The cats name

berger1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If a cat has a name and u want to change it, how long will it take the cat to get used to the new name? Is it a good idea to change it? Jw

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It varies. Some cats may respond to a new name right away, others may ignore you (oh, wait. Cats do that anyways
). I changed my rescue cat's name and she responded after a few days. I still use her old name once in awhile.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
depends on where they got their name.  At shelters we just assign names to cats unless they are surrendered with a name.  Don't know about cats but our dog trainer says it takes about 1000 times of using the name.  When ever you wants the cat's attention say the name first.  Good Luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berger1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok bc the cat im getting is one years old and he was just given a name at the shelter...i just dont like it that much and it doesnt fit him well so i was going to pick something that suits him.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok bc the cat im getting is one years old and he was just given a name at the shelter...i just dont like it that much and it doesnt fit him well so i was going to pick something that suits him.
The shelter does not intend for you to use the name.  They don't.  It is just a way of keeping track of who's who.  Just give him a name you like & stick to it.  My cat came with a name he knew so  this was not a problem for me.  I got a new shelter cat, gave her a name & just use it.  She will get with the plan sooner or later.  We cats it is usually later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berger1990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you so much for help!!!

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats and names, I am not much sure of.  It is not important at all to keep the shelter name, but after a year and a half I remain unconvinced that the two we have care one bit about their names. ;-)

So name him what you like and say the name a lot associated with him, and maybe he will get it.  Or maybe he won't.