Terrible reaction to flea meds!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset...

I read that Tevrapet Actispot was a generic for Advantage II and at half the price, so I read up on the product, compared ingredients, read the insert literature for any harmful side effects, and read all the reviews on Amazon and the company website. I didn't see anything to indicate it was any more of a risk than Advantage II, or any less effective.

This cat is a former feral, 3 years indoors, maybe 15-17 years old, is allergic to everything including himself, had 6 week Depo shots to control allergies and asthma, is on fluoxetine for OCD which developed after a full mouth extraction in January (stomatitis, resorptive lesions, and severe periodontal disease). My friend is a furry hot mess but all I'm trying to do is help.

I administered the Tevrapet flea medication for 9+lb cats to all three cats. The 14-year-old Maine Coon mix and 10-year-old Nebelung space cadet were fine. Old man feral started immediately losing hair around his neck, and not in the usual "spot" that happens sometimes. Like hair falling out at the root in a surgical shave-type pattern down the side of his face and ending under his neck. It's like he scratched his neck and spread the medicine, and it burned him or something! He is an indoor cat as all of mine are but I'm in Florida where it's flea season 12 months a year and fleas come in through the front door with you. This cat was bitten by one flea once on a month when I was late on his medication and he had a whole-body allergic reaction, so he must have treatment.

And now this. I'm just so upset. The vet gave us Amimax cream "in case of fungus" but they agree it's not a fungus, but maybe it will help with hair regrowth. So far, one month later, no hair is regrowing where the white hair was. On the back of his neck where the grey hair was, there is evidence of some hair regrowth. But OMG.... I've never seen anything like this. I wanted so much to like this product but can't believe this happened. He also developed painful urination at the same time the hair started falling out, yowling in the litterbox, and taking a long time to pee. No crystals, no bacteria, and no infection. Just a mysteriously inflamed bladder which resolved in two weeks after preventative Clavamox but like I said--no infection or bacteria.

Has anyone ever had a reaction like this and did the hair grow back?? I'll stick to Advantage II for him now regardless of the price but the fact this can happen makes me really way of all these "medications." I hate fleas. Seriously.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, I am sorry. I hope he's feeling back to normal and this reaction is behind him.
My cats (and dogs) have had mild to moderate reactions over the years, and for them, I used whatever worked on them before and decided I wasn't going to try anything new on them. I wish Advantage II wasn't so expensive, but, would it be possible to use that on him and the new stuff on the other two cats who handled it just fine?
I am with you that I hate fleas. They are so incredibly annoying, especially if you have one who is that allergic to their bites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely he's getting the expensive Advantage II and the other two can stay on the Tevrapet but I hope this doesn't happen to them as they get older. I'm not sure if it's an allergy thing, an immune system thing, or what. The ingredients and percentages are identical between the two but I'm not sure about the compounding or inactive ingredients since that info isn't available. I've searched and searched and can't find any other instance of this with this product. Just my luck to be the first case, right?? 😩

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Wow, that’s horrible!!’Did the vet think it was a reaction to the product? How soon after application did this happen? You need to report this to the company.

Once a long time ago I was able to sneak some frontline on a feral. He immediately started yowling and scratching. I felt horrible but couldn’t do anything as I couldn’t touch him. He developed a huge hotspot that eventually healed but the hair didn’t grow back.

I never used frontline again. This was back in the early 1990’s.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely he's getting the expensive Advantage II and the other two can stay on the Tevrapet but I hope this doesn't happen to them as they get older. I'm not sure if it's an allergy thing, an immune system thing, or what. The ingredients and percentages are identical between the two but I'm not sure about the compounding or inactive ingredients since that info isn't available. I've searched and searched and can't find any other instance of this with this product. Just my luck to be the first case, right?? 😩
Did you get the Tevrapet from the vet, a store, etc.? I'm sure there's a way to contact the company and report a reaction, especially if this is a newer product.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Wow, that’s horrible!!’Did the vet think it was a reaction to the product? How soon after application did this happen? You need to report this to the company.

Once a long time ago I was able to sneak some frontline on a feral. He immediately started yowling and scratching. I felt horrible but couldn’t do anything as I couldn’t touch him. He developed a huge hotspot that eventually healed but the hair didn’t grow back.

I stopped using Frontline years ago. It used to be the gold standard but it just does NOT work here anymore.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you get the Tevrapet from the vet, a store, etc.? I'm sure there's a way to contact the company and report a reaction, especially if this is a newer product.
I bought it directly from the company site on the 9+lb cat medicine. Gave it to all three over 9lbs but only he has this happen. I left a review on the company website but mysteriously it isn't showing up....

I noticed the hair loss starting around 5 days after application and it was ridiculous after that...like clumps of hair all around the house and every time he scratched the area hair just came out everywhere. It's been 40 days since the application and those pictures were taken 2 days ago, so I don't think the hair is coming back...

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise

The vet thinks it was the flea medication due to the "burn pattern" that is so sharp like it literally dripped down or was scratched and spread downward. We've seen ringworm and flea allergy dermatitis before with this one but never bald to the skin and hair falling out at the root in a weird pattern like that....and a mysterious bladder inflammation at the exact same time as the worst of the hair loss.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet thinks it was the flea medication due to the "burn pattern" that is so sharp like it literally dripped down or was scratched and spread downward. We've seen ringworm and flea allergy dermatitis before with this one but never bald to the skin and hair falling out at the root in a weird pattern like that....and a mysterious bladder inflammation at the exact same time as the worst of the hair loss.
That is really strange, the pictures look like the hair came out clean to the root. I would call the company, and just tell them that you had 2 cats do great, but one cat with a history of certain medical problems that didn't, and let them decide what to do from there. They may get similar calls and find that something in the formulation doesn't do well with cats with certain medical issues and could put that on the label to help others avoid this in the future.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
That is really strange, the pictures look like the hair came out clean to the root. I would call the company, and just tell them that you had 2 cats do great, but one cat with a history of certain medical problems that didn't, and let them decide what to do from there. They may get similar calls and find that something in the formulation doesn't do well with cats with certain medical issues and could put that on the label to help others avoid this in the future.
I think I will call them. Definitely, there needs to be a warning for cats with allergies, but even if there was, their claim of being the same formula as Advantage II would have made me use it since he's never had a problem with Advantage. The active ingredient % are the same but who knows about the rest.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is there a lump on his neck? Is that new or just a skin tag he had before.
The vet said that’s just a skin tag. I never saw it when he had fur there. Apparently he has another one on the other side too that the vet found when they were checking him.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I thought maybe it was from the medication. I personaly never use non perscription flea medications, there was an issue here a while ago with flea medication burning cats and small dogs necks. My friends yorkie ended up with a big mark on his neck like someone poured sulfiric acid on his neck.

I can't remember what it was but they bought it at petsmart I think.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I will call them. Definitely, there needs to be a warning for cats with allergies, but even if there was, their claim of being the same formula as Advantage II would have made me use it since he's never had a problem with Advantage. The active ingredient % are the same but who knows about the rest.
If you call them, let us know what their response was like. I respect companies that take these things seriously and hopefully they will take note of this. I hope your little buddy makes a full recovery.
Does he liked to be brushed? Gently brushing the area with a gentle pin brush (NOT a slicker brush on bare skin) could possibly help stimulate the hair follicles. If he can tolerate it, a good quality fish oil could help, too.