That face!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

You might have seen your cat doing what's called "flehmen". Cats have an extra sensory organ in the roof of the mouth that's similar to the sense of smell except more sensitive. Whenever they come across a scent that they particularly want to sample, or perhaps enjoy, they open their mouth in what looks like a grimace, drawing air in and up into the "Jacobsen's organ". It goes along with a kind of a spacey look.
Ohhhhhhhhh... NEAT! Thanks for that info! That's really interesting! Billy likes my dad's HORRIBLY smelly shoes!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

It seems like all cats like stinky shoes! Don't ask me why. My mum used to have a cat that instead of rubbing around your legs in greeting would come up to you, put his head down on your shoes/feet and turn a somersault! Used to say he had a foot fetish
Billy has a foot fettish, too. We always say that. He does that to people's feet, and their shoes, too! He once stuck his face in my grandma's tennis shoes, and got his face stuck! He got it out, but he freaked out for a second!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both horses and cats have the flehmen reaction. It is funny when you see young foals doing it too as they learn the world about them. But I don't know if other animals do.