The administration of Fish Mox

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat chauffeur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In a PetCo recently I asked for FishMox and was told that they no longer carry it because people were buying it for themselves. I felt self-righteously indignant since I wanted it only for my cats. And as my own vet confirmed, amoxicillin is amoxicillin.

txprowriter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kudos for the person who emphatically  stressed the overuse of antibiotics, in both humans and animals!

I was a USAF medic for almost 5 years and a med-tech in the civilian sector for another five and I have some knowledge on the subject, so listen up...

Antibiotics are a wonderful thing, having saved millions of lives and ranking up there as one of the greatest discoveries of all time. I doubt that Alexander Fleming, the "Father of Penicillin", could have ever anticipated the mark that he would have on the world when he returned from holiday to find a fuzzy, "mystery mold", with a clear ring showing inhibition of bacterial growth, lurking in an old petri dish (I can just see this, sitting way back in the 'fridge...). Although, the Egyptians knew that something  was happening as far back as the pharaohs,  as they applied poultices of moldy bread to infected wounds as a curative! (Source: acs.org).

World War II introduced the commercial production of penicillin and the beginnings of a problem - the overuse of antibiotics. Once word spread of the miracle of penicillin, demand grew exponentially. As antibiotic use grew, a "tipping point" had to come and we are currently witnessing an antibiotic "crisis". As bacteria were increasingly exposed to antibiotics over the years since their discovery, they began to "morph" and soon, antibiotic resistant bacteria were entering the picture.

In 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) presented its first global report on the subject of antibiotic resistant bacteria and the prognosis is grim. This report "reveals that this serious threat is no longer a prediction for the future, it is happening right now in every region of the world and has the potential to affect anyone, of any age, in any country."  According to Dr Keiji Fukuda, WHO’s Assistant Director-General for Health Security, “Without urgent, coordinated action by many stakeholders, the world is headed for a post-antibiotic era, in which common infections and minor injuries which have been treatable for decades can once again kill.”  

Ironically, that which was used to significantly change the quality of man's life for the better was now returning us to a time when we had nothing for warding off infections.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I completely  lose y'all with all of the details of antibiotic resistance (which I hope, after this, you might go online and research for yourself...) I will now BEG you, do not overuse antibiotics, even in your animals!! Even though you are treating your animals, you can still affect the way antibiotics work in humans! Humans are susceptible to many of the same bacterial infections as animals (i.e. chlamydia) and you are becoming part of the problem if you abuse/overuse antibiotics.

Additionally, and very, very importantly, antibiotics DO NOT work against viral infections!!!  PERIOD. 

When I worked in the emergency room, you wouldn't believe the number of hysterical mothers that would come in demanding antibiotics for their children and the huge numbers of physicians who would give in and prescribe them just to get them off their back! Fault on both sides. (Lesson here - if you are a frightened mom, read up on viruses and antibiotics...don't go there with your doctor, please?).

Don't get me wrong! I treat my animals with fish antibiotics as well. However, I will qualify that statement with the fact that I take the animal to the vet for an initial diagnosis, so that I know what I am seeing, and it is then, and only then, that I treat them, in the future, when I see the same symptoms! I never assume that I know what I am seeing as I am not  a vet, nor am I a human M.D. I have my limited medical knowledge plus my writing and research skills.

Take care!! You are swimming in murky waters when you treat willy-nilly with antibiotics.

PLUS, if we are not very, very careful, we will lose this little known "loophole" that we use to save money (hey, I do it as well!) and we don't want to go down that road either!!

Be Safe Out There!

TxProWriter

catcan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok on both Revolution and Fix Mox.  Yes, Fix Mox is safe for cats - and dosage is important.  I have worked with humane societies for over 17 years now, and we have seen the immunity to amoxicillin used for respiratory infections grow  - especially in the last 5 years or so.  There is also Fish C - Clindamycin, this is used by dentist for mouth/jaw infections in humans.  It can be tried as an alternative, since some infections stem from throat/jaw/teeth/gums.  As for Revolution - I take the dose used for the highest weight dog and divided it for my cats.  The cost savings is substantial as it is both flea and wormer combined.  It takes a prescription now days to get it in the US.  The reason is it has heart worm medication in it can overdose a dog if the dog is already taking some sort of heart worm med.  The same caution should be used for Cats....know what is in the medication and understand what it does.  Most Vets I have worked with are willing to work with you as long as you are up front with them about self medications.  Most will even help you with proper dosage.  As for this loophole closing....its coming.

cat chauffeur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Revolution has stopped working in my area (North Carolina). We -- rescues and rescuers -- have begun using Advantage II. I treated 50 cats on 9/18. Today is 10/7 and the fleas are back. Sigh.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

In a PetCo recently I asked for FishMox and was told that they no longer carry it because people were buying it for themselves. I felt self-righteously indignant since I wanted it only for my cats. And as my own vet confirmed, amoxicillin is amoxicillin.
You can get Fish Mox at most feed supply stores.  My local one keeps it behind the counter and you have to ask for it, again because people steal it and use it for themselves.  You can also get it online from several different companies.  Just Google it.

As for flea treatments, this is the worst time of year, just before the frost kills them off.  I use Advantage II also and what I like about it is that you can use it as often as once a week during heavy infestations.  Since the life cycle of the flea is about 3 weeks, I use it about every 3 weeks.  Yes, I buy the Extra Large Dog Size, on eBay (cheaper than the stores), and divide the doses between all the cats using a 1 ml. syringe to measure appropriate dose for weight. Doing it this way, the cost per dose is from $1.00 to $1.50 per cat on average.

Last edited:

tennesseelady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

OMG!!!!!! This heavenssafehaven.webs.com site of ct tips that you recommended sounds like it woulda saved the lives of a few of my rescued cats..in the psat...and will save more NOW!!! I'll tell the other rescue lady I know!!!!
Thanks you so much for that link. This will be a HUGE help for my rescues as well!

navida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I make up Coloidal Silver...way easy to do.  It fights viruses and bacterial infections.  After you get them over it you can continue low doses in drinking water to ward off more illnesses.  

rambocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
500mg fishmox tablet,crush up,measure 10ml water(use medicine cup/syringe)put in lil bottle,shake well before each use,keep in fridge.same as clavamox suspension.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
500mg fishmox tablet,crush up,measure 10ml water(use medicine cup/syringe)put in lil bottle,shake well before each use,keep in fridge.same as clavamox suspension.
General note to all: Always check with the vet before you give your cat any OTC medicine, whether it's one for cats or for a different species or Human. Many doses and OTC suggestions are all over the Internet but they may not be safe to give to a cat in a particular health situation. It's best to be safe and check with the vet. Your cat's safety and health is more important than saving a few dollars

azukiki15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using Fish Mox Forte whenever my cats come down with a cold or bronchial problem and it's been working well.  I open the capsules and dilute with fresh bottled water.

remmiebrandt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confuse  about how to dose this.  I just cleaned out the litter box and she ran in front  of me while I was still in front of it and did  a few drops of pea - it was like she wanted me to see and I noticed a little pus coming out of her anus which seemed blood red. I went to ebay thanks to the lady who gave the website for the seller but now when I get it - I'm not sure how to give it to her. I gather it is not a tablet but powder in a capsule so my question is can't I just sprinkle the powder on her food and how much do I give exactly? Or do I have to dilute the powder in water? The whole 250 mg seems a lot - she's a 15 pound cat. Thank you all. I know the vet is the best bet but I just can't go - I"m struggling as it is to feed my other cat his kidney food. A vet is $80 for the visit plus they will want to do testing first - bloods are $130 and Urine is $40 plus I have to GET the urine - I won't let them aspirate her PLUS the of the meds Can't do it

rambocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
500mg Amoxi to 10ml of water,so if you have 250mg Amoxi,mix with 5ml,and it's 1ml per 5kg cat.

azukiki15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used Fish Mox Forte for a few years and figured out the combination.  I remove the powder from the capsules and use three 500 mg to 21cc (or mm) bottled or distilled water and  shake well.  I use 2MM (cc) for my adult cats twice a day.  It should be kept refrigerated between uses so it does not lose its potency.  These are the same proportions as those you get from your vet.

azukiki15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using Fish Mox Forte for a couple of years.  I open three capsules (500 mg and combine it with 21 ml of bottled or distilled water and administer 2 to 2/2 ml twice a day depending on the size of the cat.

Since you stated that your cat is bleeding from the anus, I would assume the situation could very well be greater than what the amoxicillin can handle.  Find another vet who does not feel it necessary to run a series of tests before seeing your cat.  Good luck.

rambocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what CC are,but my measurements are correct 1 500mg fish mox,to 10ml water,and it's 1ml per 10 pounds

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This makes me cringe. Antibiotics should NEVER be used without professional medical guidance. If given freely without consultation they are likely to be used unnecessarily and inappropriately which contributes to antibiotic resistance. Essentially this ploy to save money which I well understand is contributing to the development of bacterial species for which we have rendered all treatments meaningless. PLEASE don't do this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

General note to all: Always check with the vet before you give your cat any OTC medicine, whether it's one for cats or for a different species or Human. Many doses and OTC suggestions are all over the Internet but they may not be safe to give to a cat in a particular health situation. It's best to be safe and check with the vet. Your cat's safety and health is more important than saving a few dollars
If your cat is sick, please take your cat to the vet for proper treatment. Relying on free Internet advice that may be completely incorrect or even harmful puts your cat's health at risk and you may wind up with a more expensive vet bill or even a dead cat. If you can't afford vet bills, take a look at these suggestions: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/no-money-for-vet-care-how-to-find-help-and-save-your-cats-life

Vet bills can be expensive so look into pet insurance or setting aside money in a bank account to use for vet bills and emergencies.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of us in rescue who use animal meds from local feed supply stores were originally directed as to dosage by our vets, and we will take any cats to the vet in a heartbeat if needed.  Seeing all the different ways to mix up Fish Mox listed here is just a reminder that if you are not working with an experienced person, you should find someone to advise you, someone who can come see the cats or kittens and at least tell you if they think they need to go to a vet or not.  Personally, I would be uncomfortable keeping amoxicillin in a solution with just water for any length of time.  I always mix each dose freshly right before giving it, but that's what I was taught.

Interestingly enough, now that most drug stores do not charge for antibiotics, if your vet wants to save you money, he can write a prescription and you can take it to the pharmacy and get it filled for a very small amount of money, cheaper than it would be to buy a bottle of fish mox.

Status
Not open for further replies.