Territory woes and feeling sad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy to hear the good news! How is a Shadow doing?
Shadow is still loving life outside except for the new invaders that have found his deck.  Two new cats (another orange and a black one) have found their way to Shadow's home.  The black cat just walks across the deck and looks at Shadow so no problems.  The orange one has been hiding under the deck and bit Shadow on the back side last Saturday evening.  I was able to clean the wound, apply antibiotic ointment as well as give him some Arnica.  It was two very small bites and he was fine within a few hours. I worry so much about Shadow as he is just not capable of fighting or getting these cats away from his territory.  At night they stroll up onto the deck and he is sound asleep on his love seat.  I often wonder if he plays opossum so they think he is asleep.  Fortunately he sticks very close to home. 

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor Shadow! Is there any way to block the deck at night to keep them away? Are they ferals or neighbor's cats? Maybe at some point Shadow could go into the garage for nights only since he prefers outside living.

I take care of two female ferals, both spayed. I feed every day, they have a very nice shelter. The woman who originally cared for them moved away, I took over their care and her next door neighbor is kind enough to allow them to live on her porch. Three weeks ago, another cat showed up. It was disruptive to the girls. He was kind of shabby looking, very hungry. But he would meow at me and follow me when I would leave. It took a week but I trapped him, got him fixed and now he is in a very large dog crate at my husband's warehouse in an office. He is still aggressive toward me, but I am going to give him some time to see if he will come around. I had hoped he was just a lost pet, and I could rehome him, but that does not seem likely. If he comes around, he can stay at the warehouse, if not, I will have to relocate him in my yard. He is the fourth cat to come into the girl's area since I took over their care. It is very frustrating. I hope things work out for you and Shadow, I know my girls were my first and foremost concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, poor Shadow! Is there any way to block the deck at night to keep them away? Are they ferals or neighbor's cats? Maybe at some point Shadow could go into the garage for nights only since he prefers outside living.

I take care of two female ferals, both spayed. I feed every day, they have a very nice shelter. The woman who originally cared for them moved away, I took over their care and her next door neighbor is kind enough to allow them to live on her porch. Three weeks ago, another cat showed up. It was disruptive to the girls. He was kind of shabby looking, very hungry. But he would meow at me and follow me when I would leave. It took a week but I trapped him, got him fixed and now he is in a very large dog crate at my husband's warehouse in an office. He is still aggressive toward me, but I am going to give him some time to see if he will come around. I had hoped he was just a lost pet, and I could rehome him, but that does not seem likely. If he comes around, he can stay at the warehouse, if not, I will have to relocate him in my yard. He is the fourth cat to come into the girl's area since I took over their care. It is very frustrating. I hope things work out for you and Shadow, I know my girls were my first and foremost concern.
We have talked of blocking the deck so no one cat get underneath, but Shadow goes under there when it rains and I hate to take it away from him.  Also the cats could still get up on the deck. 

I had thought one of the cats was my neighbors, but after checking with her, the cat looks similar, but it's not hers.  The other cat appears to be a stray.  They seem to be checking out Shadow's home as well as looking for food.  Their visits are becoming less frequent.  For now I will do nothing.  If necessary, I will trap them and try to find someone to take them.  I just cannot take on any more cats. 

Shadow is my baby and my first and foremost cat.  He has come so far.  I just wish he would be bold.  His friend, Patches

(my other feral who chooses to wander all summer despite being neutered!) was such a comfort to Shadow.  They were best buddies and so enjoyed each other.  Patches just loves to wander and most likely will not come back to me until fall when he needs food and shelter.  He did not like Marvin and I worry that he may not want to come back thinking that Marvin is still around. 

It seems that all of these cats just come out of the woodwork.  I live in the middle of suburbia and just cannot get over all of the stray cats.  I have taken in 3 and I know of many others wandering around.  It just makes me so sad.  One of my neighbors is a true cat lady and she has taken in 10 and they all live in/out of her house.  Thank goodness for all of us caretakers.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are right, they just keep on coming! I just cannot take any more in either, but I see ferals around more and more. I have managed to trap one leafy, I know there are one or two more to get! It just never seems to end. But I understand your devotion to Shadow, and I hope he stays healthy and happy with you.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!!   I'm so glad Marvin was cool in the carrier and at the vet, sounds like he must not have been a feral after all.   I bet he is SO happy to have a home again.