Terrible death of my cat - Hartz warning

artfunkal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used Hartz ultra plus flea and tick spray on my cat in the afternoon a perfectly healthy 9 yr old tabby , by night he was wet around his mouth I thought he just took a drink by morning he was yelling loudly , saliva hanging from his mouth he jumped down walked a little flopped over and seizured then jumped up and just stared I took him outside to get fresh air he got a blood spot on his mouth and within minutes he was dead , He was my best freind , It broke my heart to see him suffer like that and to know I put that stuff on him , I will have to live with that memory NEVER NEW THE DANGERS AND I PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE I LOST MY BEST FREIND

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh NOOOO. I am so very, very truly sorry for your terrible loss. How terribly emotionally damaging this must be for you. You cannot blame yourself NO, not at all. You must call Hartz right away. I have heard of this happening before with the flea products from Hartz. My heart goes out to you. I would spread the word about this so it doesn't happen to someone elses cat. Again, you did not expect this to happen, how could you?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have sadly, dozens of emails in my bin with this same type of story. I am sorry for your loss, but yes, if you use any Hartz treatment (or other product manufacturers) treatment on your cat that is used for BOTH cats and dogs, chances are your cat will come to harm or even die. I avoid anything over the counter for cats period, except for food. Anything my cats need, I get it from the vet because at least then, you get coverage should something go wrong.

I am so sorry you lost your friend-

http://www.hartzsyndrome.org/

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made the same mistake and almost lost my boy. I had NO idea how bad this stuff was! He got very ill but luckily my vet was able to help him.

Its a really harsh lesson to learn and I am so so sorry it ended this way for you.

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why are they still in business? I have read about these stories for years and years.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my God, I am so, so sorry... ugh, I can't even imagine how that must feel. Very, very sorry for your loss and sending lots of prayers and love in your direction.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How horrible and haunting..
I am SO sorry about this.
I am also so glad I have learned online these kinds of things and stay updated with the latest. I knew about Hartz but hearing the result firsthand will make me speak up a lot more adamantly if I think someone is going to use it on their cat.
So very terrible..my heart breaks for you and your cat.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, that is awful that you and your cat had to go through that. Hartz is awful and I don't know how they still stay in business, I wish they weren't.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell everyone I know not to use these products and periodically post the link to hartzvictims on Facebook. Scary to think grocery stores, department stores and even pet stores sell this stuff, probably knowing themselves how dangerous it is.

As previously said, artfunkal, do not blame yourself. You didn't know. It breaks my heart to read yet another story of how this stuff has taken away a pet from a loving, unknowing owner. for you during this difficult time.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Losing your best friend will be hard to get over - just stay with us and express your feelings here. You are safe here to say and feel what you need to say and feel.

Extraordinarily saddened to hear of what happend and for your great loss.

Much care,

Julie O'

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anything with pyrethrin will harm cats. It react with the body neurologically. Most over-the-counter flea products use pyrethin because it is very effective for ticks.
My vet has told me that cats are so sensitive to pyrethrin, that if you applied it to your dog, and your cat rubbed up against your dog before it had a chance to completely absorb, that cat could get sick.
I dont know how these companies are able to put such a dangerous product on the market.

I am so sorry for your loss artfunkal. I know how devastating it is to lose a best friend.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

I wish someone would stop Hartz from distributing such known dangerous products. If you Google Hartz+death, you get over a million results. This is an ongoing problem and I can't believe they haven't been held accountable for the many, many deaths and serious illnesses their products have caused. Probably many more than the pet food contamination, but that got tons of media attention. It leaves me scratching my head. (don't get me wrong, both situations deserve the attention, I just can't believe Hartz gets away with it)

Thank you for sharing your story, it may save a pets life if it stops just one person from using their products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artfunkal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put Hartz ultra guard flea and tick spray on my cat by night time he was wet around his mouth i thought maybe he just drank water , by morning he had sliva hanging out his mouth , then he had a seisure flipping around on floor sat up i carried him outside to get him some fresh air with in minutes he was dead , he was totally healthy before i put that poison on him now hes dead and worst of all i feel like i killed him because i put it on him , he was my best buddy and my company and now hes gone with a few sprays of a bottle and the worst is i did it to him by putting that stuff on him

SORRY I REPEATED POST , BUT I JUST DONT WANT TO SEE ANYONE ELSES PET DIE LIKE THIS , IT WAS HEART BREAKING TO WATCH

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible thing. I feel so bad for you and your poor little friend. It's not your fault. You meant to do your cat good.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. We understand your grief and anger. We would feel just as miserable.

Robin

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this even in the midst of your pain. I am sure you are hurting very much and it is hard for you to tell about what happened. But if it saves one cat's life, then that will be a blessing. Your communication may keep someone else from using that stuff. Have you reported your cat's reaction and death to the Hartz people.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't blame yourself. I know its hard not to, but it's not like you did it intentionally to hurt your cat. It was a mistake that thousands of people have made. Myself included.
Now you can spread the word and maybe save another cats or dogs life.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The company no doubt understands the gravity of the situation after being saddled with numerous lawsuits, representing angry victims in the thousands, but legal action will only hurt them financially - it will not directly force an end to the sale of their lethal products. Hartz will pay out to shut everyone up, but in the end, will not stop them from hurting, or even killing, more of our pets.

If we want to get these products off of the shelves, each and every adverse reaction or death needs to be reported, not just to Hartz (they bury the reports that they they consider to be less severe) but also directly to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) who will (hopefully) investigate any and all complaints. The EPA getting enough of these incidences will be the catalyst to finally forcing Hartz to either pull the items from store shelves or a manufacture change in the formulation of its product to something much safer.

http://www.hartzkills.org/

EPA-
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Pesticide Programs (Mail Code 7509C) Ariel Rios Building 1200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington, D.C. 20460
E-mail: [email protected]
When contacting the EPA directly (provide them with the EPA Reg. # of the product, which is printed on the packaging)

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/hartz.html