The "As Seen On TV" Tread!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have fantastic sales resistance, especially when it comes to these TV offers, which are just elaborate exercises in psychological manipulation. My mom, on the other hand, is Lucy Ricardo to the max -- she falls for every silly pitch she hears. She came home from Wal-Mart with a PediPaws awhile back, and I hung my head in despair.

"Mom," I reasoned, "if we can't even get these cats to hold still for a quick snip with a tiny little clipper, how are we going to get them to let us grind their claws down with a big noisy machine?"

"Well... the kitties on TV seem to like it."

"Oh, mom," I said gently, laying a hand on her shoulder. "They've probably got those kitties so hopped up on 'nip they could trim their claws with a lawnmower."

She laughed and we took the blasted thing back to Wal-Mart.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I have fantastic sales resistance, especially when it comes to these TV offers, which are just elaborate exercises in psychological manipulation. My mom, on the other hand, is Lucy Ricardo to the max -- she falls for every silly pitch she hears. She came home from Wal-Mart with a PediPaws awhile back, and I hung my head in despair.

"Mom," I reasoned, "if we can't even get these cats to hold still for a quick snip with a tiny little clipper, how are we going to get them to let us grind their claws down with a big noisy machine?"

"Well... the kitties on TV seem to like it."

"Oh, mom," I said gently, laying a hand on her shoulder. "They've probably got those kitties so hopped up on 'nip they could trim their claws with a lawnmower."

She laughed and we took the blasted thing back to Wal-Mart.
LMAO!!! Omg thats hilarious and sounds like my excuse to by something stupid...Thank heavens I take my conscious along with me when I go to WalMart otherwise Id have come home a snuggie for my dog today!!!!! I was very firmly told NO WAY JOSE and dragged down the coffee aisle

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

I take after my mother and am what my father calls "A Salesman's Dream".
I'm beginning to feel like I'm the same way. The green stuff was Nads & I totally agree, no it did not work.

I also bought some hair removal stuff that you just sprayed on. Worked fine on the legs, but the underarms. Well lets just say I couldn't put my arm down for days due to the chemical burn.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

OK folks...'fess up...what informercial/As Seen On TV products have you purchased, do you want to purchase, or do you wonder if they really do what is claimed on the TV?
I really really wonder about this one!! Bullet Express
http://www.buybulletexpress.com/
........the TV demo's are so darn impressive. I also love drinking fresh vegetable juices and this thing "becomes" a power juicer by simply adding/shifting a few du-dads (or so they say), all included in the original price (approx.$120 (IIRC))

I bought some blue dryer balls at Bed Bath & Beyond --I currently use them for decor
- one of these days I do intend to use them properly (in the dryer!)

Originally Posted by nurseangel

I bought a Turbo-cooker years ago, don't think they sell them anymore, but it's great.
I turned my Turbo Cooker into a regular pan after about a week. I felt duped. And yeah,I don't think they're made anymore.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion:

Ped Egg = waste of $ (tried it, didn't like it)

Mighty Mend-it = sorta works, but definitely not like advertised
Also I understand it is a knockoff of Sew-No-More and similar products that have been around for years

Snuggie = I don't own one. I just use a robe (although a robe will leave your calves and feet exposed)

==========

What I'd like to see in action:

the TOBI garment steamer
(pitch = "Get wrinkle-free clothes in seconds without ironing or a trip to the cleaners")
http://www.tobisteamer.com/

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Proud owner of Space Bags, Ped Egg and EZ-Combs here!

Space Bags I have about a 50/50 chance of them staying sealed I think I pack to much stuff in them.

Ped Eggs ROCK!
I'm buying a lifetime supply .

The EZ Combs work, too. I just wish they didn't have to glam them up . They just need to have clear elastic and plain combs.

I am sure I have purchased other junk that really never worked which is why I don't remember it

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

and whatever that Australian no heat hair removal stuff was...it was green...and DIDN'T work. I got the worst bruises from that, and still had hair!
It's called NADS.

I bought some from The Shopping Channel once. I had already been using Alexandria Body Sugaring so decided to give this other one a try.

It worked ok, but it was too thick and goopy. I found it way too messy to apply. The Alexandria Body Sugaring went on warm and was thin so applying it was easier.

However, both of them did remove the hair.

So far as the bruises you got from using it and no hair removal, that's because you didn't apply it properly or remove the strip properly. Any hair removal tool that removes hair by the root will cause bruising if done incorrectly. I've been using body sugar for years and never get bumps and/or bruises, nor does anyone I've used the sugaring on.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

Ped Eggs ROCK!
I'm buying a lifetime supply .
I bought a ped egg and I hate it. I know a few people who have bought them too and they all hate it. I find it makes my heels kind of rough feeling.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought NADS, too, only I got it at a store. The commercials made it seem so progressive, like everybody in Europe uses it. After using it myself, I seriously doubt that.

I recently bought the Titan peeler in the "As Seen on TV" section at CVS. Maybe it's just me being left-handed, but I couldn't get it to work right. Back to the store it went.

I've been wanting to try those hair thingys. Not the Bumpits, but the ones someone mentioned a few posts up.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It's called NADS.

I bought some from The Shopping Channel once. I had already been using Alexandria Body Sugaring so decided to give this other one a try.

It worked ok, but it was too thick and goopy. I found it way too messy to apply. The Alexandria Body Sugaring went on warm and was thin so applying it was easier.

However, both of them did remove the hair.

So far as the bruises you got from using it and no hair removal, that's because you didn't apply it properly or remove the strip properly. Any hair removal tool that removes hair by the root will cause bruising if done incorrectly. I've been using body sugar for years and never get bumps and/or bruises, nor does anyone I've used the sugaring on.
Probably did mess something up, but I do bruise INSANELY easy. I got my legs professionally waxed and even had some bruising then. Minor compared to my job though,

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never bought anything I've seen on TV. I have been wanting to buy these hair clips though that supposedly hold your hair in a perfect bun...forgot their name...