Terrible accident.

stella1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

This is my first time on this site but I feel comfortable among the fellow cat/animal lovers here. I've been a life long cat owner, from 5 years old to the present day, and I have a huge love and respect for them.

Yesterday was a terribly sad day - I was driving down the street and ran over a cat on a semi busy road, it ran so quickly that I barely saw it out of the corner of my eye before it was too late. I was in shock and pulled over, with the help of strangers and my boyfriend who was in the passenger seat, we found the cat who ran into a yard. I brought my car around and I took him to a vet, which was closed (I didn't think to call ahead I wasn't thinking)...I then called around and found an open vet a few blocks away. We took the cat there and waited. He had no collar but luckily had a microchip and the owners were called. When my boyfriend and I knew the owners were on their way, we left. I called the vet later that day and found out the cat had not made it. I will always know that I caused this pain and can't believe I took this life and I will never ever forget the way the car moved when it struck him. This is very difficult to write, this is also affecting me deeply. I feel stuck in a place where I want to turn back time but I can't. What can I do to make this better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stella1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never hit an animal before, I would swerve to avoid hitting anything from a bird to a squirrel to anything. I never thought this would happen.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Stella, I'm so sorry this happened, but please don't blame yourself. You didn't hit the cat deliberately and you did everything you did to help him. Very few people would have even stopped, let alone tried to find the cat and take him to a vet. He could have died alone out in the cold, but because of your consideration for him at least he passed away relatively easily.

Really, these things can't be helped.

All you can do now is to try and help other cats who are still alive and need some of your love and attention. There are so many things you could do. Volunteer at a local shelter, foster or re-home an unwanted cat, get involved with any of the animal charities in your area.

You're obviously a very caring person, I think you should take those intense feelings you are having now and channel them into something positive.

A fellow animal lover.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Stella, I'm so sorry this happened, but please don't blame yourself. You didn't hit the cat deliberately and you did everything you did to help him. Very few people would have even stopped, let alone tried to find the cat and take him to a vet. He could have died alone out in the cold, but because of your consideration for him at least he passed away relatively easily.

Really, these things can't be helped.
:yeah: What happened was beyond your control. The important thing is that you stopped and did everything in your power to help the cat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What happened was beyond your control. The important thing is that you stopped and did everything in your power to help the cat.
Yes!  Over the years here I recall a few other times when people have joined just to talk to someone about this happening to them.  It's a risk we take with outdoor cats but that doesn't make it any easier.  You did what you could and that speaks volumes for your character.  I hope in time you can find some peace with what happened. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Yes!  Over the years here I recall a few other times when people have joined just to talk to someone about this happening to them.  It's a risk we take with outdoor cats but that doesn't make it any easier.  You did what you could and that speaks volumes for your character.  I hope in time you can find some peace with what happened. 
I can only echo what others have said, such a painful experience and you did everything your could, more than most others would.  Cats do dart out in to the road and it is very difficult to see them coming just as it is with other small animals.  Driving a car is a massive responsibility and right now you are experiencing the pain that comes from accepting that.  Norachan had some very wise words earlier, and I feel there is much you can do to heal your wounded soul through positive actions.  

stella1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I appreciate the advice and kindness from all of you I really needed it - I've decided to check out the PAWS cat city center in my area, I have some extra time on my hands and I know that working to help other cats and animals (and of course continuing to love my own cat) will help me feel balanced and set things right.

Thank you again.

snufkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Coco was hit 2 years ago. We lived on a small acess road, with only a church on the road. We would let coco out during the day, and he would always come in at night. One night, he didn't come in when we called, so we went looking. We finally found him, and think he was attacked on purpose as he was a black kitty. Please know that you did the right thing by bringing him in. You didn't leave him. That's such a huge huge act, that so many people couldn't be bothered to do. It will be hard to get over when you're such a big animal lover ( I hit a possum last week and cried). But find peace in knowing that you did what you could, when such a motorcity of people don't have that compassion.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
it is NOT your fault. Remember that.. NOT YOUR FAULT!

I do not like to blame anyone, but the owners let the cat outside. Again, NOT YOUR FAULT! 

You did what you could. Most people would not bother to even check on the animal they've hit. you did. you did the right thing and took him to the vet. I am proud of you for doing that much :)

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stella- I am so sorry this has happened. I also hit a cat ( last year) and it was devastating. I had been picking up my son from work in a heavy rainstorm. It was so dark. The cat I hit was black and I didn't see him until the second before I hit him. He had jumped from the center divide and at that last second he turned toward the car and I saw his eyes.He ran and I could not find him. Because of the way I hit him I am sure he died . I tortured myself for many nights with visions of this poor kitty dying alone. What happened with you was not your fault. It wasn't God and the universe knows that you of all people would never hurt an animal on purpose. Time heals. Forgive yourself.

stella1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, I have a black cat too, I can't imagine that happening to mine. Thanks for the kind words though - I'm glad people here understand how I'm feeling, and I'm sorry to hear about the possum, that also was not your fault, they are known to be very blind and all over the place. Anyway, thank you again.