The Cats & The Dog (Help!!!)

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This isn't really a behaviour thread... more of a DIY handyperson thread lol! I wasn't sure where to put it though so. 

A week ago one of my close friends moved in with her 3 year old dog, to my one bedroom apartment (for the next 6 months). We fashioned a bedroom for her out of bookshelves etc, and she has a curtain across her door, but there are spaces underneath that kittens fit through, and only the curtain blocking the door. 

The dog has a very high chase drive and can't be trusted with the kittens (he's ok as long as they don't run anywhere... yeah...). I knew this, as I've lived with him before, and I love him dearly. However I would have never offered for them to move in with me (she round about invited herself and I felt like I couldn't say no, especially not since she allowed me to live with her for a very low rent a couple of years back when I was struggling). Hard for her to find somewhere to go with the dog. 

So the situation as we have it is this: the dog is crated when we aren't home and the cats have the run of the house. When the dog is out, the kittens are barricaded into my bedroom & under the stairs area. As long as I'm in here with them they're more than content to be in here, but when I'm not in here they cry at the "wall". 

This evening when I went to enter our space, the kittens bolted for the opening and I wasn't quick enough (and had hands full) to catch them both. Miami got out and took off, and Cash chased her. No harm done, but it scared the crap out of me, and next time it may not end so well. 

My bedroom door doesn't close securely, so shutting them in the bedroom only isn't an option (plus it is already very crowded in here with their furniture plus mine, and I'd like to avoid having a litterbox in my bedroom if possible. 

Ideas on how to create a safety zone between their space and his so that I can come in without worrying about them getting out, or how to contain them in general (and how to fortify my barricade for when they are older... they will be able to get over the current barricade once they're bigger). 

This is the barricade from inside my bedroom. It slides sideways to the left to let people in and out. Leads to the kitchen. Bedroom door doesn't close securely. One thought I had was attaching a cord of some sort to the doorknob-hole and running it along the ceiling to dangle on the outside of the barricade so that I can shut the door temporarily while I move the barricade to come inside. The problem with that theory is if the cats are on the outside of the bedroom door. I can't do anything very permanent because it's a rented apartment.

Barricade from the outside, leading into my room.

Leading from the kitchen out to the living room. Possibly could put a low gate of some sort here to keep the dog on the outside? He can jump quite high but it might be enough of an obstacle to slow reaction times? 

He is a heeler/pointer cross, so fairly large and very athletic.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
A baby gate would work wonders. You can double them up if you feel the dog can jump over. I think you should let the cats jump, come and go as they please, as they'll know that room would be safe for them to get away from the dog.

Also, do you have tall cat trees/condos? Some place for the cats to jump up and out of the way? I suggest several of those, tall as you can get it.. if they happen to be in the same room, the cats can run UP and out of the pup's reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking I might put a baby gate before the barricade. Just enough of something that he wouldn't be able to get to them right away if they got into that space. A few people have suggested that (thank you! :) )

I'm definitely not letting them come and go from his space while he is loose. I don't trust him and they are completely inept at dog body language lol. They love dogs (our landlords have a dog who is good with cats and they think she is the best thing since sliced bread) so when they see Cash they want to run up to him and weave around his legs. 

They have one cat tree in my room, and there are tons of spaces in the living area that are low to the ground and small that they can get into easily but he can't. 

If the kittens were older I'd maybe be more willing to let them out together, but they're only 4 months old (and a very tiny 4 months at that. Midget cats.) 

fizzgig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely agree with the baby gate!! They work wonders, while we don't have issues with the cats and the dog getting along we use them to prevent the dog from getting to the litter boxes that she feels have tasty treats. Not only do the baby gates provide barricades but they are a good way to introduce the kittens safely to the dog, you can do supervised visits on either side of the gate, one person sitting with the dog and one person sitting with, holding the kittens allowing them to sniff each other through the baby gate. You could also try feeding/giving treats the dog and kittens on either side of the gate, start both a few feet from the gate and as they get more comfortable with it slowly move them closer until everyone eats on either side of the gate without caring about each other. Once that starts going well you can leash the dog and get harnesses and leashes for the kittens, allowing them to be in the same room but holding onto the dogs leash while letting the kittens drag their leashes, this allows some interaction but also allows you to control the interaction (make sure the dog cant slip out of his collar). I would also get small cat tunnels, enclosures that are firm (not just fabric and collapsible) that allow the cats to get into them and the dog cant get to them, the one I use the most is actually a small wire dog crate meant for Yorkshire terrier sized dogs that has 2 doors and I use it as a tunnel to an area our dog cant get into, the crate blocks the one entrance our dog can fit through and she cant force her way into/through/past the crate.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baby gates are a great idea.  You can even get one that has a small pet door opening that would allow the cats to get in and out but keep the large dog out.  We have one we use and it works really well.  They come in all different sizes from extra wide to extra tall.  Just do a search on Amazon.  Here is an extra tall one as an example
Not sure if this would work for your situation or not, but you could get a cheap wooden screen door at Lowes ($20) and attach it with tension rods (2 pack $4).  It allows the animals to hear and see each other, but also keeps them safe.  It is a bit of a pain to move, but the screen is very light weight.  I keep a baby gate across the threshold too so when I move the screen door no one can get in or out.  Here is a picture of my set up with the screen door and baby gate.

fizzgig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea we have one of the baby gates( exactly like the one you have pictured) with the cat door in it and our dog who is anAustralian shepherd border collie mix can squeeze through that tiny door!!!! So we have to let the cats jump over yea baby gate but it is worth the money cause it's still easy for us to get in and out of the room

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it :)

I'm not really looking to integrate the cats and the dog together, because I don't think he'll ever be 100% trustworthy and since it's a temporary situation I don't think it's necessary . Saying that, though, we do allow the kittens out with him on a leash and held sometimes, and they play and he lies down and watches, and he is actually pretty good until they run anywhere. Which they do. Frequently. Crazy girls. 

I'm thinking for now I'm going to go with a combo of kitten training (they are already catching onto a "tower!" command to get up on their tower, and a way for me to close and open the inside door from outside the barricade. This way, even if they're outside the inside door (wait what lol) I can give them the tower command to get them inside the inside door so I can close it and then enter without them escaping. Thinking  I'll go to Rona and get a long rod and attach a hook to the end for door opening/closing. 

Once they are bigger, I'll make their barricade taller and stronger, and add a baby gate on the outside of it. I feel like I'm going to continually edit my barricades through the course of the next 6 months lol. Here's hoping the kittens don't get too big? haha. They have a ways to go before they'll be able to get over the current barricade