Tell Me Correct Color/breed Descriptions Of My Cats (pic Heavy)

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is a regular black DSH, so I'm not posting pics of him.

Here is my female cat, Brook. My guess is a bicolor brown ticked tabby DSH. I plucked out of a box of 20 other kittens from stray mothers, so I'm guessing she doesn't have any special breeding.

And here one of my male cats, Tank. I'm posting a lot of pics of him because his true coloring is hard to catch on camera. I got him from a rescue who found him outside, unneutered in coyote territory. I have to assume he has at least some Siamese in him. Not only does he look it, but he has a different sounding meow than other cats. It's not quite the meow of a pure Siamese, but it's definitely different from other cats. I can get a video if anyone things it would help.

He was listed as a lilac point Siamese, but that doesn't seem right to me. I'm no expert by any means, but both his points and body color seem too dark to be a true lilac point. He also has clear phantom tabby markings. Stripes on his legs, tail, head, and neck, and spots on his flank.

This one you can see the phantom spots on his flank:

Facial profile:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I would describe your beautiful Brook as a brown ticked tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. Your handsome Tank appears to be a blue point broken mackeral tabby in coloring. Breed-wise, yes, probably some Siamese in him. I’m thinking maybe some Burmese in the mix as well, which could give him that flatter facial profile than a Siamese, as well as more darkening on his back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! That makes perfect sense.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would describe your beautiful Brook as a brown ticked tabby and white Domestic Shorthair. Your handsome Tank appears to be a blue point broken mackeral tabby in coloring. Breed-wise, yes, probably some Siamese in him. I’m thinking maybe some Burmese in the mix as well, which could give him that flatter facial profile than a Siamese, as well as more darkening on his back.
I agree! : )

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is a regular black DSH, so I'm not posting pics of him.

Here is my female cat, Brook. My guess is a bicolor brown ticked tabby DSH. I plucked out of a box of 20 other kittens from stray mothers, so I'm guessing she doesn't have any special breeding.

And here one of my male cats, Tank. I'm posting a lot of pics of him because his true coloring is hard to catch on camera. I got him from a rescue who found him outside, unneutered in coyote territory. I have to assume he has at least some Siamese in him. Not only does he look it, but he has a different sounding meow than other cats. It's not quite the meow of a pure Siamese, but it's definitely different from other cats. I can get a video if anyone things it would help.

He was listed as a lilac point Siamese, but that doesn't seem right to me. I'm no expert by any means, but both his points and body color seem too dark to be a true lilac point. He also has clear phantom tabby markings. Stripes on his legs, tail, head, and neck, and spots on his flank.

This one you can see the phantom spots on his flank:

Facial profile:

I'd say you're right on the nose on Brook, who's very special indeed, no matter what "breeds"! Tank (I LOVE that name for a cat, btw) might also be described as a Lynx Point Siamese mix, I think. Both are very fine felines!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful cats!

I have a short haired grey ticked tabby with white. Heidi was a kitten rescued from a feral colony. Her mother was ticked tabby, her father a tux. Heidi's white pattern is almost identical to her father's white patches. Maybe that's how Brook got her looks?

Heidi5.jpg

Tank is really gorgeous. How old his he? I have a couple of points, they seem to be getting darker and darker every year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the answers (and compliments)! They are much appreciated.

Regardless of what they are breed-wise, I love them to death. It's fun to speculate, especially on Tank. He seems to have at least Siamese in his background if not some other breed, so I often wonder how he ended up outside in coyote territory. Just seems like an unusual cat to find outside. He definitely seems different from my DSHs in appearance, personality, and even fur texture.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I thought about him possibly being lynx point, but that doesn't seem quite right. I don't know the correct terminology, but he seems like he is both solid point and tabby point? Does that still count as lynx point?

Norachan Norachan Your cat is beautiful! I love how dark she is in contrast with the white! Brook's mother was a regular tabby (sorry, once again lacking proper terms), so I imagine both the ticked and the white must have come from her father (not that I've looked too much into the inheritance pattern of these traits). I'm not sure how old Tank is. He was found outside, fully sexually mature. They said 1 year when I adopted him in June, so I guess that would make him 1 year and 9 months (wow, time flies. I didn't think I'd had him for that long yet). He's definitely young. Very energetic with pearly white teeth. I've definitely noticed that his points are getting darker. I attributed it to better nutrition, but maybe that happens naturally as well. The first picture of him was from closer to when I first got him. The other pictures I just took on the day I made the post and his points do look darker in the more recent pics.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Heidi is GORGEOUS and I also love the darkness of her ticking!
Kelise Kelise Not sure about that, as I'm a "rescued is my favorite breed" proponent rather than a "purebred" advocate. I think so, though.
Pointed cats do often change in color according to many factors. My beloved Snowshoe angel Sishya, who was rescued by me from our yard two houses ago, was almost all white as a tiny kitten *as are most pointed cats*, grew very dark, and toward the end of her time with us, became very light.
IMG_0145.JPG

Angels Sishya and Nicolas T. Cat
IMG_2494 (2).JPG

Angels Sahra and Sishya