Territorial Kitten

orangiela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a kitten in July. She loves people usually and is super cuddly. She lives outside since we are allergic, but we have built her a nice warm house and have a protected area for food and water. In the last couple weeks, we have noticed she is playing really rough in the garage when we let her in there. Last week, she jumped and latched on to the back of my leg, cutting it open in several places and causing me to bleed quite a bit.

Whenever we let her in the garage, she lets out an odd meow (a bitchy one) and flicks her tail waiting for an opportunity to pounce on people. She does this to company as well.

Any idea why she has started doing this??

How do we break her of this behavior?

TIA

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
In my opinion, a kitten left alone without human company for a large portion of days and nights will revert to almost feral. She needs the company of people or other cats. If you cannot have her with you because of allergies either get allergy treatment or find a new home for this girl before she gets older.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I disagree slightly with susanm9006 susanm9006 - pouncing humans is an indication of trust, so that is good. And you mentioned her being cuddly. Also good. Pouncing too hard with claws and teeth is also a normal thing that kittens not yet adequately guided do. You need to say "no" firmly and play with the kitten in other ways. It sounds like maybe you can do that in the garage without allergies being a problem, so think you'll be fine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

orangiela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my opinion, a kitten left alone without human company for a large portion of days and nights will revert to almost feral. She needs the company of people or other cats. If you cannot have her with you because of allergies either get allergy treatment or find a new home for this girl before she gets older.
The shelter is over packed here and we kept her because they told us she would be killed. So her options are death or loving humans that take wonderful care of her. Unfortunately, I also feel that keeping a kitten in the house is imprisonment and I would never force that upon my animals. We have successfully raised numerous animals on our farm, as people have for thousands of years. Assuming that because she is outside she is "left alone without human company for a large portion of days and nights" is ignorant. This is not the case. She is very well behaved on the patio, in the yard, in the shed, in our vehicles, but the garage is the only problem.

orangiela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I disagree slightly with susanm9006 susanm9006 - pouncing humans is an indication of trust, so that is good. And you mentioned her being cuddly. Also good. Pouncing too hard with claws and teeth is also a normal thing that kittens not yet adequately guided do. You need to say "no" firmly and play with the kitten in other ways. It sounds like maybe you can do that in the garage without allergies being a problem, so think you'll be fine.
We play with her in the yard, on the patio, around the gardens, in the barn, everywhere else. For some reason, we cannot pet her in the garage and this is where the attacking happens. It is only recently and I should also mention she never did this as a little kitten, but she is nearing 5 months now and the behavior is just starting. I cannot think of anything that has ever happened to her in the garage that could cause this.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, don't overthink it. Somehow, someway, the kitten got in its mind that the garage is the spot for rough play. Not abnormal for kittens to develop spots for things, not abnormal for kittens to get a little bitey as part of rough play and doesn't change what you need to do. Just say "no" firmly and don't pet her in the garage unless she is obviously calm. Nothing to worry about, sounds like a perfectly normal kitten. Just discourage it or you'll get scratched up.

orangiela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eh, don't overthink it. Somehow, someway, the kitten got in its mind that the garage is the spot for rough play. Not abnormal for kittens to develop spots for things, not abnormal for kittens to get a little bitey as part of rough play and doesn't change what you need to do. Just say "no" firmly and don't pet her in the garage unless she is obviously calm. Nothing to worry about, sounds like a perfectly normal kitten. Just discourage it or you'll get scratched up.

Thanks so much for this advice. Glad to hear some reassurance that we are doing OK and hopefully she will mature from this phase.