Thanksgiving-how do you spend it?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone within my husband's huge extended family usually hosts the dinner at their house and everyone brings food, then we gorge & sit around & gab. My family is all out of state, so I don't get to see them very often.

When I lived by myself, I would either get together with friends, or just cook a little dinner, w/ a turkey breast or a game hen.

Cornish game hens are great if you want a nice dinner but not a lot of leftovers. If we get our oven fixed in time for Thanksgiving, I might like to cook dinner just for Hubby & I, since it is our first together as a married couple.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister in law and brother in law are from out of state, so they drive up for the long weekend. We eat!! And then we eat!! And then we eat somemore!

I have a huge family on my side, so at some point over that long weekend I also try to see my family for a little 'after' Thanksgiving Feast.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Tobycat. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.....no gifts, nothing like that.....just a good meal. I don't have any hard and fast tradition since my divorce, but I never fail to get that meal in some way. My best friend and I cooked last year for his boss and a few others from his company. I think they are cooking this year. Personally, I would make the entire meal, even if it was just for me. I am a Thanksgiving fanatic!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the past few years, Dad has come to Cleveland from Maryland for Thanksgiving. We'd go see the new Harry Potter movie at the earliest showing, but not this year
Dad falls asleep on the living room floor with Ivo for an hour or two, and then we go out to dinner. We eat Thanksgiving dinner at a local restaurant, Nighttown (where you get turkey and all the fixins served with an Irish accent). It's a nice break for the both of us.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the last 2 years we've done the "orphan" Thanksgiving at a friends house - we've all lost our parents and live a far distance from other relatives. Everyone brings a dish or two, and Mike deep frys the turkey. Deep-fryed turkeys are awesome if you have never had one before.

On Saturday I make a turkey for Steve and I and our critters. Everyone gets their own little plate of fixins and everyone is fat and happy. I love the way the older ones start to salivate once they start smelling the turkey cooking in the oven. The young ones see the adults getting excited and the house turns into an Indie-500. They only get people food when I make turkey and they get really excited by the smell.