Thanksgiving Eve Stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pru has eaten her food doctored with the de-wormer med and just has one more dose of antibiotic to go. My husband put a screen door on the spare room she is in yesterday, so now she isn't closed in and can get used to our sounds etc.
She is still behind the futon when I come in the room, I always pull back the futon pad and talk to her. A few days ago I started putting my hand out to her and touched her nose. She didn't run or protest, but I could feel her shiver. The next day I rubbed between her eyes and advanced to rubbing her ears. She has not hissed or gotten out of the way. Last night I started the same routine and rubbed down her spine, always going back to the ears for a good rub. I realized after a while she was arching her back up as I petted down to the tail. She would turn around to look at me and when I brought my hand up to rub the ears again, she met my hand with the side of her face to be rubbed! After a while she turned her body the other direction and I sensed our session was over.
I didn't wait for her to come to me, there has just been something about her that has made me think she wants contact. We felt this way when we saw her outside and she would run from us. My husband feels she was communicating an interest in us, which is why he started leaving food out for her.
I am so happy she is responding to my overtures and we'll see if she will progress to coming out in the open soon.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it certainly does sound like she is progressing really well. You & your husband are doing an amazing job with Pru. I just love reading these updates - thanks for continuing to let us know how everything is going!

how is your husbands arm btw? after the bite? heal up okay?

blowing kisses Pru's way - be brave little one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let me be patient,

Pru is letting me pet her through the futon slats and is perfectly happy with this arrangement. She loves the attention of being rubbed and petted, I tire before she does. She is now rolling onto her side and allowing me to rub her belly. Her belly!! She trusts me to do that, but coming out into the open is still too much for her.

She is so adorable. She is black and grey striped with brown fur on the underside, a small tabby for her age. Her temperament is so sweet, she hasn't hissed or scratched. She stretches her paws in and out (not the claws, just the toes) while petting her. I thought she was shivering, but now the shiver has a sound and it is a loud purr. A few times, usually after prolonged belly rubbing, she has put her teeth on my hand, not biting, just touching the teeth to my hand very gently, telling me "enough". I did not expect any of this after our rough start with her. Yes, my husband's bite healed quite nicely.

I sit on the floor when not doing contortions petting through the futon and try to be patient. I think she is a lap cat just waiting to happen. It is probably just a matter of time now, but do any of you have suggestions to tempt her out?

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

It is probably just a matter of time now, but do any of you have suggestions to tempt her out?
honestly - you just need to let her go at her own pace at this stage. When she is ready she will come out.. it might take a while or it might happen next week.

All signs sound positive though!! I dont think its going to be that far away at all... I just love hearing the updates!!