Temporarly moving house - stressful for cats?

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the xmas holiday we usually go visit my mom's place and stay a couple days. This is my first year with cats and wondering if I can bring them with me. Will being in a new house for a day or 2 be really stressful for them? The alternative is me cutting the holiday short so I can get back in time to feed them..  Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can stop by my home to feed them while I'm away.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For the xmas holiday we usually go visit my mom's place and stay a couple days. This is my first year with cats and wondering if I can bring them with me. Will being in a new house for a day or 2 be really stressful for them? The alternative is me cutting the holiday short so I can get back in time to feed them..  Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can stop by my home to feed them while I'm away.
This really depends on the personalities of your cats.  I am going to ask you some questions that will be helpful for others to give you advice.  How do your cats handle car rides?  How comfortable are they around strangers?  Does your mom have any pets of her own?  How old are your cats? The answers to these questions would be helpful because they would give insight into how your cats would handle being in a new environment.

You could try reaching out to your vet to see if any of the staff does pet-sitting.  Here is another thing you could try to use to find a cat sitter.  I used to cat sit for one of my friends and she had to go out of town while I was on vacation.  I live in an area where a lot of people have dogs so she started talking to people who were out walking their dogs in the neighborhood.  Most of the people in my neighborhood also work and use dog-walkers while they are at work.  One of the neighbors she talked to also has cats and travels for work.  My friend found a wonderful professional cat-sitter to come in and take care of her cats by doing this. One of her cats at that time required pills twice a day for his Diabetes.  The cat-sitter was easily able to take care of this.  She was also able to get other professional references and references from other neighbors that allowed her to feel confident leaving her cat in the care of someone she did not know personally. My friend moved out of state so I no longer cat sit for her.  She was able to find a new cat sitter when she moved by doing this again.  I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't have a car so it would be a train ride. However I've taken them both multiple times on my bike to the vet in town and they've handled this fine.. So I don't think the transport would be too much of an issue.

They are 7 months and 4.5 months old. Both very friendly. The 7 month old is a birman - he loves people and is not shy at all - very laid back. The other is a brittish shorthair, a little more reserved and shy but very calm. But they both have met my mom twice so she's not really a stranger. She has no other pets at home.

I appreciate your advice!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We don't have a car so it would be a train ride. However I've taken them both multiple times on my bike to the vet in town and they've handled this fine.. So I don't think the transport would be too much of an issue.

They are 7 months and 4.5 months old. Both very friendly. The 7 month old is a birman - he loves people and is not shy at all - very laid back. The other is a brittish shorthair, a little more reserved and shy but very calm. But they both have met my mom twice so she's not really a stranger. She has no other pets at home.

I appreciate your advice!
Have you tried taking your cats on a train ride to see how they would react?  This might be something else to check out.  It is good that your cats are younger. Some cats are comfortable taking on new environments.  My now two year old cat Casey is a total people cat and can handle car rides. When he was a kitten I used to take him to visit my grandma when she was in assisted living.  She had cats of her own that had passed away years ago and really missed having a pet.  My grandma did not feel comfortable adopting anymore cats because she was older and did not want to put them through having to be re-homed when her time was up.  My grandma loved it when Casey would visit with us and other residents she was friends with would also enjoy being able to spend time with Casey.  My grandma passed away when Casey was still young but I would to this day be bringing him to visit her if she were still alive.  Casey loved all the attention he got.  

If you are confident your babies will be comfortable making the adjustments then go for it. I would try doing a train ride with them before the trip just to see how they react.  If things go well that is great.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
An hour is not very long if you think they can handle it.  Also, it makes it easier that your mom has no other pets.  You know your situation best, therefore, should do what is right for you.  Best of luck and enjoy the holidays!