The Chronicles of Jupiter

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Thank you to all who have posted on my other thread about Jupiter (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248210/cat-doesnt-seem-to-know-his-limits-and-tires-himself-out). He's actually getting a lot better with his breathing, and we're learning to really monitor him when he plays. We're giving him multiple short bursts of playtime, and if we see him starting to breathe heavy and pant, we give him a break. It seems like he's a bit overweight, and just needing to work on exercising to build up strength.

I'm going to post little updates about various things about him as I go along here. We've had him since August 20th, and he seems to be starting to settle in, and we're starting to get used to him and learn about all his little quirks.

I'm working on changing (as much as possible!) three of his behaviours right now: meowing all the time, jumping on the kitchen counter, and getting too aggressive with my hands/arms/legs while he is in a playful mood.

Meowing:

He cries quite frequently while we are around, and he just seems to be seeing attention, or food! He stops immediately as soon as we pet him, feed him or play with him. A tip that I saw somewhere else on this site is really working this evening; talking to him and giving him positive encouragement whenever he's quiet, and ignoring him when he cries. So far it has been a fairly peaceful evening while I have done this, while on previous evenings I've been driven bonkers to the point that I want to go to bed early just to get some peace and quiet (we close our bedroom door at night to keep Jupiter out, and he's amazingly good at respecting this).

Countertop:

On previous nights, I have just tried telling him NO firmly, which doesn't really seem to get my point across. I then tried a squirt bottle, always being careful to aim for his back half so I don't get water in his face or ears. This is effective at the time, but then minutes later he hops up again....it almost seems like it's a game to make me come chase him. Right now I've got tinfoil all over the counter, and he's tried jumping up twice and slipped, and then jumped back down. This seems good for now, but I'm worried he may slip and fall the wrong way and possibly hurt himself. I saw another tip on here where someone bought one of those plastic computer mats with the little pointy plastic nubs on them, cut it to size and put it on the counter with the pointy nubby side up. Apparently it doesn't hurt them, but they hate the feel so they jump down. The next time I'm out at the store I'm going to pick up some and try it for myself.

Aggressive Playing:

Sometimes if I am sitting on the floor playing with him and he's all hyper and playful, he will all of a sudden turn on me and start to nip at my hand. If I can't get my hand away and break that "play/attack" train of thought, he'll wrap his front paws around my wrist, start kicking at me and biting. Same thing happens if he's playing near my feet or knees, he will start with a bit of light nipping and then progress to latching on to me and getting more aggressive. (I think this is something cats do to their prey, so for some reason he thinks I'm something to eat? Any advice on why he's doing this would be welcome!) If I try to pry him off of me, that just results in more attacking. The spray bottle works to get him to stop, but then I think he may think I'm attacking him, and may see my hands and myself as a threat, which perhaps causes more attacks? Once again, on the advice of this website, tonight I tried hissing at him a bit when he started going after me. He immediately stopped and backed off, and let out a little meow that sounded quite submissive and almost like "I'm sorry". Perhaps all I needed to do was "speak his language" to get across what I meant.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I always love to read them. This website is such a good resource for me, especially for learning about Jupiter because I have never owned a cat this young before, so I'm kind of in a new territory. I'll keep everyone posted here about anything new with Jupiter or how the above issues go. Thanks, and we'll see you around the site! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgespal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah.....I've been meaning to write all these things in separate, smaller posts throughout the week.....it didn't happen 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the countertops, we've had good luck with putting masking tape long the front top edge, with the sticky side up.  The cat can't see it from the floor, and it's a nasty surprise when they jump up.  We broke our cats completely of it on the kitchen counters.

When you get an adult cat, you get the quirks along with the love.  It's just part of the territory.

Maybe Jupiter needs a companion so he won't feel so lonely?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, for the countertops we tried all kinds of things. What worked for us? Filling them up completely. We took stuff out of the cupboards and put them on the countertops. Yes, total PIA for the month we did this, as we had to put stuff back in the cabinets to USE the counter tops. :lol3: But it worked.

For someone else what worked was REMOVING everything from the countertops so they were bare. The cats lost interest. They kept them bare for about a month too, if I recall....

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as the meowing goes, I've had an evolving approach to this over the past couple of years (we are relatively new to cat keeping.)  This article from my favorite cat blog has given me a nice addition to my approach to their requests for attention.  I ask them to "show me" what they want and it works quite well.  If I don't have time for what they want, they can at least get a quick word of greeting or a little head scritch. 

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/cat-communication-move-show-me/10174

The cat blog I linked is fantastic and if you explore it you will find all sorts of great info. 

Here's another link that relates to the aggression issue...

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/what-makes-our-cats-explode/13731

She addresses the counter top issue somewhere too, but I'll let you look for that one.  :)  I don't remember if anything is mentioned that hasn't been mentioned here.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GeorgesPal  
Aggressive Playing:

Sometimes if I am sitting on the floor playing with him and he's all hyper and playful, he will all of a sudden turn on me and start to nip at my hand. If I can't get my hand away and break that "play/attack" train of thought, he'll wrap his front paws around my wrist, start kicking at me and biting. Same thing happens if he's playing near my feet or knees, he will start with a bit of light nipping and then progress to latching on to me and getting more aggressive. (I think this is something cats do to their prey, so for some reason he thinks I'm something to eat? Any advice on why he's doing this would be welcome!) If I try to pry him off of me, that just results in more attacking. The spray bottle works to get him to stop, but then I think he may think I'm attacking him, and may see my hands and myself as a threat, which perhaps causes more attacks? Once again, on the advice of this website, tonight I tried hissing at him a bit when he started going after me. He immediately stopped and backed off, and let out a little meow that sounded quite submissive and almost like "I'm sorry". Perhaps all I needed to do was "speak his language" to get across what I meant.
IMO sometimes cats can get overexcited when you're playing with or petting them.  To stop the behavior watch the cat's body language very carefully while you're interacting with it, and at even  the slighest indication that the aggressive play is about to start move your hand very quickly away.  So all you have to do is be faster than the cat is, and please don't use a spray bottle to try to stop the behavior because that really will make him afraid of you.