Thawing Meat

zach12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long does it take for a 5 and 10 lb pack of frozen meat from Hare Today to thaw in the refrigerator?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about Hare Today's meats. . .but I once bought a 5-pound pack of Nature's Variety, and it took forever to thaw! I think I left it in the fridge for for 4 days before I tried portioning it up, and it was still frozen in the middle. I could still portion it though. Plus I didn't have a container big enough for it so it leaked meat juice all over the fridge :mad:.

I just buy the 1-pound size and live with the price difference. I think it's worth it for the convenience. Hare Today doesn't have much of a price difference anyway---only about 5 cents a pound difference between the 5-pound and the 1-pound! Which meats have a 10-pound size? I didn't see that. I can't imagine how long that would take to thaw. . .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zach12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are are 5 lb size each. Sorry about that. I got 10 lbs of the chicken total and 5 of the ground rabbit. I do not know if I should wait until they are completely thawed before I try to separate into single portions or just do it as it thaws?

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to wait a few days for 2lbs. I then decided my fridge was at a really cold setting.  Still takes a day or two for 2lbs, so I imagine longer for 5lbs.

My tubs of rad cat took FOREVER to thaw.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can wait until they're thawed on the outside, but still frozen on the inside. With a sharp knife, you should be able to slice them into sizes that should dethaw better. If you're not mixing anything into them, there's not any reason not to portion them up if you can. Run the blade under cool water, helps it slice frozen meat better.

I like the 2 pound chubs. I put them in a bowl of cold water, and they take maybe 1.5 hours to dethaw enough that I can dump them in a bowl, mix in the Alnutrin and water, and mix them up to portion them out.

zach12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I started to weigh the raw meat into 1 lb sections to add the alnutin I noticed that the package did not add up to the 5 lb, it was less. So I added a little less of the supplement to the package and mixed it the best I could. Boy was it cold. Is that correct or could I have put in the 5 scoops for the 5 lbs? Also, it is normal for package to be less than the 5 lbs?  Next time I will order the 2 lb to make it easier.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes they weigh a little more, sometimes a little less. :nod: And yeah, the alnutrin is one scoop per pound along with 1/4 cup water per pound (helps melt it in there).

And yes - the 2 pound packages are much easier to work with!

zach12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will it hurt anything if i put a little less or more than the 5 scoops of the supplement? I put a little less than the 5 because there wasn't quite 5 lbs of raw meat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it won't hurt - a little less, a little more. It's not a substance that requires pinpoint precision. :D It's egg yolk and some vitamins. :D