The Cat Rescuers

delia t

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm Delia. We've always had cats in our family, for as long as I can remember. About two years ago, we were down to three oldies: Shadow, an all black long hair that came with the house when my parents bought it, Precious, a long haired tabby we rescued after a vet friend of the family repaired her broken hip in a car accident, and Frank a sickly gray stray found at my dads work.

Well, then our neighbor decided to start feeding whatever strays that came by her house, and before we knew it, it had gotten out of hand. Kittens were being born left and right and the numbers were growing before we could capture a couple to fix them. And so our four babies came along.

It started with Paco. He was found on our porch on Cinco de Mayo, dehydrated, half dead and infested with fleas. After a few baths and some force fed food and water, he came around.

A few months later, while I was out of town, my mother saved the next one. I had seen this one around next door as it was the most friendly of all the ferals I had seen. My neighbor even had the nerve to tell me that she had gotten eye drops for his poor red and raw eyes. It was a perfectly clear lie as the skinny think sneezed and hacked away in her arms. I had nick named him Quasimodo and the name just stuck after mom took him in to the vet.

My parents "put their foot down". They said no more. 

Until we saw Oliver. A new litter of kittens had been born to both Paco and Quasi's mother- all Siamese with the exception of the runt. Only he didn't continue to grow like his siblings. It was sickening to see how small he was, hardly able to move from my neighbors porch. Finally, I had had enough, and went and took him from her porch one night. And then of course I cried, because this poor little thing was hardly alive at all. He couldn't crawl away once he saw me. His little arms and legs were just bones and fur. Turns out had we not interfered, he most definitely would have died. He had a virus eating him away from the inside out and nearly died. His ailments seemed to disappear until suddenly, an entire year later, he began to have seizures. To this day we're still unsure why. We put him on antibiotics that seemed to work, but the moment we took him off of them, the seizures returned. And so the vet told us we might as well keep him on them. And an entire month later, we was off of them. He was never the same and still has a small tilt to his head, but as long as he's happy, so are we.

Around the time of his seizures ending, I saved another Siamese kitten for my friend. Milo still lives with her, and even visited us last Christmas.

And my fathers little rescue ran under his car and wouldn't move until he picked her up. Kida had few issues- everything seemed dwarfed by Oliver's ailments -and here we are a whole two years since saving Paco. 

We can't take any more. With Paco, Quasi, Oliver, Kida, Precious and Frank living in doors, and my two cousins cats we can't find homes for living out doors, we're absolutely booked for space. We chase off as many cats from our yard despite how hard it is. My fathers taken to feeding one of the three legged cats, whom I've nick named Tetra, who lives in our back yard out of pity. 

And now for pictures of the beauties!

Paco when we found him and six months later:

Quasi before and after:

Oliver:

Milo:

Kida:

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of our other cats on hand.