The claw clipping compromise

iambic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first got Imogen she had no problem letting me trim her claws. Now, it's like pulling teeth. Or rather, she acts as though I'm going to pull the claws out!

I tried to clip them yesterday, and we had to have a a rather long "discussion" about her overreactions during the attempted procedure, lol. But, the good news is, I think she actually understood me!

Anyway, to begin with, I had her on my lap in a relaxed position, half on her side. I got one claw clipped, then it began. I had my left arm wrapped around her, holding her paw gently in my left hand, and had the clippers in my right. The moment I brought the clippers to within an inch of her paw, she bared her teeth and grabbed the fleshy part of my hand VERY gently. I could swear she was saying both "you hurt me, I'll hurt you," and "I don't like this, and I'm asking you to stop." This happened every time I tried to clip a claw.

So, after a few minutes of this I had to stop. I put the clippers down, cradled her, stroked her, looked in her eyes and explained to her for five minutes that I didn't mean to hurt her, and that I felt I had to do this slightly uncomfortable thing to her because her claws did in fact hurt me very much. I told her in plain English that I knew how much she liked to climb on my shoulders and back, and that I didn't like her doing it when her claws were so sharp because it would hurt me very much. I promised her that I would be as quick and gentle with the claw clipping as possible. She looked in my eyes and seemed to understand.

Well, when I picked the clippers up again and continued with the clipping attempts, she no longer tried to bite, even warningly. The most she did was flick her foot away from me when she got too scared. I clipped as quickly as possible and could tell she was getting agitated, so when I got down to the very last claw, I said out loud "just one more!" The moment I clipped that last one, she jumped off my lap and went about her merry way.

Ergo, I swear she understood that conversation, word for word.

Sometimes I really wonder about her intelligence, and sometimes she really amazes me.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have always thought that they pick up a lot from conversations.
Now I should try that tactic with Lucy. She also sounds like I'm yanking them out one by one (and the clippers are an inch from her foot
)

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the same thing! When I first got Holland I had to hold her in my mouth by her scruff to be able to clip her nails. It was the only way to have two free hands. Now, she will sit on my lap, and she still doesn't like it, but she'll let me do it. I always tell her "one more paw", "only one more nail"... and I tell her how good she is through the whole procedure. I tell her that she'll feel better with her nails clipped, and that she won't get them stuck in the carpet once I'm done. I've gotten to the point where I can do her two front paws in less than a minute!

And of course, she always gets treats afterwards...

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, what a smart kitty you have there!
I truly think that kitties understand a LOT more than most people give them credit for, they just don't always want to LISTEN.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do that, too. It seems like they can understand a lot more than most people think, if you just take the time to explain things.