Temperature Check In Mama Lou

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently took in my neighbor's cat that wasn't fixed (didn't think to ask) as I didn't want her to take her to a shelter and she is expecting. Since I don't know when she conceived I've been looking for signs and checking her temperature. Her normal range is 100.1-100.3 , and today it was 99.3 !!! Is this a good sign??? She also has been sleeping a lot the last two days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't wait until my cat has hers

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Temperature is not the most reliable predictor, so it's not necessary to keep taking it. If you do, you can take it under her front fore arm and add 3 degrees.

courtsport

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:nod:I to have a pregnant Cat. We live on a farm and like to have some cats to help out with the field mice. This is my 4th time dealing with "signs" of labor. Lol everything I read says that temp drop is a sure sign of labor within 24 to 48 hours. But like all things nature will take its course, Calico's temp dropped a few days ago and then went back to normal. Today it is down to 99.6[emoji]128512[/emoji] I hope this is it, she is super big, and the baby's can be seen moving around. I feel bad for her. The sides of her belly get so hard from the kittens. I'm guessing she will have at least 4.

Temp is one thing you can go by, also behavior. This his her first litter, and since we brought her inside so she can have a safe clean place. She has been very active, she will go from me to my daughter and wants tons of love. Then she will go lay on the kitchen floor for awhile.

Best thing to do is just pay attention from day to day, have a nesting box set up and when you start to think she will never have them?! You will wake up to kittens. Good luck! And update us please. :clap::rbheart:

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I will keep you updated. She isn't eating a lot today so I'm getting excited lol ..Hopefully we will become kitten moms around the same time [emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji]

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know but she is close I'm monitoring her very closely [emoji]128525[/emoji]

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first picture is 2 weeks old the second one is today

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her temp under her arm and it was 98.0 without me minusing 3

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
or adding sorry so I guess it would be 98.3 now... Earlier that was a rectal temp

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking the cat's temperature is not a reliable indicator of labor. 

In the days before labor starts, she will become more affectionate.  She will lose her mucus plug.  Her water will break or leak.  She will have loose stools.  Her nest will become more appealing.  She will 'drop' which is when the kittens move into the birth canal - she'll look slimmer.

when labor begins she will breath a little harder and you will see ripples along her sides.

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her stools were runny today

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yay I hope so! I'm a stay at home mom so this waiting game is killing me even though u have nothing but time lol

remyndlou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is now laying in my bathroom where she NEVER goes lol