The best cats are the ones that find you

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have six cats. I would be a crazy cat lady but I'm married. DH is an engineer; I'm a successful self employed technical writer (18 years). We live in the Southwest on a couple of acres on the fringes of a largish city.

All the kitties we have are foundlings; acquired as kittens except the one that conveyed with the property (Farm Cat). I've long believed that the best animals are the ones that find you. So, I've been found by a lot of kittens and kept every one of them. We had more but they are dearly departed.

Rundown, oldest to youngest:

Mommy: 18 year old british shorthair. Used to be such a horrid cat; nasty and hateful. The only reason we haven't made carnitas out of her was because she worshiped my son (it's his cat). As she's aged, especially over the last five years, she's become a darling. Sweetest thing ever. Starts purring before you touch her. Doesn't care what you do to her, she purrs. I'm really going to miss her. She's a very small cat, maybe 6 pounds. I'm surprised she hasn't died yet, she was Dx'ed with an enlarged heart a few years ago. Always had bad eyes too.

Right: 13 year old male tabby. His twin brother (Left) died in 2005. Right has gone through 8.99 of his lives. Broke his jaw playing (I invented a jaw harness and can send instructions if you need one), then he broke his back but far enough back that he's not incontinent but his tail drags. His health is the most fragile of all the cats. Dx'ed with lupus, he may have cancer now, we don't know. Was lanky at 12 pounds, he's now down to 10.

Colita: 12 year old mostly white tabby Manx. Very funny cat, loves people but not wild on other cats. Very alpha but also pint sized (7 lbs). Has always been prone to eye problems. When distressed, can howl loud enough to peel paint.

Farm Cat: 12 years old, alpha britsh shorthair, very large, 13 lbs and very skinny. He conveyed with the property we bought 3 years ago so we don't have history on him. Suspect he was neutered late because he sprays. Former owner said he couldn't be carried or held, that he was friendly but distant. I don't think he got that memo; he'd be in my lap/arms all day if I let him. He's very possessive of me and it creates a problem since I'd been strictly Right's property.

Batface: 11 years old, xenophobic feral solid black cat, descended from however many generations of ferals. He's the glue of our colony, he LOVES cats. Doesn't like being touched except on his head. He will pet himself on you (shin bruiser). Afraid of strangers, don't know what we'd do without him. Has to be medicated to go to the vet because it distresses him so much.

Blanca: 9 year old chunky tabby/siamese mix. A truly psychotic cat, very unhappy. I call her Muffy because I'm going to make a muff out of her when she passes so I can finally get some enjoyment out of her. She was my husband's before we married. He had never liked cats but kept her by default when he found her injured (face split open, still has the scar)  in his pool house. She adores him, hates everyone and everything else. We had her on meds for awhile, didn't seem to work. I just feel so bad for her because she seems so unhappy. She'll bite or attack anyone (humans, other cats) if he's not around. She tolerates me petting her when he's around. I keep hoping she'll turn sweet like Mommy did. Mommy used to be absolutely horrid. 

Oh, and DH does love cats now. I call him the Cat Mattress. We're both allergic to cats too.

So that's us. Now I'm off to compare notes/case histories for my boy-cat Right.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a nice post. Welcome to TCS.  Yes, the cats that find you are special.  My Silly wandered up one day with several kittens, and I have had her for 13 years now.  I like the way you talk about your cats. Cat carnitas? Muffy the muff?  I know the statements are humorous to me and most of us, but be prepared to get some hateful replies.  I always tell Sheba that she would make a good set of fur-lined underwear, because she is soooo soft.

Thank you for sharing your clowder with us.  Can we expect some pictures?  I hope so.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the title too! I never wanted a cat or planned on getting a cat, but here I am, owned by one.

My hubby jokes that if Aria were bigger, she would get made into mittens for him since her fur is so soft and warm. Alas she's too little for two mittens, and one would be useless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like the way you talk about your cats. Cat carnitas? Muffy the muff?  I know the statements are humorous to me and most of us, but be prepared to get some hateful replies.
I'm flattered by your concern, it shows welcoming better than any other example. Thank you.

At to your point; it's tragic that some suffer from that most paralyzing of disabilities having been born without a sense of humor so all one can do is ponder,  pity or perhaps even envy, someone whose sum experience is limited to first world problems. Live in a war zone for awhile and you learn to prioritize your outrage. Each of us can only save so much of the world.

PS. Maybe I take license to joke about kitty carnitas because we don't eat meat of any kind. If its got a face, we don't eat it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never lived in a war zone, but I am a Vietnam War veteran.  I was in the Navy on a hunter-killer submarine in the Pacific Ocean.

I like the quote "If its got a face, we don't eat it"

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Updating on Right's condition with the idea this may be helpful to someone later on.

He was diagnosed with Lupus several months ago. When steroids didn't clear it up, it seemed nasal cancer was left. We declined a CAT scan ($2,000) since it presumes one would do chemo and surgery which we decided not to do. As far as I've read, cats with this cancer only live a year after treatment and really didn't want to make his last year miserable, nor our last year with him so stressful.

So! After that I looked and found a vet who'd put him to sleep at home when the time came. One thing she told me was to put him back on the steroids (even tho I said it wasn't helping) because steroids could minimize swelling and resultant pain he might be having (we can't tell if he's in pain). Liver damage from prolonged steroid use wasn't as much of a concern considering he was already on the way out with the cancer. In addition, I'd also gotten some painkillers from the vet. So I did those two things.

Then I started babying him more since he was on his way out. By babying, I mean I put him on canned cat food (all our cats eat dry food). So this is where things get weird -he got better. He's gained weight, stopped wheezing, is grooming himself again and for all intents and purposes, appears to be normal.

These are some ideas I have so far.

1. The reason cancer was suspected was because Right didn't respond to the treatment for Lupus. If he has Lupus, the steroids used to treat it weren't doing the job because he was puking so much. There is always cat gack around, we never know who it is from but I have noticed quite a bit less since Right started on canned food. So, I conclude he's gacking less and keeping the steroids down.

2. Or, he may still have cancer but is now in remission.

Only time will tell.

theboysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too like so many others here inherited my boys. I didn't plan on owning a cat but they just kept showing up on my fathers door step and when he died I felt responsible for them, so they came home with me.

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Updating again in the event this helps someone else down the road.

Right has taken another turn for the worse. Lethargic, not eating, blood work is very bad. Vet describes his condition as "guarded" (still trying to figure out what that means).

His globulin is literally off the charts (high, 12 something). Albumin is low. The AG ratio is very low so it is looking like FIP. A site I lost the link to says "When the ratio is less than 0.6, FIP is possible; when 0.3 or lower, FIP is highly likely." My cat's AG ratio is .2

Vet hasn't mentioned FIP; he might not be thinking of it since it is rare and Right is older.  FIP is very difficult to diagnose, especially the dry form in older cats because it mimics so many other things. So who knows what the story is. First the cat was dxed with lupus. Then nasal cancer (unconfirmed). Now who knows, we go back today when I will mention the FIP possibility to the vet. The cat, to date, hasn't had a fever.

I see the disease being described as horrible, not exactly sure what that means. My cat is comfortable as best as I can tell, he's in our "cat hospital" (an extra large kennel, all fixed up with comfy stuff) and prefers being in there. I know that's not a good sign. I'm also forcefeeding him some SD high cal wet food. He's on vitamins and vibramycin. I hope he'll go into remission but even so, if it is FIP, it will only be temporary. I'm shopping for a tree to plant and having the landscaper dig a hole for it.

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had to put him down August 30th. Cause of illness remains undetermined. We buried him under a sapling in a pretty spot in the yard. The challenge now... my son is nursing the tree. I have to keep him from watering it so much that the roots rot.

He was such a sweet cat. Rotten luck tho.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't actually a reply. It's more a cry for help. I don't know how to start to write in the newbie forum. Just joined and already causing problems. :-(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really was rotten luck. A few years ago I adopted 2 kittens from the cat shelter. Gorgeous little girls. A tabby called Daisy and what I call a tortoiseshell called Lilly. They climbed out of the cage as if they owned the place
Started to explore straight away. Ate. Drank. Used their loo and then played with their toys. The were affectionate. Didn't bite or scratch. 2 happy babies. After a month it all went down hill. No eating. No drinking. No playing. Swollen tummies. Vet said they both had IFP. Well I gave them one month of love and happiness. Tomorrow I will tell you about my cats of today.

mrswhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To Kathleen,

You can still be a crazy cat lady whilst married ;)

I have to say, even through your unfortunate post updates about Right's condition, I couldn't help but notice that you are an amazing writer. I don't know you but I can just hear your voice shine through your writing. Brilliant, really. I have a jealousy for writers like you, to include my husband. I would love to read some of the work you may have done, if this is at all possible and not too forward? It would be an honour.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@kathleen. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when they go more especially if you've had them for a long time. I had to send my lotto to rainbow bridge in may. I didn't ask my vet to see to it as I would have had to go there. A friend of mine's son is a vet and he came here. As I live in an apartment there is nowhere for me to bury him. He was cremated and that was that. I have my memories. For you it seems to have been very hard especially as your vet didn't seem to know exactly what was wrong and it went on for some time. We have here a pate that is very smooth called Recovery made by Royal Canin. I hand fed lotto that and if he managed a full tin that was a good day. He should have ate at least 3 cans. I also had to hold his water bowl to try to get him to drink. Not always successfully. He slept with me under the covers. How I miss that firm furry body. Only animal lovers can understand the pain we feel. My cleaner also cried. She'd also known him for over 18 years. A lot of split infinitives. Sorry. Look after your plant.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@kathleen. Sorry a terrible grammar mistake. He should have 'eaten' .....

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to say, even through your unfortunate post updates about Right's condition, I couldn't help but notice that you are an amazing writer. I don't know you but I can just hear your voice shine through your writing. Brilliant, really. I have a jealousy for writers like you, to include my husband. I would love to read some of the work you may have done, if this is at all possible and not too forward? It would be an honour.
Oh blush. Maybe I'll share it privately, it's technical writing for the most part. Sometimes rank but always opinionated, I manage to annoy my corner of the blogosphere. I halfheartedly fantasize about retiring after writing a wildly successful series of ebooks (fiction) but for lack of an idea will have to settle for what I've got. No complaints, writing has been better to me than I ever had reason to aspire.

@kathleen. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when they go more especially if you've had them for a long time. I had to send my lotto to rainbow bridge in may. I didn't ask my vet to see to it as I would have had to go there. A friend of mine's son is a vet and he came here. As I live in an apartment there is nowhere for me to bury him. He was cremated and that was that.
I'm so sorry...odd that one never knows quite what to say in the way of condolences.

Our local county regulations forbid backyard pet burials and most of the (city) vets enforce it. Living on the rural outskirts as we do, vets look the other way. It seems silly to tell someone with acreage that they can't bury their own dog or cat and I dare say we understand the consequences of potentially diseased carrion better than suits at county hall. On the other hand, it could be that rural vets are just happy if we get the animals vaccinated and don't want to push their luck.

The oddity of it all, having 5 cats, I don't have one of my own now. Right was like a dog and followed his lap everywhere. Right also liked to cuddle under the covers and now there is no one. The 3 girl cats belong to the cat mattress (DH). Batface belongs to himself and I belong to Farm Cat. There is less reciprocity with FC since he must remain outdoors (sprays) and of course, his singular job when he was indoors was to keep everyone away from me. Currently, he's recuperating from the hyperthyroid radioactive iodine treatment so he's kenneled in my workshop for at least another week. Moans pitifully he does. Have you noticed that the aggregate sorrows of the world can be summarized in the wail of a pitiful meow? The doggies sit alongside his kennel and keep him company when they're not under my desk.

I'll have to look into Recovery. With a passel of senior cats, it'll come in handy.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recovery is really good. It's easy to digest and swallow and it's good for them especially when they need building up. I feel awful not having anywhere to go to mourn them. 45 years ago my cat in England died. I wasn't there anymore. My family lived in London. They spoke to the local council who said they could bury her in the back garden as long as it was 6 feet. Mum and Dad wrapped her in a white sheet, buried her and mum planted a rose bush over her. Just before I lost my last cat he started to cry when he walked, cried in the litter box, cried on his way back. The day he stopped and looked at me so sadly I knew it was time. I asked a vet to come to me. I felt like a murderer arranging for him to be put down. It still hurts so much. I now have 2 kitties asleep on my lap. An abandoned siamese I called whisky and a tiny black and white street cat I called blighty! Blighty is a sort of slang for Britain used by the British soldiers in the 2 world wars and a mix of black and white.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are my 2 babies. The siamese, Whisky, about 10 months.
The black and white, Blighty, about 2-1/2 months.
They adore each other. Whisky washes him non stop. Blighty is suckling from whisky who let's him. They are both males! And they play and play and love playing on mummy's bed when she is sleeping.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. I hope I'm in the right place. I joined a few days ago. I'm finding this a lovely site. How I love cats and cat people.

kathleenf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are lovely cats. The black and white one is best known as a "British short hair".  They are reputed to be the most even tempered of cats. My Mommy Cat and Farm Cat are both british short hairs.

Why would anyone abandon a Siamese? More likely he got lost or found his environment inhospitable. It's good he found you. They are my favorites. I'd get one but... well, it would have to find me or be a foundling. I don't have the heart to get a cat or kitten from anywhere but a shelter or fostering family. Truly tho, I shouldn't get any. I'm getting older so we should downsize our herd. Through attrition obviously.