Tell me I can't get a puppy!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CharmsDad

It seems you answered your own concern about getting a dog:

How many times have I seen someone get a dog because they really wanted one, but were at a point in their life when it just wasn't the right thing for themselves or the dog. Dogs do require more time and effort, on a daily basis, than cats. The decision is yours to make, but your statement above seems to pretty strongly indicate that this may not be the right time.
I know now is not the right time for me to get a dog, as I stated in my original post. I am just struggling with missing my RB dog, and missing having a dog around in general, but knowing at the same time that I cannot provide proper care for a dog just now. I was just looking for a little sympathy, I guess!
Thanks for your reply.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMM this may be far fetched but how about fostering a dog or volunteering at the shelter and walking the dogs?>??

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I know now is not the right time for me to get a dog, as I stated in my original post. I am just struggling with missing my RB dog, and missing having a dog around in general, but knowing at the same time that I cannot provide proper care for a dog just now. I was just looking for a little sympathy, I guess!
Thanks for your reply.
We lost our old dog in December of 1992, it was terribly heart breaking. I had always had a dog from the time I was young and love them dearly. (Really missed our dog while I was in college - back in the 70s!) We didn't get another dog until after we moved from DC to NC, then bought a house, then settled enough that we could spend time with one. Now we have 5, plus our multiple cats, plus a few rescues from time to time, and I have worked with many people to help with their problem dogs. I did miss having a dog during those few years, but it was worth the wait to get to the position to be know I can spend the time I want with them and can afford to provide them with their needs.

kendalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please do not buy a puppy from a petstore. It's also best to stay away from Back Yard Breeders. These are people who own pet dogs and breed them either on purpose or accidentally to make some extra money or just as a fun hobby. If you buy from somebody who does not require spay/neuter, definately stay away. A really good breeder can be hard to find but it is worth it. Anybody who has puppies on the ground without homes already taken for them, is probably not a responsible breeder either.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you live vicariously through a friend who has a puppy/volunteer somewhere? I love little puppy faces, but i haven't the space or time for a puppy (and I'd want a weimaraner) so i visit friends who have puppies