The Cost Of Helping Ferals/How Do You Do It?

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here in australia we seem to behind the times with TNR programs. We just kill them - no questions asked.
I have done some research on this and on another forum I found these messages. The Grampians is a national park area...

Here in the "Grampians" the kill count for Dec03 - Jan04 is fantasic.
75 cats shot and hung on paddock fences (27 had collars on) 245 foxes
The locals were furious that their pet cats were killed outright.
Local council has given support by ignoring Cat Owners' complaints.
The fox bounty pays for ammo.
My policy is "NO TOLERANCE" %^^% cats n' foxes

another message is
A friend and I got a trap from the RSPCA (we paid a deposit which we got back on return of the trap) and got a beauty the first night. None the second, one each night for six nights. All up we got 19 feral cats in 28 nights. Not a bad catch we thought. We took each cat (in cage) to the RSPCA and they put them down.

this makes me really sad and angry
I cant even find any shelters here that are no kill - 8 days they stay then PTS

I understand the effect that feral cats & other animals can have on our native wildlife, flora & fauna - but seriously!!!! this is pathetic!!! 27 of them had collars on!!!!!!

edit - sorry this probably wasnt the forum to post this - but I was reading this post and then started doing research etc etc...

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*sigh* we just dont want to advance it seems - we can be a stubborn lot!!

where do you start - hmmm I will ponder over that question

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to the kitchen and take out as many pots, pans, bowls, glasses & cups as you can find. Place them strategically around the kitchen. Put the stopper in the sink drain and turn the faucet on full blast. (Once the faucet is on, you can not turn it off or down.) Now start bailing the water out of the sink. Let me know when you are able to catch up. Each drop of water is a litter. The "FREE" ads are the faucet. The pots, pans, bowls, glasses & cups are all rescue groups, and the sink is the "pound." You are the vessel that is bailing them out.
I think I am sighing alot tonight....

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no I arent discouraged - just hmmm whats the right word - frustrated - appalled - annoyed - determined????

I was thinking to myself this afternoon - should I volunteer somewhere for a day or something - should I do this should I do that - so thats why I started researching a whole bunch of stuff - and it really started to hit home.

I have never seen a feral cat where I live - I have no idea who would look after orphaned or abandoned kittens/ cats - I think thats why at times I never thought about it - but lately its just been itching at me so to speak. I want to help - I would LOVE to help - its just so daunting in this country I have discovered today.
But people do it - obviously - just need to work out the right approach. I am in an extremley lucky position that I could help - i could do something - but I want to help the right people

am I babbling?

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have said to Chris before - if only my home was as big as my heart - I would start my own little shelter/ farm

much to Chris' look of shock
- and then he tells me to get back to work

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ring around and do some chatting with some people about how you can help. Here is a list for you. Remember, helping out at an animal welfare organisation can involve anything from scooping litterboxes, fostering (including pregnant cats and kittens) and even helping out with paperwork or computer work like flyers or helping with web sites.

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kumbulu, thanks.

I know one of our local groups gets a booth at the local street fair every month during the summer and sells arts and crafts, other baked goods, and has donation boxes.

They seem to do pretty well...

nan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This thread is both heartwarming and heartbreaking.
I salute each and everyone of you for helping and trying to help the ferals.
I know it is a hard 24/7/365 job but the rewards are so great.
The feeling I get when I see the numbers start to drop due to my efforts of getting the cats spayed and neutered...well it is euphoria to me.
I am so sorry for the folks who live in Aus. I know how hard it is to change minds of people who don't believe in TNR. They won't even listen to reason. It was like that where I live until they saw the changes taking place over the past 2 years. Now they pretty much leave me and the kitties alone.
I live in Ohio, USA and the laws here concerning cats is pretty much non existant. One can pretty much do whatever they want to a cat and no not too many people care. One law I do know of is that authorities cannot come in your home and take your kitties. They must give you 24 hours notice first. For this law I am thankful.
God bless all of you for caring and helping the kitties.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all. To see some of the kitties I have rescued over the years please click on links below.

www.geocities.com/sunshinedingo/photopagestars.html

www.geocities.com/sunshinedingo/photopagestars2.html
www.geocities.com/sunshinedingo/photopagestars3.html
www.geocities.com/sunshinedingo/photopagestars4.html
www.geocities.com/sunshinedingo/photopagestars5.html

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nan..this is a bit OT...but how are things in Akron, OH these days? I remember last year there was quite a stir about how "anti CAT...not just anti TNR" they were.

Katie