The 2017 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, no, I didn't realize your foot was still bothering you. My apologies. 

I saw on TWC last night that you guys might get hammered again Sunday with snow. Tell Jon to take his time with the blowing and shoveling!

And you be careful. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I had a few good days it wasn't hurting...guess what I did yesterday?! I tried to raise up on my toes..and gah...the pain came back in full force. I have these snowboots I wear-I can curl my toes down, I just cant curl up and bend foot up to get into a shoe- if that makes sense..and smashing my foot into the boot this morning brought it back..so I didn't work Thursday=I rested my foot all day up on a cushion and it felt pretty good..until last night at work trying to do calf rises and now I know how it happened..the most annoying thing is some injuries take 4 weeks min to heal..and yep I was told by my friends that a personal trainer would tell me to stop..but do I listen?!! NO I am stubborn that way..so I am going to keep doing arms/back chest/abs but be careful of how I bend my toes...who would guess that a toe could cause so much pain?!!!

I also saw the news and we are getting slammed AGAIN. maybe work will call work off again like they did on Thurs=one can hope! (I took vaca day on Thur=they sent everyone home at 11-so glad I didn't bother driving in-if I'm going to drive in I want 8 hours of work) And JON is a PAIN in the ___. He doesn't listen. then hurts himself then I hear him whine about it when he won't rest or stop whatever he did to cause pain..the other day he told me my foot pain is because I gained weight too fast.. that was the one I  mentioned earlier- no words.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm the same way. I'll try and try and try, until I finally realize that my foot needs to rest. A few weeks ago, right around Christmas, I got my little toe caught in the floor rail of the dog gate in the hallway. I iced it, but it immediately turned black and swelled up. I'm still not convinced that it wasn't broken, but didn't go to ER or doctor because....well, what are they going to do other than tape it? I could do that. Well, it took a while for it to really stop aching....it was really sore. Even now, depending on how I put my foot into my sneaker, that little toe will hurt. Be careful with toes....you don't realize those toes are there until you hurt one! I remember you talking about what Jon said to you; it wasn't funny and you should have smacked him silly.

3 miles on the treadmill this morning. Yesterday afternoon, I made it to 100,000 steps for this week, so I'm going to take it easy today.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok got 25 minutes of stepups done listing to Pink Floyd Dark side of the moon...it's slow enough to help me find a rhythm but fast enough to sway to...

The photo below is similar to what I do but I simply place my foot up on the step but I don't lift my body. Just finally doing some physical exercise. The foot is ok..the new boots I bought in nov are half a sz larger-still hurts the left foot but the right foot is ok. ordered 3E mens workboots online and those will be in next week. I think they will be too big but Maybe not. I prefer a thicker sock. The ones I wear now are thin to allow the foot to have room. The new sneakers I haven't taken to the gym yet. But I have 90 days to wear them and if they don't work out even after wearing they give me a full refund. Brooks shoes. These came with a solid arch support. I hope they work out. Too bad those don't come in 3E. only 2E and they were comfortable.

ok here's what I do minus the hand weights=normally yes I have hand weights in my hand and push them over my head or out in front of me to help combat my batwing under arms.

Just doing this makes the top of my thighs burn so I know it's working. good for my knee=helps with range of motion without putting weight on the knee.

The bonus of the music is it reminds me of crazy antics as a teen..it's snowing right now-and I remember listening to this album in the car with an old boyfriend-how I used to cross country ski to see him in the next town over..or ride my bike in the snow..I was crazy back then..now I would demand they come get me...but what can you do? I was young and stupid. I just remember skiing on the railroad beds that they removed the tracks-the path connected salem nh into derry/Londonderry-it was the fastest way to cut over to Londonderry from Windham...love it when I can move around! I applaud all of you guys and gals who keep moving!

I wish we heard from JTbo....

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Good job, foxxycat! Kudos! 

I'm working on my 9 out of 9 this afternoon. 3 more to go.

I know....I'm more than a little worried about him, too. I think Tammat is OK; she's probably busy and not posting. But JTbo. I don't know.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm back. I took a bit of a break from forums and stuff. I have been exercising though, 5 times a week except for this past week since I've had strep throat.

I'm doing beachbody workouts. I'm starting a new program tomorrow called core de force. I'm excited and can't wait to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'm back. I took a bit of a break from forums and stuff. I have been exercising though, 5 times a week except for this past week since I've had strep throat.

I'm doing beachbody workouts. I'm starting a new program tomorrow called core de force. I'm excited and can't wait to do it.
Nice to have you back with us.

One hour of yoga this morning. I'm really stiff in the winter. I did a 20 minute morning warm-up routine, 20 minutes of sun salutations and gentle asana and then 20 minutes of waist and hip stretches. My hips seem to have fused into place.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Hey you! Glad to see you again! I'll look up core de force. Sounds interesting.

So I did the 3 miles on the treadmill Sunday morning and I got my 9 out of 9 hours. 

New week today! Keep going!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my core de force workout this morning. I've done the first workout a couple of times over the last month but never more than just that one. Tomorrow will be a workout I've never done before and I'm excited to try it out.

I'm not walking as much as I used to since this winter has been awful. So snowy and icey this winter.I can't wait for it to warm up and I can walk more.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not walking as much as I used to since this winter has been awful. So snowy and icey this winter.I can't wait for it to warm up and I can walk more.
Me too. I've been going out for walks but only on the days when it's above freezing and the sun is out. Even then my fingers and toes go numb.

One hour of yoga today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Monday - 

4 miles on the treadmill

9 of 9 hours with 300+ steps

Absolutely no way was I walking outside in that wind yesterday at lunch; it was more than insane

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my workout called dynamic strength today. It was 46 minutes of push ups, sit ups and other exercises like that. It was definitely a challenge.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've just finished doing 3 twenty minute yoga videos that a student recommended to me. I did the morning yoga, then the hip and shoulder opening yoga and finished with the full splits routine. I can actually do the splits (in the summer) but the warm up stretch she does at around 7 minutes in! ARRRRGGGGH!

Off to work now, which means another 30 minutes bike ride.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nice, Norachan! Good job! And Owwwwww!

Good work, Mrs. B!

Tuesday - 

3.5 miles on the treadmill

3 miles walked during lunch

9 out of 9 hours with 300+ steps

I had 21,112 steps yesterday. Every time I looked at my Blaze, if I was close to getting another 100 steps, I'd get up off my tookus and walk around a bit. It added up.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my workout today which was the same one as Monday. I'm sore from yesterday's workout so today was a little rough doing the punches and jumps.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rested my foot another night. Yesterday at lunch I did those stepup thingies again. My foot from tight boots is bothering me and the injured one is feeling better. I can't win. I would walk but it hurts..soon my new boots arrive.

Gym tonight.

I envy people with the patience to do yoga..I couldn't sit still that long! And I should probably try it..it would help my sore body. I should try those tonight after the elliptical machine with my new wider width sneakers...will let you know..I think they are still too tight but I can send them back for a full refund if 90 days out they don't work even after walking on them.  brooks sneakers.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Managing to stay mobile for my lunch. Feels good to move around. Sat most of the day and trying to do computer work.

Followed some of the stuff in this video but wow I don't have as much energy as this chick:

BodyRock - 100 Day Challenge #29 - Beat My Time **Live**          

I have managed almost 15 minutes to stay moving=even my foot is feeling ok-as long as I don't bend it or jump etc.  pushups and step ups and air punches/arm lifts and general stretching

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I envy people with the patience to do yoga..I couldn't sit still that long! And I should probably try it..it would help my sore body. I should try those tonight after the elliptical machine with my new wider width sneakers...will let you know..I think they are still too tight but I can send them back for a full refund if 90 days out they don't work even after walking on them.  brooks sneakers.
It's not so much patience as pain tolerance. Having the will power to hold a pose and keep breathing deeply while your body's going "Owthishurtsowthishurtsowthishurts. Say exhale and relax now please!"

I was planning on doing another hour of yoga this afternoon, but go home to a burst water pipe. Spent ten minutes scrambling round in the snow trying to find the tap to shut off the water. Luckily it was an outdoor one, but I had to move all the canned cat food I have stored in the shed so the guy could come and remove the pipe. I've decided I don't need that pipe anymore. It just feeds the garden hose and I can do without that.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

It's not so much patience as pain tolerance. Having the will power to hold a pose and keep breathing deeply while your body's going "Owthishurtsowthishurtsowthishurts. Say exhale and relax now please!"

I was planning on doing another hour of yoga this afternoon, but go home to a burst water pipe. Spent ten minutes scrambling round in the snow trying to find the tap to shut off the water. Luckily it was an outdoor one, but I had to move all the canned cat food I have stored in the shed so the guy could come and remove the pipe. I've decided I don't need that pipe anymore. It just feeds the garden hose and I can do without that.
 I don't know that I could do that!

Oh no to the water pipe! Glad it was something that was kind of easy to fix, but still....and moving the cat food probably wasn't easy.

@foxxycat  , I wear Brooks. I swear by them. Several years ago, I was professionally fitted for walking shoes and it took the poor guy forever to find a decent pair of shoes for me because I have some foot issues. He understood and kept at it. We tried on a pair of Brooks and that's all I've worn since. I think @Tammat  wears Brooks, too, or she used to.  They're comfortable and they last. The guy told me back then that you should replace your shoes once they have about 500 miles on them, simply because they wear out and then you stand more chance of foot problems; I replace mine closer to about 700 miles. I know I should have two good pairs of shoes and then switch off every other day, but I don't do that. I wear my shoes up to about 700 miles, then buy new ones. And relegate the old ones to mowing the lawn and garden work.

Wednesday - 

3.75 miles on the treadmill

3 miles walked during lunch

9 out of 9 hours with 300+ steps

I went into a pothole yesterday while out walking and turned my ankle; you'd think I'd know where the blasted potholes are in that road by now! Foot hurts and I'm not going there. Taking a bit of a rest day today.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Winchester  I don't know if they will work for me. Even with ultra thin socks they were still narrow on the left foot. SO I am going to see what they have for mens sizes-if I can get a similar colored pair in mens-I will wear one of each. The right foot felt fine. But I still got sore and I didn't do any sprinting. I only went 3 mph and 40 minutes because I wanted to see the weather forecast. I wish the insoles were softer but it definitely felt weird to wiggle my toes in my sneakers. I will have to switch back to my ugly white old ladies walking shoes until I break these in. Maybe once the imprint of my foot will make more room-I only need 1/16" more room so the toe isn't rubbing. I thought about cutting a hole in the side and let the toe hang out..LOL. I must have been born with duck feet. Always had a hard time with shoes even as a kid. I HATED dress shoes..OUCH!

I did a few different arm machines that I had never done before and I much prefer the pulleys and free weights. In the machines you are locked into one way down and one way up. You can't have a variation because of different proportions. The lat pull down machine was weird because it's spaced too far apart and the foot pedals too close to the center bar. When you are plus sized it's akward to say the least-if they designed the machine to have 7 or 8 inch wide bar on the bottom to put your feet that would be better.  I have to raise the seat so high because I am short so my feet can't touch the ground like I normally do on the pulleys..It was interesting but I noticed they use rubber bands and weights..wonder how we know if it's an actual real time weight..see my engineering mind thinks about when I work out?! Not my breathing-nope it's how would I design this better..lol. Maybe it's because I have worked in fabrication for so long that it just comes natural now..

Then I went back to the smith machine and did chest press..only got up to 75 lbs. I tried this machine you kneel on and twist side to side..it's strange because you push one side then it swings by=I couldn't figure out how to rotate the seat so I can do the other side..I did 20-30-40 lbs.. and the dreaded abs weight machine. 15-20 lbs and barely did 20 of each. It was 6:15pm by then..long enough..I didn't get to the gym until 4:30 because I was puttering around. So not a bad workout but my foot still sore..but It is do able...

Status
Not open for further replies.