The absolute craziest behavior ever.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of new people here so a short review is in order. I have an alpha male cat (Persi) and a timid female cat (Alley). We live in a three story town home with lots of stairs. The cats' food in located on the bottom floor so they get exercise whenever they wish to eat the dry food that is available 24/7.

But that is not good enough for Persi. He insists that the food bowl be kept full at all times and will throw a fit if he sees that the food level is going down. We finally decided to keep two giant bowls of food out at all times. But Persi still does not want to see the food level in either bowl going down and has now become absolutely paranoid about the food supply. He hangs out by the top of the stairs on the second floor so that he can see anytime that Alley heads downstairs for some food. When he sees her heading downstairs he runs down like his tail was on fire and goes into the food room to monitor how much food she is eating. They never fight but Persi stands guard and glares at Alley while she is eating. When Alley is finished, he carefully inspects the food supply in both bowls to make sure the level meets his minimum required food supply.

Whoever thinks that cats don't think logically don't know Persi even though he is so paranoid that he needs a shrink much more than I do!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty funny. Cats do think, their own brand of logic. After all their brains are most organized like humans, of all animals.

My Mazy cat does something similar with the litter boxes. she is The Litter Box Police. Whenever Tolly or Jennie are in the litter boxes she must hurry down to supervise, and then when they are done she inspects the boxes. Hilarious.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's funny how much each cat has his/her own very distinct personality. Persi sounds like a hoot!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
He certainly has you trained, doesn't he?
Shareena does something similar. I do measured free feeding with two dishes in the bedroom and four in the dining room. As soon as the level gets low in the bedroom dishes Shareena goes into a tizzy. It doesn't matter if the other four bowls are completely full--of the same food. She follows me around the house nipping at my ankles until I fill her dishes.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

That's pretty funny. Cats do think, their own brand of logic. After all their brains are most organized like humans, of all animals.

My Mazy cat does something similar with the litter boxes. she is The Litter Box Police. Whenever Tolly or Jennie are in the litter boxes she must hurry down to supervise, and then when they are done she inspects the boxes. Hilarious.
Squeak does that with Dusty! Dusty doesn't cover her business, but Squeak will hop in and do it for her! Crazy cat.

One thing about cat logic I really don't understand is why a cat would prefer to drink from a mud puddle outside than a clean bowl of fresh water inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

One thing about cat logic I really don't understand is why a cat would prefer to drink from a mud puddle outside than a clean bowl of fresh water inside?
The same logic that they use when they would rather drink out of the toilet when there is a fresh bowl of filtered water no more than five feet away.

(Yes, we try to keep the lids down at all times but we do have guests, etc. and both Persi & Alley are guilty of this.)

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is so funny!

My kitten gets in Hurley and Pandora's faces when they are eating. Whenever they try to eat she has to be right there and she will usually push them out of the way so she can eat too. She will do this even though there are 4 bowls of kibble in different locations. LOL