Telling the sex of my 2 kittens

aifitton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with telling the gender of my two kittens.
1000006722.jpg
1000006723.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Looks like a female and a male to me. But, they are ginger kittens, and most are male. Do you know anything about the parents? It takes two gingers to produce ginger females.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aifitton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a female and a male to me. But, they are ginger kittens, and most are male. Do you know anything about the parents? It takes two gingers to produce ginger females.

aifitton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The dads ginger and mum is tortoise she'll with ginger

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A aifitton Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Question, couldn't mom carry the ginger gene to get the two recessive genes necessary to make an orange female?

If I remember right I think we had an orange female from a calico mum when I was a child. My mum couldn't remember either, since we only fostered them for 3 months..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are correct! The father cat must be orange, but the mother must carry the orange gene (orange, calico, or tortoiseshell). A aifitton says the mom cat is tortoiseshell with orange, and dad is ginger, so it is possible that one of the kittens is a female. Time will tell!

And I apologize for not remembering my facts correctly earlier in the thread. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! 😻

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are correct! The father cat must be orange, but the mother must carry the orange gene (orange, calico, or tortoiseshell). A aifitton says the mom cat is tortoiseshell with orange, and dad is ginger, so it is possible that one of the kittens is a female. Time will tell!

And I apologize for not remembering my facts correctly earlier in the thread. Thank you for bringing this to my attention! 😻
😅 I was thinking it would be the same as red-haired gene for people! Both must carry. Genetics is always confusing 🤣

aifitton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1000006825.jpg
1000006826.jpg

This is them now at 4.1 weeks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you have a female on the left and a male on the right.

aifitton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's my thoughts on them aswell. Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to get them spayed and neutered by 4 months or the male may begin trying to mate with the female.