The cat that got away (almost)

northwest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was outside sitting in a lawn chair enjoying the summer weather with my cat lying on my lap. He's an exclusive indoor cat since a kitten.  While petting him he got spooked and jumped off my lap ran to the side of the house, climbed up the fence into the back yard. I ran back to get him as he jumped the fence to the front yard and ran down the street. Of course I was frantic to loose a family member.

He turned around and looked at me. I called his name to come and he ran full speed toward me, but zoomed past around the house to the back fence again.  Lucky I keep his claws trimmed. He struggled getting over the fence when I leaped forward and grabbed him before he made it over into the yard and perhaps lost for good.

I finally got him in the house and he was calm. I gave him hugs to reassure him.

I began to think how our feline family members still maintain a wild streak - that innate desire to run free and get away from perceived danger, and do all the wild things that cats love to do.  I was wondering if he truly loved being with me and his home.  I would think he wouldn't run away if he did.

Have you ever felt like this when your cat almost got away?  My initial thought is when an animal runs away it is a sign that particular animal/human relationship was never meant to be. In other words it questions the strength of the bond. In my case do you think I'm wrong in my assumption? He does run and hide under the bed in the house when he gets startled. When in the house it is obvious he has strongly bonded to me.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and/or experiences.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you were able to catch him.  If he was frightened it does not surprise me that he ran away.  Inside is his home and I am sure outside is very scary.

If you do take him outside again, though I do not recommend it, consider a harness and a leash to tether him to you in case he gets spooked.  Do not leave the leash loose in case he does get away, he will not get caught up by the leash.

Personally, my cat going outside is a nightmare.  At least once a week after backing out of the attached garage, I have to turn around and come back through my circle to make sure the garage door is closed.  I am afraid the inside door might come open and let the cats into the garage, allowing them to escape when I open the garage door upon returning.

Last edited:

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had one that did get away..indoor cat for 2 years in my house..was going on a trip to Philadelphia in July of 2009..got up at 5:00 and met him at his food bowl..fed him and went upstairs to shower..went downstairs and he wasnt around..no big deal..our ride called and said they would be at our house in 10 mins..

Now we started looking for him in earnest to say goodbye..we were only going to be gone for about 36 hours..not answering our calls, not under the bed..walked downstairs and noticed (now I have my contacts in) that the screen in the window next to the front door had fallen out..he was out and about..

prior to leaving called HomeAgain as he was chipped..but had to get going.

Upon returning I put up flyers on our gang mailboxes..some sightings of a cat similar in our neighborhood but not him..even put out humane traps at ladys house cause she "saw him"..caught what she saw but it wasnt him..I was devastated and beaten..

On Nov 19th, 4 months to the day he got away my phone rings...I see on the caller ID that its my cat's vet hospital...I knew he was do for his yearly physical and figured thats what they wanted.the Dr says " is this Glenn"?..i say "yes"..he says "we have your cat"

Turns out my cat had made his way to the subdivision to the west of me (maybe 300 yds)..a lady was feeding him and wanted to give him to a friend..brought him to our local vet, which was mine..they scanned  him for a chip and my name popped up..

whats my point?..well #1 I was extremely lucky that I had my guy chipped when I got him..but if youre cat isnt an outdoor cat dont try to make him one..

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fact that your cat went around the house, I was wondering if your cat has a quick access to go inside when you are relaxing outside with him. Although none of my cats are indoor, if they get spooked they immediately run in the house. Besides a cat flap, there is a window or door open for them. 

I don't think it has to do with some kind of bonding. A cat will go to the place it feels safe whenever something upsets it.