Thanksgiving?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here's how I make gravy......

Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan. Cook and stir until a nice nutty brown color. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir well to incorporate the flour into the butter. You want a nice roux. Keep stirring until the flour is brownish in color, that way you know the flour is cooked a bit. You want the mixture to bubble gently, not boil. On low heat, add 1-1/2 cups of broth or stock, stirring as you go. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down and let it bubble a bit. Stir in another 1/2 cup of liquid (broth or stock). You shouldn't have any lumps, but if you do, simply strain the gravy.

Now, I usually add a bit of pepper to the mix I'm a pepper head). If I'm making chicken or turkey gravy, I'll add some poultry seasoning and maybe some parsley. If I'm making beef gravy, I'll add 1/2 cup of a good red wine instead of broth or stock. I make gravy from pork, too, using the same method.

I don't add salt at all, I never do. I make my own chicken, turkey and beef broths and store them in the freezer for when I need them and they have so salt either. 

I have a recipe for an all-purpose type of gravy that I use for holiday cooking when I simply do not want to hassle with making gravy at the last minute. It's around here somewhere.....I though I had it in The Recipe Exchange, but I don't see it in there. I'll add the recipe tonight. That recipe is a little complicated....not really hard, but it takes a while to make it. You start by sauteing onion, celery, and carrot until they're really, really dark, not burned, but really dark. Then you add the flour to the vegetables and incorporate. Then you add the broth and seasonings....usually some peppercorns, a bay leaf, and a bit of thyme. I cook this for about 45 minutes or so, skimming any foam off the top. Then when it's thick enough to suit me, I cool it down, put it into a container, and throw it in the fridge until the next day when I reheat it for dinner. I hate having to deal with gravy at the last minute. I hate making mashed potatoes at the last minute, too, so I always make them ahead of time. That way, all I have to do is plop the potatoes in the oven to reheat and there's no rushing around.

I'm sure other people have other ideas and some better ways of making gravy. This is the way that works for me.

As for a meat pie, I make Cornish pasties and deep-dish chicken pies. I'm going to make a turkey pie today, using the leftover turkey and the gravy from Thanksgiving. Meat pies aren't hard to make, but they are time-consuming sometimes. And I will make a bit of extra turkey gravy today to add to the gravy for our pie. I use about 4 cups of gravy in the pie....nobody can say my turkey pie is too dry!! 

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Pat, that reminds me of the Allstate commercial that talked about how many garages catch on fire due to turkey fryers. Sorry you're under a burning ban, though. Like you I can understand it but geez it stinks!

They just had a story on the news of this happening to a local family, but their whole house caught on fire! :eek:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I go to the local market and buy the gravy they make. :lol3: It's one of the few things I don't make. :lol3:

So did anyone try something new that was a huge success?

The apple crisp cheesecake went over well here as did the asparagus and feta salad. I made the pioneer woman's make ahead mashed potatoes and they worked out great. I think I will always use this recipe from now on. I always make Mac and cheese, but this year I should have made a triple batch instead of a double. A lot of that went.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a little off topic but I love the Pioneer Woman's website.   I guess she's associated with the Food Network now, I hope she doesn't change.  I love the down home way she walks people through her recipes.  You also don't have to break the bank buying ingredients for her recipes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're planning on having a low-key Thanksgiving at home this year with just the furbabies and us. I'm planning to make:
-turkey
-dressing
-sweet potato casserole
-green bean casserole
-blue cranberry sauce
(Anything else, my mom is making if she comes over to eat with us!) My aim is to make enough leftovers to take to some to my older family members to eat on during Hanukkah, and to light candles with them at their home. Since they're older, it's hard to get them out, so after we celebrate Thanksgiving here, I'm hoping to take a meal over to they home for them, and to light candles.

Thanksgiving/Hanukkah aside, I'm planning to start decorating our house on Black Friday for Christmas. I'm still recovering from surgery, so I may keep things a bit more low-key this year, but still plan to decorate![emoji]127876[/emoji]
WWhat on earth is blue cranberry?
It is homemade cranberry sauce with fresh blueberries added to it. It is terrific; I make it every year and everyone enjoys it! (You could use raspberries or strawberries and alter the recipe based on what you can purchase near you.) :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is homemade cranberry sauce with fresh blueberries added to it. It is terrific; I make it every year and everyone enjoys it! (You could use raspberries or strawberries and alter the recipe based on what you can purchase near you.) :)
Oh I've done my bit of making jams and such. At one point when my kids were young I had to buy a new fridge but kept the old one which was always full of jams. Strawberry apricot red plums yellow plum peach plus more and 3 kilo of everything which is about 6.6lbs. And I can't get cranberries here.