The 2023 Gardening Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugggghhhh I found out my husband threw slow release fertilizer granules in my flower garden and here not knowing much thought I have aster yellows. I was about to tear up a part of my garden over fertilizer granules 🐱

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have a recommendation for a PH testor?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to post this but gardening seems a logical place, since there are all kinds of biting insects out there. Any kind of insect bite, even ants or gnats leaves me swollen, itchy and miserable for at least a week. I will have to get up a couple times a night to apply hot water or a heated spoon to the bites so I can sleep. But I just purchased a battery operated Beurer “Insect Bite Healer” that almost instantly applies heat right where you need it at the push of a button. Nothing to try it on right now but I think it will be really really helpful.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will be harvesting my garlic - if it ever quits raining for a few days. Everything is slower this year. Guess because we had cool weather for so long this spring. This time last year I had already harvested and was in the process of curing my garlic. I also dug my potatoes this time last year. Only about 1/4 of the row is ready.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs We're in the same situation with rain.
I need to start pulling onions, but need several days of no rain. Last year, I put them on our picnic table and they were fine. These year, I may need to put them in the basement. They're growing out of the ground and they're ready to be pulled.
Followed by the red beets.

I've started harvesting yellow and green squash. The yellow tomato bush is giving us tomatoes. And I'm doing banana peppers and jalapenos 2 - 3 times a week.

Rick dug some really nice potatoes the other week for me to make potato salad. Very nice.

He's going to pull the pea plants out at the end of July. He's been letting them in the ground because of the nitrogen.

Our pole beans have finally started to flower.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our garden is doing well. I've been pulling peppers right and left, getting them in the freezer. I'm making jalapeno-cheddar bread and buns with the jalapenos. Roasting the poblanos and putting them into various things; made a huge pot of chili for the freezer, tried them in an omelet, things like that. The poblanos have a nice warmth, not really hot.
Peppers.jpg

JalChedBread.jpg

JalChedBuns.jpg

We've been getting yellow tomatoes, but the red tomatoes are just kind of hanging around and not turning color. Corn is not quite ready; Rick brought two ears down just to check and they need to fill out a bit.

Squash is making me crazy. Two squash plants (one yellow, one green) and they're really producing. It's gotten to the point where the neighbors are locking their doors when they see Rick coming. :lol:
Squash.jpg

I pulled one raised bed of onions and will finish processing them this morning. Still have another raised bed to pull. I have 20 bags of diced onions in the freezer, with 2 cups in each bag. I'm almost out of onion powder, so will need to dehydrate onions at some point.

Finished the red beets, except for one row in one of the raised beds. These is from the second pulling. Some of them got a little bigger than I would like, but they'll work. I also saved the beet "juice" from cooking the beets. Strained it through cheesecloth and boiled. That will come in handy when I make pickled eggs and red beets. Rick says the only good thing about red beets is that I pickle them with eggs. I love red beets.
BeetsSecondHaul.jpg

We planted pole beans this year. We didn't realize that the variety we planted does not get round and thick. The beans are flatter, but a good 7+ inches long. Once we realized that the beans are not going to get rounder, we went up and brought some beans down. I made ham and green beans yesterday with them. They taste good. It will be an adventure going into the "bean jungle" to look for beans!

I tore the pea plants out last night. The plants were actually producing more peas, but the peas are hard and thin....not worth taking. We left the plants in the bed for the nitrogen, but enough was enough. That raised bed is empty now as is the onion bed. Turned the soil over and they're ready for a fall crop of something, if we decide to go there.

I think that's it on the garden front, for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I definitely have been neglecting all of my outdoor gardens and pots this year. Our cherry tomatoes and blueberries are just about done for the year. I'll be picking jalapenos soon.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I forget what those beans are called. They are very prolific! I've been picking, blanching and freezing about every three days. We gave some to neighbors and to friends. And I took some over to the Harvest Table at a local church. There was a woman there when I was getting the tub of beans out of the car; she immediately thanked me and put them in her car; they didn't even get to the table. She took them right out of my hands and thanked me several times! There were enough beans to do a small canning project. I took a couple cucumbers off the Table for me to use in Fire and Ice Tomatoes.

We have three empty raised beds that are cultivated and ready for winter. Rick is going across the road to ask our neighbors if they'd sell him a small stash of manure to till into the garden later on.

Onions are pulled and on the picnic table for me to start in with on Tuesday, red beets are all done, peas are done, corn is done. The first onions were the Big Daddy and they were gorgeous. I'll be working with the Walla Walla onions now; they're not as nice or as big as the Big Daddy onions. But they'll do!

I'm still picking peppers and tomatoes. And green beans. The squash plants are still producing. Rick wants to dig the rest of the potatoes.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My garden's Leukospernum is in full flower (it's Spring here).
This bush is nearly 20 years old and huge, both pretty rare for this plant. I have never fed or watered it.. just whatever is in my sandy soil, and whatever falls from the sky. :)

leukospernum.jpg

garden 5.jpg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The garden this year was another disappointment. The only thing that produced like crazy were the cucumbers. My tomatoes were awful! Not sure if it was just blight or weather or both. I wish I could afford to haul in a truckload of compost since I can’t seem to make enough. Oh well, there is always next year.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if some of you lovely gardeners can answer a question for me:
Is it possible to dig up a plant growing in a small garden space and replant it elsewhere and have it do okay? Any tips on how best to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.