Tell us about your "cats with a past"

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, thanks for all the wonderful stories.  I'm really enjoying reading them.

Casper, our bi-color white/ginger tabby boy (not sure exactly what you would categorize him as) is second hand.  He came to us through one of my good friends, who had him since he was a kitten.  My friend is a photographer, and I had seen photos of Casper which was so charming, plus, I'm am sure I had met him at least a few times over the years, but didn't quite remember.  When he was around 9-1/2 years old, my friend found himself in a relationship with someone who could not manage to fit Casper into their household, in spite of the fact that her dog was there, and several of her kids as well.  His son was there too but poor Casper, after being in the house with them for some time, just "wasn't working out" as far as she was concerned.  Since they were on the verge of marrying he had put his house up for sale in NJ (they were living in NYC) and Casper, was sent back to the house pretty much to spend his time alone indoors and out.  Neighbors looked in on him, and my friend would come back on weekends to make sure all was ok.  

It finally got to a point where he realized this was too much running around, and he knew my partner and I had been contemplating getting a cat.  Tom, my BF, always had kitties his whole life.  However, it took literally months before he finally was able to let go being as he was so attached to the cat.  He had him, I believe, even before his first marriage and Casper had been his best buddy, consoling him through many of life's ups and downs.  So, after assuring us of how fantastic he was, and how he wouldn't even think of rehoming him if he wasn't such a great cat, he came to our house one cold winter day with Casper in his arms, and just put him on our living room floor while we hung out and chatted.  No litter box came with him, no toys.  He did bring his favorite blankie and some food.  

Well, Casper made himself right at home.  I think he understood somehow what was going on.  He started to check out the house, but it was with not once ounce of trepidation or concern.  Within several minutes, he was back with us, calmly situated and purring.  My friend stayed for about an hour or so, and finally left Casper with us.  

Honestly, we had no issues at all with him.  We liked him, and he liked us.  We didn't even worry about him being an older cat at all.  He especially bonded with my BF since he was out of work, home and maybe because he was used to being around a male presence.  Casper is now 12 years old.  My friend, never married that woman, and has regrets I'm sure about giving his beloved cat up.  But honestly, he couldn't have found better adoptive parents.  We adore him.

Cocoabean, our long haired tortoiseshell, is surely second hand.  We got her last December from one of the local rescue organizations.  She was found right after Hurricane Sandy, in a neighboring town.  She was extremely friendly, had no fear of people handling her, although she was being abused by children on the street from what I understand so she was somewhat timid at first and to this day, when new people come in she has a bit of trepidation but usually it passes (although, of the two, other than that, she is far more adaptable to her environment being changed - probably because of her prior circumstances).  She had to have been someone's pet that either got out, or was put out because she loves being groomed, never claws or uses her mouth on people, loves belly rubs and allows you to touch every part of her body easily.  She is just so well socialized it is hard to believe that she was living outdoors for any period of time.  We have no idea how old she is; the vet guessed between 3-5 years old but we suspect she is younger based on her energy level and the fact that she seems to have grown quite a bit in the 10 months since we've had her.  She is the clown of the two, so delightful to watch, and has blossomed under our care into a confident, happy and healthy kitty.  We obviously adore her as well.

We're lucky that they wound up liking each other.  I followed every single piece of advice given to me here and by a good friend who has several cats, and many through the years.  Everyone was very helpful about introductions and it worked.  Cocoa has been a great addition for all of us, giving Casper some much needed feline companionship as it turns out, and keeping him on his toes too.  And she is a "cats cat", one who likes other kitties a lot, she wouldn't have been happy, I think, being a solo cat.  

Here's a recent photo of both together.  Please ignore the tuft of fur on the floor.  They had just been play fighting lol.  Then gave me their best, "what us?" looks, and lay down in identical poses 

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One cat I rescued has an odd background story (well, so does another but it's like 90% mystery), and it's one that has an important lesson. Sherlock Blue, aka Sherlue, formally just Blue, is a cat I originally had no intentions of keeping.

It started out with me making a clicking noise at him one night when you couldn't got one day/night without seeing him. Sherlue charged me and began frantically rubbing his head against my hand and demanding belly rubs. After ten minutes I took him back to the unit I thought was his, and I was kinda right. The woman explained that he adopted them. One day I decided that I'd take him to the vet and get him checked out and vaccinated, since the owners only allowed him in 1 hour a day. I had no intentions of keeping him though but rather watch out for him since I felt bad about taking someone else's cat. FYI, I know you shouldn't vaccinate a cat you don't know because 2 close-together vaccines are bad, but it was obviously not an issue.

At the vet I discovered that he was chipped, and not to the people in that unit. His registered address was in a city 27 miles away, the timeline didn't fit, and his name was different. Based on the woman's comment about him adopting them, I figured the pet-mom moved and forgot to update the information. I tried to get in touch with her and ensued a reason to always update your pet information:
- The registered number did not have a voicemail so I had to keep calling. When I finally got an answer, it was clearly the pet-mom's ex-mother-in-law who hated said pet-mom.
- Ex-MIL gave me a number to someone else (not sure who, the woman's accent was incredibly thick and she wouldn't given names or even her's). That phone number was never answered and the voicemail was always full. So many red flags.

Based on the limited info I have from that and pieces at the apartment complex, I think pet-mom ultimately abandoned him during the rash of pet abandonment (leases now have an addendum about what will happen to you if you're found neglectful of an animal or abandon them, with very detailed outlines and stiff fines) and eventually he tried moving back into the unit he once lived in. He could've been lost but there's no signs he was looked for.

The cat is SUPER friendly and shockingly needy. You'd think a cat abandoned/neglected twice would be distrusting, but he's the exact opposite. He was really sick, with blocked glands and his immune system completely shot due to 4 persistent infections and a rotting tooth, and I nursed him back to health and had his information changed to make him officially mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
These are such terrific stories, and so many of them make me think, "Wow, that cat recognized right away whom it could turn to for help!".

rita5792

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was never a cat lover before I met my first cat. It was a night at the end of Oct. We were living about 2.5 hrs north of the NYC. I was taking train to the office every day. She was at the corner of the only available parking lot in the apartment complex. My husband called her when we got out of the car and she came. I pet her and she started following us around. We thought she gets lost and we tried to find her home but nobody know her. She followed us to the first floor and kept meowing at us. I asked her if she can come home with her and she came upstairs right away and walked into the apartment. Next time we want to take her out for a walk. She ran away when we closed the door. My husband tried to find her after he drop me off at the train station without success but she showed up again when I came home that night. She has been a great cat since we took her home. But you can tell that she is a cat with a past. She had an abandon issue and she didn't like a man. The first time when we moved to another place she was jumping into the box that we were trying to pack and was afraid that we are not taking her with us.. when we moved all of our stuff in the car,  she ran downstairs next to the car to see if there is a room for her and sneak back to the empty apartment to play the ball and pretended that she didn't care.At the first few months we had her, she had to go out all the time. I think that she wants to make sure that she can survive and remember how to survive alone in case that she was left behind again.  She scrapped us all the time at the first few months but she stop doing that after she declided that she like us. After a couple of moves, she finally believes that we will never leave her behind. Now she still wants to go out to eat grass but she will meow her way back when she wants to come in. My guess about her past is that she was taken home by a girl with a single dad. They never fed her enough food so they can keep her small. I think they probably only fed her treats. I think when she scrap the dad, he took her in the car and drove her to our apartment complex and dumped her. She was so afraid to go into the car. The first time I took her in the car, she was almost sound like she was begging not to leave her. She probably was only a little over 2 lbs when we first got her.  We took her in the vet the day before Christmas. She only weighted 3 to 4 lbs and the vet told us that she was over one year old. We called her lucky. One thing that I learn from this cat is that she never settled for less. Once in a while, Lucky  went out and have us to look for her hard - so she can make sure that she has a owner who loves her forever and will never give up on her. She does that less and less now because she know that we do love her. She really surprised me how much she has overcome her past and become a happy cat now. My husband said that she always has a sense of entitlement for the best. I think that's why she took a chance with us 10 years ago. 

Since then, we had adopted another cat from petco and took another one in after our neighbor moved away. All of our cats are very sweet and smart. But Lucky is always the special one because she adopted us.

I am researching something for cat's joint and hip for her tonight and that's why I come across this forum. Just want to share Lucky's story here because I think we can learn from this cat -- never settle for less and leave the past behind. 

Here is lucky's picture. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
That is a great story!  Thanks for sharing it.  What a pretty kitty.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of my kitties came to me with unknown pasts. My first kitty ever - Mollie - was a stray tabby kitten that ran right in the house on my birthday in 1990, and we kept him. Unfortunately since I roughhoused with him as a child and my mother felt that he was doing too much damage to me with his claws, she had him de-clawed. Which just meant he switched to biting, but as I got older and mellowed out, so didn't he. He was such a playful kitty, batting at my hair dangling over the side of the couch, chasing imaginary things around the house, playing with string and milk jug rings, doing all this until about two weeks before he died. It's like he just aged overnight and got really weak and thin, and when I took him to the vet for an emergency visit, he simply passed away when an IV was inserted. I'm not sure if it was just old age or an illness I didn't know about, but he died only about a week and a half after turning 15.

Caspurr and Rolly were sibling kitties. Their mum was a pregnant stray that my family took in when she was about ready to pop. I remember being in the fifth grade and seeing the newborn kittens before going to school, and I held each one of them that very day. Sadly, the mom kitty passed away very suddenly from feline leukemia pretty much immediately after the kittens were weaned. Two of the kittens were successfully re-homed, I was keeping Caspurr, but no one wanted Rolly. So I kept him too. Once we got the all-clear that they did not have feline leukemia like their mother, they were spayed/neutered and became Mollie's roomies. I never knew siblings could be so vastly different. Caspurr was very independent and established her position as queen of the house very early on, taking no crap from anyone else. She also ate like a garbage disposal her whole life and stayed at a steady six pounds until I started her on kitten chow (no, she was not hyperthyroid - just had a good metabolism). Rolly, on the other hand, was a pushover, but also a lap cat. He didn't eat much, but managed to somehow grow into his name, weighing 17 pounds for just about his whole adult life. Rolly also had a tendency of drooling when he was happy and would go the extra mile to smear his slobber down my arm or across my face. They seemed to never want me to get out of bed either; countless times I'd wake up with Caspurr sleeping on my legs and Rolly on my back, and because I'm such a sucker for my cats, I would hold my bladder until they decided to get up because I didn't want to disturb them. Poor Caspurr and Rolly had to be put down within not even two months of each other. Caspurr made a miraculous recovery from an "idiopathic" esophageal stricture, but she also had lung cancer. She had a UTI during her last days of life and I still don't know if it was the tumor or complications from the infection that was the final nail in the coffin, but I had to let her go when she started having seizures. Rolly's illness was much more swift; only a week elapsed between the onset of symptoms and him needing to be put down. He filled up with fluid due to metastatic pancreatic cancer. These are the only kitties I ever owned that I had from the very day they were born. Both were 14, almost 15.

Kippy is my only remaining kitty right now and he was also a stray. About nine years ago, he was nosing around in the backyard and wouldn't let me near him. I put food out for him and snuck up behind him while he ate so I could pet him, and he immediately warmed up to me. When my mother walked the dog, Kip would follow right alongside them, and she decided we could bring him in just for the winter so he didn't freeze to death. Well, winter came and went and Mom said he could stay forever. After ruling out leukemia, he was neutered and became a permanent family member. He came to us missing about half his teeth, and over the years, he lost a few more, but that never stopped him from eating kibbles and catching the occasional mouse in the basement (which Rolly would proceed to take credit for). I still don't know where exactly he came from; he's much too friendly to be feral, and he had no collar. So my best guess is he's a former house cat that someone abandoned in my neck of the woods and he found his way to us.Which is good because, had he not frozen to death, he'd likely have been hit by a car or attacked by a bear or fox or raccoon. I'm not sure of his age since he came to us as an adult, but I'd have to say he's between 11 and 13 years old at least. Kip is currently in the throes of feline hepatic lipidosis, which I think was brought on by him being unable to adjust to the other cats being gone. When he was healthy, he was very vocal and bright-eyed, always wanting love (and getting it), violently nuzzling his face into my hand, meowing at my door. He's become distant lately for some reason, but I'll still love him even if he no longer loves me.

Last edited:

thejewelrybox1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued two kittens from my brothers in-laws family. One day while I'm outside their house I notice a kitten in their garage. They have two big dogs one German Shepard one Australian Shepard I commented on it and they said there was two, but I hadn't seen two. I walk outside and notice that the dog is carrying around something in its mouth so I run over and save that one. I freak out tell them off but they don't give me their kittens, so eventually that one dies. So I call the lady who is giving away these kittens to meet me so I can get one and save it from a similar fate. She brings two so I adopt them both. Gin and jade. I thought they were sisters but turns out I was wrong! They're amazing. Best cats ever. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to neuter them and they themselves have kittens, which dispute their cuteness I feel guilty about. Looking for GOOD homes for these little dudes. Wish I could keep them all but can't:(

hebi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not know much about my Bella's past. I do know that she had a family that ignored her health problems, resulting in a "cabbage ear" and a badly damaged tooth that needed to be removed. I know abandoned her, sealed in a cardboard box, in freezing temperatures. And I know that they must have been fools, because Bella is extremely good natures and loves to cuddle.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilly while not exactly preowned came from a family who's cat became pregnant when she got out and was the runt of the litter at least thats what we assumed as she was very boney and slight. When we went to pick her up the familyshe was coming from told us that the Momma had fallen pregnant again almost straight away.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is so wonderful to read these happy ending stories! All of my cats have pasts and honestly I don't like looking too hard or long at most of them but there is one calico girl we call Princess whom I've always been curious about. She showed up at a feral feeder in 2006. I don't know how often she had come when I wasn't there, but there was no hesitation when she heard a human voice. Like Cleopatra in the crowd of commoners, Princess trotted through that group of cats coming to me, looking neither left or right, like the other cats weren't even there. The other cats kept their distance from her, too. The entire situation was really quite interesting as I got to observe the contrast between the ferals and Princess, an obviously domesticated cat, in a way I never had before. Princess was confident that they were not of the same species.

After that first sighting Princess disappeared for 3 days. She came back to the feeder for 2 days in a row, eating huge amounts of food, then disappeared again for another 3 days. We went through this pattern about 5 times, with her length of staying away decreasing until finally, she was there every day and after a week of that she came home with me. I always thought that during her absences from the feeder she was perhaps going back to her former home and her previous owners either were no longer there or no longer feeding her, or that she had gotten lost and was trying to find her former home. 

The first night she was in our home there was a realistic dog bark on tv. Princess jumped up and trotted into the hall, looking for that dog. She was not frightened, it was more a reaction to a familiar sound. She also had the same response when she heard the cat flap. Princess tries to treat the other house cats the same way she treated those ferals, like they don't exist. 

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Riley my 13 year old guy is the first cat that I have had that was completly my own. I got him from a coworker of a friend when he was 3 years old and he had already had quite a story. The lady that I got him from worked at MSU. When she was leaving work she had found him in a box in one of the parking garages. At that time he was estimated to be about a year old. From what I know of his story is that a student on campus had gotten him as a kitten and had been keeping him in her dorm room. Supposedly she would take him with her to class in her book bag. Eventually it was found out that she had him and was told that she could not keep him, against Univeristy regulations to keep pets in the dorms. So she left him in the parking garage. When he was first found he had issues with his mobility because he had been limited on his movement, would never know it today. The lady that I had gotten him from had several other cats and a dog and he was not happy in the setting. When I originally got him the plan was to keep him as an only cat. I ended up having to move back home and Riley came with me. My parents already had a cat at the house, and with time Riley accepted him. Since than I have gotten my own place again and Riley with time has accepted other cats living with us.

Here is Riley, I consider him my miracle kitty with every thing he has been through
View media item 188955
Riley snoozing with some of the other kitties
View media item 188956