Thanksgiving argument...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Hold your ground Heather- you deserve a good Thanksgiving the way you and your family- you your hubby, and the kits want it! Don't let those people give you a guilt trip....be polite, but stay firm.
I'm here if you wanna talk sweetie- i hope they don't try to give you a guilt trip-but it sounds like they will- just be kind but firm and let them know that this year you are going to do Thanksgiving your way and that you have already planned it out with your husband. Good luck
Thanks... this is always my challenge. I don't want her to be upset with me but she backs me into a corner every time. In all honesty I think she likes the fight. I just got my first call from my MIL. She said that I am a mean person from keeping my husband away from his family during the holidays. My response was that she knew that I was cooking my own dinner a month ago. If she wanted to make different plans she should have told me then. DH has gotten three calls at work today, but hasn't picked any of them up. It's going to be a long two weeks.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Thanks... this is always my challenge. I don't want her to be upset with me but she backs me into a corner every time. In all honesty I think she likes the fight. I just got my first call from my MIL. She said that I am a mean person from keeping my husband away from his family during the holidays. My response was that she knew that I was cooking my own dinner a month ago. If she wanted to make different plans she should have told me then. DH has gotten three calls at work today, but hasn't picked any of them up. It's going to be a long two weeks.
Not to be mean, but your MIL sounds like a heifer to me. She has no right to guilt trip you. You are not keeping your husband away from his family- you are your husbands's new family! When you marry, you leave your family and cleave to your husband/wife and they become your new family. And besides that, you are not keeping him away from them- he is a grown man who can make his own decisions about his holiday plans...and he has, he has chosen to spend Thanksgiving with his wife (and I think it was a good decision
). His family needs to realize that. Hang in there gorgeous- it will be ok
Scratch and 8-bit will cheer you up when you get home

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I totally aggree with StarryEyedTiger on that one! But, being the conflict fearing avoider that I am, I probably would try to placate everyone if I were in your situation...heck I just finished doing that with my MIL.

My MIL is treated like total $#i! by my FIL's parents (who unfortunately live right next door). She takes it and they treat her horribly. But that's how she was raised, and she smiles and nods and treats them with respect and cows to her MIL every time. So, when I stand up for myself and don't go along with the "family" she doesn't quite understand how I could not just do what she wants. It's funny, since one of the reasons she likes me (according to DH) is that I am independant and intelligent and stand up for myself.

Hang in there, stick to your guns and enjoy your Thanksgiving with your hubby! They will get over it eventually!