The Anger Stage Of Grief

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need to vent. I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place for that... I’m just SO angry and upset right now. I don’t if my anger is warranted or if I’m just grieving and not thinking straight. And I don’t know how to process these feelings. This is going to be very long... no one needs to feel obliged to read all of it. I just have to express this or I’m going to go crazy.

Lost my girl Chai in early Dec, as some of you know. It was a pretty traumatic death and I am still having a very hard time getting through it. But my tumultuous relationship with the shelter she came from has only made this whole situation worse. I think I am directing all my pent-up feelings of anger against this shelter, whether they deserve it or not, and what they did tonight was just like twisting the knife in the wound of her loss.

Before I get to that...

Background:
-very disorganized, overcrowded, chaotic cat shelter with many stressed and sick kitties—terrible communication and the shelter owner is very possessive of the cats, and hesitant to let them get adopted even when they are clearly suffering in the shelter environment
-Jan 2018: I visited and applied to adopt Chai (then known as Iris)
-Jan 2018: they originally gave me the go-ahead, then backtracked saying she was “too wild,” and was “unadoptable,” but saying I could foster her first if I wanted, and I agreed
-Feb 2018: a week before picking Chai up, they suddenly said she was very sick and had been at the hospital for 5 days—but had no info on what her sickness was—kept sending me other cats to look at suggesting I adopt them instead (but I didn’t want them, I wanted her)
-Mar 2018 until Aug 2018: Never learned what she had been sick with. I asked about her frequently, looked at her photo every single day, but no one could ever give me much information about her—whether she was sick or not, whether she’d be adoptable or not... I had no idea but I refused to give up on her. I offered vet care and begged them to let me adopt her, but I was told ridiculous excuses like “you can’t trust all vets and we only trust this particular vet that’s not where you live and we want to keep her here in case she gets sick again.”
-Sept 2018: FINALLY they let me visit her again and agreed to let me adopt her. When I visited she was clearly sick and having breathing issues and mouth pain so I let the staff know she needed medical attention asap before I brought her home
-Sept 2018: a week later, when I came to pick her up and bring her home, the sickness hadn’t been checked out at all. I was and still am furious at them for not checking up on her during that time and however long she’d been suffering before my visit. Especially now that I know it was stomatitis and that she was in incredible pain for who knows how long. I even TOLD them she was clearly unwell and apparently no one listened or cared. They acted like it wasn’t a big deal.

After I brought her home, the whole time I owned her the shelter staff and head volunteer kept calling her Iris even though I told them specifically I’d changed her name to Chai. It bothered me, not because of the name itself of course, but because they acted like she was still theirs even after my adoption was completed. I was in contact with them a few times over the next few months, just to share photos and videos of her progress and how proud I was of her, but the constant calling her “Iris” really got on my nerves so I stopped. Unlike every other cat that gets adopted by them, they never made a Facebook post for her that she’d been adopted. Her profile on their webpage said “adoption trial” LONG after I’d finalized the adoption. But I was just so glad that she was out of their incompetent hands that I didn’t really care about that. Whatever. She was special to me and I was used to them constantly dismissing or forgetting her anyway.

When she was getting sick and had a seizure, I contacted them again BEGGING them to look for medical records for her to see if what she was sick with in Feb had any relevance to this. I got a “I’ll look into it,” and then a few days later a “How is Iris doing?” without any mention of the medical records, as expected. I told them Chai had FIP which had been confirmed by the vet and that I would have to put her down.

Somehow the shelter owner got involved and called me saying she didn’t think it was FIP (she had zero information about her symptoms, procedures, or anything that had been going on) and that I needed to take “Iris” to several of her vets instead. I refused. My vets had tested the fluid from her abdomen which gives a 90% diagnosis and I refused to drag my baby girl all over the city in the freezing weather and subject her for more and more stressful terrifying tests, in her last days, when she was already so weak and dying. The owner began sobbing on the phone and *I* had to comfort *her* which is pretty rich seeing as that cat never received proper medical care in her shelter in the first place.

After Chai passed I did receive a kind sympathy message from the head volunteer, and I could almost overlook that he still called her Iris. But a few days later they posted a memorial for her on their facebook page (without even telling or asking me) and they still called her Iris. Saying “we will miss you.” Who?? Who exactly will miss her?? Shelter staff who were willing to let her wither away in pain and fear rather than go home with me in the first place and get a chance at health and happiness?? Volunteers who didn’t even know her name or that she existed, who called her Hitler kitty, who thought she was mean and hopeless because she hissed when they tried to touch her?? The owner who thought she was all high and mighty for “saving” her from the streets but failed to care about her at all as more than just another notch on the rescue cat belt, just another addition to the stressful overcrowded rooms of cats?? I realize I was being unfair, and reacting overemotionally. But I left a comment anyway on the post saying that her name was actually Chai, and writing briefly how loved she was in her forever home and what a wonderful girl she was.

So, whatever. That was frustrating. But I was forgetting about it. But then tonight they posted a document page of slides of cats who have passed away. I don’t know why they need another page when they already have a photo album for memorials. (Or why they are focusing on a memorial page when their adoption page is so horrendously outdated and needs work.)

But anyway... I clicked on it and found Chai’s post and was extremely upset to read “Iris (Chai) - adoption trial - seems to be forever home, fall 2018; passed away from what was thought to be FIP” alongside just a picture of her original adoption profile, with old scared sad pictures, describing how shy and wild she was. What??? What kind of f***ing memorial is that??? Refusing to acknowledge her by her name and putting it in brackets. Keeping “adoption trial” there, clearly just messily left over from her regular profile that they failed to ever update. Photos of her at her worst when I have sent them many photos of her at her best. Description of her terrified shelter self when they know full well I socialized her and she became the cuddliest, happiest lovebug there ever was. “Thought to be FIP”—it wasn’t a thought. It wasn’t a guess. It wasn’t something unknown. That’s what it was. I wouldn’t have euthanized her on a whim. I wouldn’t have euthanized her without making sure. I spent thousands of dollars on her. It was an EXTREMELY traumatic decision that I did NOT make lightly, and I made with the advice of three different vets as well as online resources and more. It WAS FIP. But furthermore, why does her cause of death have to be in there? Why that, and not “she was a sweetheart who loved to purr”? Why not “she loved her mom and sister and passed peacefully”?

But the worst was “seems to be forever home.” Seems to be? Just... why? Why would they write that? It just... broke my heart. It wasn’t seems to be. It wasn’t a trial. It WAS her forever home. I was her home. She was mine. They KNEW that. Everyone who clicks on that page and sees her photo is going to think this poor cat died in the hands of an incompetent, careless, noncommittal foster who euthanized her because of ‘thought to be FIP’ and who never promised to be her forever home, and that this shelter is the only one who cared about her. They’re going to think she died shy and skittish and never knew love and a forever home.

My memory of Chai is all I have left, and sharing it with others is the only thing that is bringing me healing right now. She lived a beautiful life and she was brave and good and strong, and she deserves to be remembered that way. She died with dignity and love and she was loved and cared for to the end of her days. To portray anything less than that, to see them soil her memory like this, feels like I’m being wounded all over again. How dare they? She wasn’t their cat to love. She’s not their cat to post photos and memorials of, even, not
without asking me, not to mention ones that are so horribly inaccurate and misrepresentative of her truth and her legacy. She was MY cat, whether they like it or not. She wasn’t their Iris. She was my Chai.

It all triggered a huge wave of anguish; I wept nonstop for about three hours and debated whether or not to send them a message demanding they change the info. Or even to just take it down. But I don’t know if it would even make me feel better, and the emotional energy required to explain to them why it is hurtful (when they are clearly so ignorant) is just too much for me.

I am furious and I am also heartbroken. I am trying really hard not to go down this path of thinking, since I know it is unproductive, but I really do wonder if she would still be alive if they had just let me adopt her in the first place. When I think about the agony of her untreated stomatitis and her terror and extreme stress at that shelter, I feel absolutely sick to my stomach, that they dare act like they took good care of her and that they will miss her. I know individual volunteers might, though to be honest I only met one volunteer there who ever treated her with patience and kindness. But the shelter as an organization is just a cruel evil entity as far as I’m concerned right now. Only one thing makes me feel better: Chai sure wouldn’t miss or thank or love them. Chai would say good riddance—now where’s my beloved mom and sister?

Jury’s still out on whether I will send them a message to edit or delete the post. I don’t know how I can write it without sounding angry.

I’m just so broken up over this. Chai’s death and then this is just like a slap in the face to all she lived for and triumphed over and the bond we shared. Maybe it shouldn’t matter, maybe I’m being silly, but I just want her legacy to stay pure and alive since she couldn’t and now they’ve gone and spoiled it. All of this is a terrible nightmare and I want to wake up and have my kitty again.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a right to be angry. Shelters are often hotbeds of neglect and subpar care because of under financing and the overwhelming situation they are put in. Even the best of them are not perfect in every way.
When you have a cat and let it go to another home, it is always known by the name you knew it as. It is extremely hard to change anything except what you have the memories of. If I were you, I would post my own tribute to that beautiful little girl on several sites and concentrate on them, not the outdated and wrong information they are supplying. You lost a lot of months because of them, months that could have been much better spent under your care. That I don't understand and cannot forgive. I would contact the head of that shelter and try to change that protocol they have concerning this. It just doesn't make sense. Also let them know how hurt you were by all this. Nothing will change if you don't. But you are very much deep in the grip of grief, you might give yourself a chance to grieve properly for that sweet girl before you do anything, it will change nothing in your situation, but it may save a life down the road.
My heart goes out to you I'll pray for you to find peace, please keep us posted on what you do.....

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Luckily I have noticed that lately, they are pushing adoptions of their shy cats, something they basically never did back when I was trying to get Chai. Back then they just heavily advertised the super friendly ones and the shy ones were lucky if they even got a description on their profile other than “shy.” They were lucky if they even had a profile, actually. I would say a good 1/3 of the cats there range from very shy to semiferal, and a couple of them are true ferals who will need an experienced and patient person to adopt them or maybe a barn cat home. I am sure there will be others like me who are drawn to the shy cats and hopefully more of those cats will get a forever home now rather than being kept possessively at the shelter for no reason. It kills me to watch them deteriorate there. But maybe they are actually going to start letting their cats get adopted now.

While I was looking through the memorial page, I was also really saddened to see that a special, one-eyed, very skittish girl I loved there (I wish I could’ve taken her home along with Chai) had apparently died in November. She never got a memorial or post when she died. I was able to find one that was added to an album recently but it was lost in the facebook posts and I don’t think many people saw it. I didn’t, and I follow the page. And her memorial post alongside Chai’s didn’t have a single word of rememberance. Just copied the original profile about how shy and sick she was. It was so sad to me. Another semiferal kitty was on there who was Chai’s best friend at the shelter and they liked to cuddle together. This boy apparently was just “missing from shelter.” I just hate it... I wish I could’ve protected them.

Those babies should’ve gotten a home or AT LEAST as much attention in their memorial as the “friendly” cats. I just wish they had been accurate with Chai’s memorial post, so that those considering a shy cat might be inspired by how much she changed and what a perfect cat she was once she was out of there and someone gave her a little love and care. I know not everyone has the time and motivation for that. But, I mean, I wasn’t particularly special or experienced or skilled at all. I just loved that cat. Even if Chai had never opened up to human contact, she still would’ve thrived in my home as opposed to the shelter. Surely if others saw a success story they might be more willing to open their hearts to these cats. But I digress...

I feel like the better shelters acknowledge that their shelter is not an ideal place for the cats. With a few exceptions I think homes are nearly always preferable to a shelter. No matter how much they love the cats their focus is on getting the cats out of that stressful environment and into a home... Whereas this shelter operates more like one woman’s collection of cats, that kind volunteers frantically try to care for, while occasionally she “allows” them to be rehomed.

A few weeks ago I thought maybe I’d volunteer at this shelter, so at least I could be a voice for the shy cats and help improve their profiles to get them adopted. Or at least sit with them and feed them treats and talk to them gently since no one else ever bothers to interact with them. But now I don’t want to ever go there again. It’s just too upsetting.

Rest in peace you three. I’ll remember Noon (one eyed girl) and Sweet Pea (Chai’s cuddle buddy) too.
38DC8D6E-DAE1-4CDA-A329-B17CC07E332B.jpeg
6F6E5EFD-3A2F-4B98-8915-46206A5142E3.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story is really upsetting. I have read the whole post and the entire thread, and it really touched my nerves!
If I were in your shoes, in your position, I would write a comment to the memorial post right away.
And I would clearly state that "YOU" were Chai's last family and that she was much loved, in a way Chai had never known before.
I would clearly state that Chai was visited, tested and cured by the best vets around, that you spent thousands, that nothing was left behind, that everything was tried and that she was loved till her last second.
I would add photos of Chai in her best moments, when she was happy, to compensate for those sad photos that don't give her justice or honor. and I would stress the fact that her name was Chai!

I don't know if there's an Animal Welfare Authority in your country, but if there is, I would let them know of how those cats are being treated in that shelter, what you have gone through to have Chai, and how you have been treated in the whole period you had to deal with them.

I'm angry because I had to face with one of these rescue groups over here, in Italy.
They act as they are saving the whole world and tell others of the miracles they do, lots of posts on their Facebook page on how good they are. Then they ask people to donate because they have lots of debts with the many vets they take their cats to. They ask people to help them, they ask for foster families because they have many kittens and don't know where to keep them.

I had found three very young kittens down a shallow pit in August and took them to the vet close to home. I asked the vet to make the kittens known among their customers so that they could find a home. The vet spread the voice and this voice (and photo of the kittens) ended up in the hands of this rescue group, who posted the (distorted) story of the kittens along with the photo and wrote that to adopt those kittens one had to call them and follow "their" adoption rules!
I immediately wrote an email to them, and asked them to remove the photo and the post because it had been posted without my authorization, let alone that the rules weren't theirs to be done!

They got really upset, replied my email in a very angry way, didn't remove the post and the photo. Anyway, the kittens were adopted through me and my rules.

A couple of months later I saw a tiny black kitten at the vet's and immadiatelly fell in love with her, I wanted to adopt her. Unfortunately she was under the management of that rescue group. The vet told me that if I wanted to adopt her I needed to talk with them.
So I talk with them, hoping they didn't remember me (after all I never spoke to them in person, only with emails), but somehow they recognized me.
They interviewed me to see if I was the right person for that kitten. The interview failed, I was judged "not suitable for any cat", and my request for rejected.
That poor kitten had been in a cage for nearly a month, was literally wasting away. She was sick, needed constant therapies daily, she was missing a foot and had a physical problem. I asked them how many people would have asked for her, there's plenty of healthy and better-looking kittens out there. I would have been her only hope to live in a family. They didn't change her mind.

I kept visiting her every day, and kept writing angry messages to them. I also told everybody I know how sick and evil they were to keep a tiny kitten in a cage for weeks!
Eventually I adopted a different kitten.

A couple of weeks later the rescue group called me back, they said they had reviewed my request and they agreed with the adoption. I told them I had already got another kitten, they got upset and told me that I couldn't act that way, that I shouldn't have written all those emails and talked about them around and now given up on the kitten. So I was nearly forced to have that tiny kitten too.
The two kittens never got along in the same house, I was forced to keep them in two separate rooms for most of the day, and when they would meet, the first kitten would try to kill the tiny one.
After 2 weeks like this I had to surrender the tiny kitten back to the group and told them that this wouldn't have happened if they had given me the kitten in the first place, because I wouldn't have adopted the cat I had taken first.

These shelters and rescue groups are moved not by the pure love for those cats, but by something that is most likely money and greed...

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Your emotions are understandable. If I were in your shoes I would also be fuming mad. How insensitive these people are! The nerve!

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so pissed right now, how dare they!! Your feelings are completely understandable!! As for how to respond, I think this is one of those situations where you need to take care of you and do what is going to make you feel best right now. We all know the truth here, and so do you. Screw them. If it's healthier for you to not say anything and write it off, do it. And if going for the jugular and taking the shelter down is what's going to make you happy, do it (yes, not having a shelter would cause a whole different set of problems, but I think you get the gist of what I am saying :)).
You saved that baby and did everything in the world for her, everything in your power. She lived out her days surrounded by love and happiness, provided by you. CHAI will always be remembered by you and by us here. Everyone else can rot. :fireblob:

Hopefully our shared anger can be a comfort for you here. :redheartpump:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
There are many ways to go about this. If you are worried that they are still like that (you mentioned they now adopt shy kitties so maybe they changed?) depending on which country you live in... you can report them to the better business bureau. Before that I would contact the top of the top (executive of the shelter, not just the lead adoption person) at the shelter and discuss your issues with them.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
The ONE thing I can say in their defense, is that posts about kitties who pass away get more hits than any other .. (I help with my cat shelter's social media stuff) Might be why they did that whole separate thing. More eyes on their posts.

But seriously... screw them. And I don't mean "screw", I actually mean the more colorful version that I'm not allowed to say here. Fffffffffff !!!!

If you think it'll help, write them one last letter detailing everything they did wrong by you and most importantly, Chai. Honestly it probably won't change them, but it might feel good to get your words out to them and bring closure to the story of your relationship with a really crappy cat shelter.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if there's an Animal Welfare Authority in your country, but if there is, I would let them know of how those cats are being treated in that shelter, what you have gone through to have Chai, and how you have been treated in the whole period you had to deal with them.
Unfortunately this shelter is considered one of the best in the city, and such a huge step up from the regular city animal services (which is saying something, but is technically true) that I highly doubt anyone will take a complaint like that seriously. :( This shelter is very popular with people who want to rescue cats here, especially foreigners. But personally I could never recommend them to anyone. Even my vet, who works with that shelter’s cats often, told me that he could never recommend them and that they have a big problem with sick cats as well as bad management.

I'm angry because I had to face with one of these rescue groups over here, in Italy.
I’m so sorry to read these stories of your experience with this rescue group... :(

She was sick, needed constant therapies daily, she was missing a foot and had a physical problem. I asked them how many people would have asked for her, there's plenty of healthy and better-looking kittens out there. I would have been her only hope to live in a family. They didn't change her mind.
This is so sad and just how they acted when I wanted to adopt Chai. It makes no sense to me. I’m so sorry that the two kittens didn’t get along in the end. You are wonderful for trying so hard for her though.

Before that I would contact the top of the top (executive of the shelter, not just the lead adoption person) at the shelter and discuss your issues with them.
Unfortunately that person is the owner, who I suspect is one of the main reasons this whole thing is so badly run. The person in charge of adoptions was a bit frustrating sometimes but otherwise he was nice enough... and in the end he did vouch for me and got them to let me adopt Chai. I got the sense he had zero power in the situation and zero access to any real information about the cats, which made his job incredibly difficult. He would have to “check” with the owner anytime I requested any information and most of the time neither of us got any answers back.

The ONE thing I can say in their defense, is that posts about kitties who pass away get more hits than any other .. (I help with my cat shelter's social media stuff) Might be why they did that whole separate thing. More eyes on their posts.
That’s so sad... especially since it seems like they’ve lost more cats than adopted out cats in the past few months. :(

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a normal thing for shelters to do? I mean, when rosegold rosegold said it I thought maybe it was a Korea thing, but yours does it too?

I have never, ever seen a post about a deceased cat on Lelia's TNR page (the only one I follow). I see updates from adoption events, fundraising requests, spotlights (videos/photos) of adoptable cats and kittens, and "Happily Ever After Adoption Stories".

I mean, I guess a memorial is nice to those who lost their cats if they want one, but that it's standard seems almost baffling to me.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm just trying to figure why people would rather see depressing stories than happy ones.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Is this a normal thing for shelters to do? I mean, when rosegold rosegold said it I thought maybe it was a Korea thing, but yours does it too?

I have never, ever seen a post about a deceased cat on Lelia's TNR page (the only one I follow). I see updates from adoption events, fundraising requests, spotlights (videos/photos) of adoptable cats and kittens, and "Happily Ever After Adoption Stories".

I mean, I guess a memorial is nice to those who lost their cats if they want one, but that it's standard seems almost baffling to me.

Sorry to get off topic. I'm just trying to figure why people would rather see depressing stories than happy ones.
On our shelter's Facebook page, cat deaths do indeed get more comments, hearts, shares, eyes, basically *all of the interactions* on them, more than anything else, yes.
I don't know why. It is weird.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On our shelter's Facebook page, cat deaths do indeed get more comments, hearts, shares, eyes, basically *all of the interactions* on them, more than anything else, yes.
I don't know why. It is weird.
It is weird. And the bizarre thing to me is like... I guess I understand if a cat dies in the shelter and they want to post about it, but do they expect every adopted cat owner to tell them if their cat dies? What if I hadn’t asked for those medical records and they didn’t know at all that Chai had died? It seems like at the very least they could say “if it’s okay with you / if you want, we’ll post a memorial for her on our Facebook page” and the owner would have the option to accept or decline.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if a cat is adopted it should definitely be up to the owner! Then the owner could add what they wanted to say as well. That would be the respectful thing to do.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I sent a VERY long message to one of the shelter staff. I think she is newer and I haven’t actually met her before, but she was the one who kindly changed the name to Chai at my request on the first memorial post. And she remains the only person at that shelter to ever call her Chai and not Iris. So I figured I’d talk to her. I gave her a little history of Chai and I, explained my frustrations and why I was upset, requested that information be changed on the post (or if not that the post be taken down), and sent her some happy photos of Chai. I hope I didn’t come across as a legitimate crazy cat lady, but I clarified that I wasn’t frustrated with her or any one person in particular and I was just trying to honor the memory of my cat.

She replied almost immediately, saying she completely understands, apologizing several times even though she didn’t know my situation so she has no reason to apologize. She said she will change the post ASAP with my photos, and check with me before positing to make sure that it is honoring Chai. She also asked if she could share my criticisms with the rest of the group to help them
improve and I said that was fine. And, she asked if I would like to write a success story for Chai that they could post on their page with pictures, to help encourage other potential adopters to consider the shy cats. Turns out that this lady is the one who has been pushing the shy cats’ profiles, even against backlash of other volunteers, because she has a heart for them
and thinks they need to be adopted even more urgently. So I’m going to write a success story about Chai for them to post. Honestly—although maybe I’m just biased cause I loved that cat, and also she was so darn stinkin’ cute—Chai’s story SHOULD be shared. It’s sad in the end, but it’s heartwarming and if it helps another cat like her get a home then that is completely worth it.

I feel a lot better... I feel listened to and like my feelings and frustrations have been validated.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this shelter is considered one of the best in the city, and such a huge step up from the regular city animal services (which is saying something, but is technically true) that I highly doubt anyone will take a complaint like that seriously. :( This shelter is very popular with people who want to rescue cats here, especially foreigners.
Same here.
That rescue group is highly regarded, some persons even think they are semi-Gods, I think nobody would ever have the courage to criticize them publicly.
Their name is very well known in the northwest of the country and possibly rather well known in good part of Italy.
Despite this, the service they provide is sometimes poor.

I had sent an email to the head of the group and told them how bad they are at managing the best interest of the kittens they have.
Their reply was that humans can fail, nobody is perfect, that I had to come to terms with it.

I'm glad you have found someone you can easily talk to.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I sent a VERY long message to one of the shelter staff. I think she is newer and I haven’t actually met her before, but she was the one who kindly changed the name to Chai at my request on the first memorial post. And she remains the only person at that shelter to ever call her Chai and not Iris. So I figured I’d talk to her. I gave her a little history of Chai and I, explained my frustrations and why I was upset, requested that information be changed on the post (or if not that the post be taken down), and sent her some happy photos of Chai. I hope I didn’t come across as a legitimate crazy cat lady, but I clarified that I wasn’t frustrated with her or any one person in particular and I was just trying to honor the memory of my cat.

She replied almost immediately, saying she completely understands, apologizing several times even though she didn’t know my situation so she has no reason to apologize. She said she will change the post ASAP with my photos, and check with me before positing to make sure that it is honoring Chai. She also asked if she could share my criticisms with the rest of the group to help them
improve and I said that was fine. And, she asked if I would like to write a success story for Chai that they could post on their page with pictures, to help encourage other potential adopters to consider the shy cats. Turns out that this lady is the one who has been pushing the shy cats’ profiles, even against backlash of other volunteers, because she has a heart for them
and thinks they need to be adopted even more urgently. So I’m going to write a success story about Chai for them to post. Honestly—although maybe I’m just biased cause I loved that cat, and also she was so darn stinkin’ cute—Chai’s story SHOULD be shared. It’s sad in the end, but it’s heartwarming and if it helps another cat like her get a home then that is completely worth it.

I feel a lot better... I feel listened to and like my feelings and frustrations have been validated.
I'm so glad you were listened to and that they're going to change the post. And that you get to share a success story. You and Chai deserve that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry that you went through ALL of that. But I can't help but rejoice that Chai's life ended in arms that loved her. What more can any of us ask than that?

The shelter sounds...horrid, although you did find the right person at the end, one who hasn't been ground to dust by the madness yet. Perhaps she will be able to hold onto her ideals, and bring some change about. I pray so.

My heart with yours.