The Battle Of Age

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is more of a guessing game I suppose. The shelter I am currently fostering for told me these kittens were 14 days old when I got them. But, the ears were just beginning to unpin and were still folded. I say that they were only 7-10 days old. Not a huge deal, except that they are saying the kittens are currently 1 month old and I need to bring them in next week for shots. I don't know if shots at their age will hurt them or not. I mean, they just finished the antibiotics and are trying to heal their little tummies.

This is a horrible picture, but I didn't take one when I brought them home and could only pull this one from their site. Since I am adopting the other 2, they pulled the info.

How old does she appear to you guys.
Expresso.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with you that the kitten looks to be no more than 2 weeks old at most. I've not heard of giving shots to a 4-week-old kitten anyway. Vaccines usually start at 8 weeks.

Another clue is teeth. Four-week-olds usually have their baby teeth. Do they have any teeth yet?

Also, 4-week-olds are walking fairly well and beginning to climb and tussle a bit.

I hope you can work this out with the shelter you foster for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0004.JPG
They are getting teeth and starting to eat solids-mostly...well, kind of. But they are definitely walking and jumping around. There is nothing I can really do about the vaccine age. Until they are officially on the adoption table, I don't own them. In my approximation they were born 3/20. The shelter claims they are older than that.

This is the same cat a taken on 4/11. I couldn't get a clear picture since she zooms around so much.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In this picture the kitten looks a bit older. It sounds like they may be very close to 4 weeks old.

Vaccines can sometimes cause kittens to feel ill for 2-3 days afterwards. It can put them off their food and cause lethargy.

Do you know why this shelter vaccinates them so young?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No idea. They said bring them in this coming week, then they do another round in 2 weeks.
Maybe it's because they fix them and adopt them out as soon as they are 2 lbs or 8 weeks. Which ever comes later.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That must be the reason. Do you know which two you are keeping?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two gingers. I wish I could keep them all, but more fosters will be coming and I'm going to have to keep these two in another part of the house so they don't catch anything from any others. I just can't handle three kittens and who knows how many more.

My son is adopting this one using him as a teething ring. He named her Onsa.
IMG_0002.JPG

And I am adopting Puss n' Boots eyes. I named her Samai
IMG_0005.JPG