Territorial Female When Menstruating

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this might be tmi but every month when i have my period my fixed female (Freya) won't let my two fixed males near me and she poops and pees around the house if they come near!

It's getting very frustrating, I've added litter boxes, safe places, multiple beds, scratchers, climbers and tons of toys on rotation but i can't do much about my biology!

Any advice on how to deal with this? She's been doing this since I got her about a year ago (former stray). I love her tons despite this behaviour but it's stressful for me and my cats to deal with every month!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a bit lost on this...I've always known that cats can smell (and react to) changes in hormone levels. I can't tell you how many "normal" cats have gone nuts when their person got pregnant, only to go back to being themselves about 6 weeks after the birth, when the new mama's hormones started to settle down again.

I'll do some digging, and ask around. You may have to isolate her that week, if worse comes to worse. Let's try to avoid it, but it is SUCH an odd issure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for looking into it, I've tried to google it but I've had a hard time finding any useful info... or any info for that matter! She must be sensitive to my hormones i guess? She knows a day or two before my period and starts this behaviour, once it ends she tends to go back to her previous nonchalant self... it's a very weird predicament!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is going way into hypothetical and a smidgen of humanizing but here I go....

We've long said that mating for female cats on the streets is not gentle and can be very violent. It could be that while she was a stray cat she either had a negative personal experience or felt protective of other females. Some cats, especially females, can form very strong bonds. For some reason the situation stuck with her or happened frequently enough to lock in an automatic response. When she joined your home she resumed her role of protector with you.

I'd talk to your vet about trying a treatment as if she was suffering from PTSD or anti anxiety.

Like I said, way out there and I may just be humanizing entirely. But it wouldn't hurt to give it a three month trial if your vet is on board. If it gets better great, and if not good attempt. It could be that just knocking her out of the cycle, no pun intended, of over protective will show her that you are fine. So even if it goes good you could wean her off after a few months and see if it was enough to break the habit.

encino34

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess its no better than my younger cat peeing on our sex towel :p

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, countrycatlady countrycatlady , you've stumped a group of people who are a LOT like Farmer's Insurance, "We know a lot of things because we've seen a lot of things!" Still trying to come up with some reasonable answer, but I think educated guesses are the best we're going to do! There are a good many cat behaviorists around, notably Jackson Galaxy. Perhaps a few letters to them would be in order?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this behavior a rather odd. Still, its much sympathetic.

She is protecting you. I think as Kieka thinks, she is protecting you whatever the exact reason.
I dunno if its the hormones coming out with your periodical blood, OR its the blood itself: you are "wounded and hurt" and so she is protecting you... Sweet, really sweet.

The only other reading my be some sort of jealousy. But its my second best guess.

You could perhaps try with a Feliway diffuser?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it sounds like anxiety. i'd do what Kieka suggested and try her out on anti anxiety meds for awhile in a small dose to see if you can break the cycle.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, this behavior a rather odd. Still, its much sympathetic.

She is protecting you. I think as Kieka thinks, she is protecting you whatever the exact reason.
I dunno if its the hormones coming out with your periodical blood, OR its the blood itself: you are "wounded and hurt" and so she is protecting you... Sweet, really sweet.

The only other reading my be some sort of jealousy. But its my second best guess.

You could perhaps try with a Feliway diffuser?

on the topic of the feliway diffusers.. the stuff they emit contains some nasty carcinogens. My husband has a degree in organic chemistry. when he read the ingredients he nearly went thru the roof that we'd had them in the house. the sprays are fine but i'd think ten times before using the diffusers

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First time I hear
on the topic of the feliway diffusers.. the stuff they emit contains some nasty carcinogens. My husband has a degree in organic chemistry. when he read the ingredients he nearly went thru the roof that we'd had them in the house. the sprays are fine but i'd think ten times before using the diffusers
it. Tx for the warning, now we can look onto it. Tx!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps take her to the vet (phone/email first to explain) when you're on your period and ask for her hormone levels to be checked. She might have some latent ovarian function.

Cats can smell hormones and blood but that alone doesn't account for her aggression towards your boys. Logically, if she were picking up on your reproductive receptivity, and wishing to protect you from being mated by one of the boys, then she would do so when you ovulate and not when you menstruate. So, it might be that she is picking up on your behaviour as well as your smell.

Do you suffer any premenstrual syndrome and/or PMT?

Do you take the contraceptive pill, injection, or patch? It is possible that you could leach these hormones out through your sweat (and pee but I suspect you're not peeing on your cat!). Or, do you live with a woman taking hormone replacement therapy?

As per usual, I'm going to suggest giving her valerian when you're on your period. It's a calmative and sedative herb for both animals and humans and is perfectly safe. I recommend your 'googling' it. It is very effective in all kinds of moodiness situations. And, perhaps to wash yourself with a ph balanced substance (maybe bicarbonate of soda - tis very good for your skin), and not soap, to reduce your odour.

This is very intriguing and you've got us all interested in your reproductive cycle now, so please keep us updated. If you were feeling so inclined, you might wish to keep a diary for your next few cycles to see if you notice any behaviour change in her when you ovulate (10 to 14 days after the start of your period); and it would also help you to notice if you have behavioural changes associated with your period that she may be responding to as well. Keep an eye out for behaviour changes by your boys that might play a part, too.

:daisy:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If valerian isn't readily available, you can try chamomile tea. Pick it up in the coffee/tea aisle of the grocery store, brew, chill and give 1-3 teaspoonsful up to 3 times a day. It is milder than valerian, but it is also calming.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was interesting...although the idea of cuddling an iguana is beyond me. I think they are interesting, and fun to watch, but not really "cuddly" at all.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Eek! Mind you, it wouldn't occur to me to snuggle up with a cuddly iguana at the best of times. But, well done for taking one for the team, daisyd daisyd , and volunteering yourself and Gracie as guinea pigs. With no context this comment could mean anything imaginable! And, as I rather like that thought, I will leave it thus. :thumbsup:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha Gracie falls into the category of not caring ! As long as she has breakfast, dinner and a few snacks she doesn’t care about my cycle !

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - I initially thought there were no changes in Gracie’s behaviour towards me during this period (pardon the pun); however I think she does... she always sleeps on the bed at night near my legs in a ball although she does have a bed, and armchair to sleep.. every so often she does sleep in her own bed and I always wondered why .. sooo, from last Sunday night until Saturday just gone she has slept in her own bed. Two nights ago she was back on the bed with me... which happen to be the same date I came off !!! I will monitor again in a month

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Very interesting. :einstein: :read::einstein: Please do keep up the 'experiment'. I'll try to do the same although my memory is pants (pardon the whatever you'd call that), so it will be a miracle if I remember [I can't remember what I was doing a moment ago :sigh:]. But, at least one of us can keep their white coat on for long enough to remember what they're doing. :confused2: