The curse of pale skin!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those lovely people who gets sunburn in the winter if I'm not careful! I agree with the water and pain killer (i use tyenol or advil) recomendations... I've really found no other way to get any releif.... hope it heals soon!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never take the chance of getting sun burned. I have very pale skin and in the sun I burn in under 10 minutes. With sunblock, maybe 20 or 30 minutes.

I've had 2nd degree burns on my face from the sun when I was younger, and that was just from waking 2 or 3 blocks!!

Now I avoid the sun like the plague! I don't bother with sunblock. Instead I sit or walk in shadey areas and wear big hats with wide brims. At the beach I sit under a tree.

By doctor order in order to help boost my Vitamin D levels I have to sit out in the sun between 10am and 2pm for 10 minutes, without sunblock! I do it a few times per week, but I hate it. I sit with my back to the sun and read. If I sat with my face to the sun my face would be burned to a crisp.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a redhead, but I have just enough Native American blood to save me from severe sunburn.
Actually, I don't usually burn at all, but with skin cancer in my family history, I try to be very careful.

Went boating Saturday in the blistering Mojave desert sun, completely covered all exposed areas with spf 55 before we went out, and twice more while on the boat.
Still managed to get my shoulders burnt enough to feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Hubby is the whitest white person I have ever met, he was covered in sunblock as well, he escaped with some pink knees, but no real burn.
Because of hubby's fair skin though, I keep the Solarcaine green aloe gel in the fridge.
Stuff feels so good on sunburn.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apply yogurt to the burn for about 20 minutes before bed, just plain greek yogurt. I learn it from my grandmother so I dunno how good this is
I've tried it but really when you are burned this bad nothing could make it all better only partly alleviate the pain.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh, fellow pale one, I literally feel your pain!
I was at a parade Sunday, and my fair, redhead's skin is roasted.

I found that sage water is the best thing for sunburn, and I made a batch the other day. You need fresh or dried sage (I've only ever used fresh, from my garden). Grab a handful of leaves, put them in a heat-proof bowl, and pour as much boiling water as you think you'll need for dabbing on the affected area(s). Steep, like making tea, for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the leaves, and, when cool, dip a washcloth in the tea, and rub/dab it generously over the sunburn, and let air-dry. Repeat 1 or 2 more times in 24 hours, if needed.

This works better than anything I've ever used, and smells nice. I'd grow sage just for this reason, if I got sunburned a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, I am almost healed... and I ended up using VINEGAR of all things! My mother told me about it- I spritzed it on myself out of a squirt bottle. I smelled like a salad for the duration, but it did help take the heat and the pain away!

Trust me, I have written down aaaaaallllll of these remedies... I will need them again one day!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by orangeishcat

Well, I am almost healed... and I ended up using VINEGAR of all things! My mother told me about it- I spritzed it on myself out of a squirt bottle. I smelled like a salad for the duration, but it did help take the heat and the pain away!

Trust me, I have written down aaaaaallllll of these remedies... I will need them again one day!
Sorry--that reminded me that I forgot to recommend that--I have also used vinegar on suburn (and for skin problems in general). Great stuff!

I'm glad you're healing!!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pale skin, but the only place I burn fairly easily is my face. My skin is really sensitive in general on my face too so I have to be careful about what sunscreen I use... I can't ever remember getting much of a sunburn anywhere else but my face and maybe my scalp. I did get heat/sun rash once, that was horrible.
I'm half Italian but my siblings and I are all fairly pale-skinned, I guess we took after the German side. The nurses never have a problem drawing blood because you can see my veins clearly all the way up my arms.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a freakishly pale Irish woman, so I know how you feel. Try putting your aloe vera in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and then applying! Feels good!!!!

Ibuprofen helps with the swelling.

Cool colloidal oatmeal baths followed by a good after-sun lotion work wonders too.