Terramycin Vs Veterycin

mummified

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking to treat eye infection in a kitten:
as cost/distance is a factor, the closest place I could find terramycin is nearly an hour away. Veterycin is available at a nearby petstore.

I have used terramycin in the past with good results but am curious if anyone has used veterycin to cure an eye infection?

Before anyone asks, because folks always do, I do not take my foster former-ferals to vets unless they are in dire need. I am funded entirely by my own money and local vets do not offer their services for free. Terramycin is purchasable without a prescription and I have treated eye infections numerous times before with it, cost/ease of access is what brought me here. :] I usually feed/care for about 5 litters in a year.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you're incredible!
I have no experience but maybe lalagimp lalagimp 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 have a moment and can give you their thoughts?
Oh, by the way in case you're not already familiar, 1-800-petmeds can be a good source as is drsfosterandsmith.

Last edited:

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking to treat eye infection in a kitten:
as cost/distance is a factor, the closest place I could find terramycin is nearly an hour away. Veterycin is available at a nearby petstore.

I have used terramycin in the past with good results but am curious if anyone has used veterycin to cure an eye infection?

Before anyone asks, because folks always do, I do not take my foster former-ferals to vets unless they are in dire need. I am funded entirely by my own money and local vets do not offer their services for free. Terramycin is purchasable without a prescription and I have treated eye infections numerous times before with it, cost/ease of access is what brought me here. :] I usually feed/care for about 5 litters in a year.
If you have a tractor supply nearby they carry it
Pfizer Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, 1/8 oz. at Tractor Supply Co.

Also a lot of feed stores likely carry it as well.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never treated a full blown eye infection, but I use this stuff for very cruddy eyes like when the cats end up having allergy issues or a cold and their eyes are gooping colored stuff. I had to use it routinely on Tommy's dog sister because she was shihtzu mix and her undereye was always matted.
Ark Naturals Eyes So Bright Dog & Cat Gentle Cleanser, 4-oz bottle

DrsFosterSmith take about a week to deliver anything I've ever ordered from them, so if you want to get her treated right away it might be safest to go with what you know and put in that hour drive if you can.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon has terramycin, if you're able to order online. I try to always have some on hand. If you look for it at TSC, it may be in a locked cabinet, perhaps in the horse section. Sometimes the clerks there don't know where something is so you have to help them out ;).

You could use the vetericyn until the terramycin arrives, to keep things from getting worse. It may be enough if the kitten's eyes are just sort of nasty, but if it's a true infection I think only terramycin will do.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do what W Willowy suggested and use the new stuff now and get some terramycin whenever you can to have on hand, so if the new stuff isn't working as you wish, you can start treating with something tried and true.
We had a kitten with terrible eyes, and we also gave them L-Lysiene powder and the eyes cleared up from being bad enough we were considering they may have to be removed (it was bad), to the eyes being 100% normal. :thumbsup:

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some people on another thread suggested neosporin ointment a a substitute for terramycin. I'll see if I can find that for you.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the link to another forum which mentioned it. And yes, they mentioned that the opthamalic ointment is preferable since it is sterile. Although others on this board said they used plain neosporin, I'd stay with the sterile option!
terramycin eye ointment

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the link to another forum which mentioned it. And yes, they mentioned that the opthamalic ointment is preferable since it is sterile. Although others on this board said they used plain neosporin, I'd stay with the sterile option!
terramycin eye ointment