Tell me about Jehovah's Witnesses

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

If house to house preaching was in the bible, why do I never see Christians/Catholics going door to door?
depends on the area you live in. here in the Bible belt, you do. one of my former churches had a very active evangelizing program - they would get water turn-on lists & visit.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

If house to house preaching was in the bible, why do I never see Christians/Catholics going door to door?
Clearly you've never had to listen to my doorbell on a Sunday!

Originally Posted by nurseangel

Willowy, I think you've been very lovely and polite in answering questions about your religion.
I agree!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's doctrine and there are people of a particular faith. Easy to mix those two up sometimes.

Anyway, of the JWs I've known personally: their religion is mostly about the world ending. That's pretty much what their faith is about. Whether it is ending or not (although they gave dates in the 1800s too), I doubt G-d wants us to spend all our time on Earth waiting for it to end.

They believe demons live in Smurfs, or at least did at one time. No mention demons live in all all dolls or could live in any non-living items of their choosing, but, Smurfs specifically. Smurfs are *evil* and *dangerous*.

HUMANS get to decide if you are to be kicked out of their faith due to a transgression another human claims to have witnessed (Salem witch trials anyone?). I'm not big on people judging me as a rule of a religion, on whether or not I am "allowed" to be in their church (kingdom hall).

I read a good memior by a former JW. Per this book, charity is baaaad, as in, giving to others, and education/ambition is baaaad and frowned upon. I'm not down with any religion who does not see caring for others and caring for the Earth as a 'duty' (for lack of a better word).

I have not met a JW who is social or inclusive with others, but only with "their kind". (Cults isolate). I have never gotten the impression by JWs I've known personally that they give a s*** about anyone but themselves and their pocketbooks.

Again: religion and followers are not one in the same. My observations are based on 20 years of my own personal experience and readings.

If one is already Christian, there are some good websites that do a side by side comparison of Christian doctrine vs JW doctrine.

JWs also have their own "bible" yet pretend that it is THE bible (as in the bible you get walking into any bookstore and considered the standard). I'm also not crazy about the lack of thinking on their part - I hear only forced opinions they are told to believe - and will not accept any refuting - even if it can be proven.

I wish no disrespect to anyone of any religion out there. Simply posting my interpretation and observations.

colorpointcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont deal with the jehovah witnesses..they i can stand.you say no thank you and they never bother you again..now the other religious group(forgot thename) annoy the dog crap out of me. you can say NO and they come back 5 minslagter and throw stuff on your porch..sort solved that on one street...left my rottie outside on the porch
then i moved and nolonger had my rottie...ugh...

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the deal with blood tranfusions? And here I donate every eight weeks to help out fellow humans.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know much about JW - but when my cat Penny was just a 5 week old kitten , she was trapped , spayed and adopted out (to me, a week and a half later) by a JW couple.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Sorry to disappear.....I went to Florida for a week! We did Disney, it was great. But the hotel didn't have any public-use computers and my phone wasn't working well for internet.

As I said earlier, the 144,000 are those who will serve as king and priests in heaven, governing over those who live forever on the perfected Earth (the meek shall inherit the Earth, and all that). So there are no "poor left out souls" involved.

That's terrible. We aren't supposed to use drugs or steal things. He wasn't a very good Witness, if he was one at all. But I won't defend individual Witnesses. Some of us are deeply odd (
), and all of us are imperfect. And there must be some bad apples in the bunch, though I'd have to say that I haven't met any. Individual personality issues have nothing to do with doctrine.

Good question....

I will say that most (I hope all) Witnesses are intelligent, thinking people who have made a deep study of the Bible. We wouldn't waste our time if we thought anything in our beliefs was a misuse of scripture.

You too? Cool!
Yeah. It's been so hot here though, so I don't stay out too long in the ministry. I am very sensitive to the heat, so summer is a bad season for me. I hate the heat. I want to move somewhere cold with snow. I love walking on the snow.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

Yeah. It's been so hot here though, so I don't stay out too long in the ministry. I am very sensitive to the heat, so summer is a bad season for me. I hate the heat. I want to move somewhere cold with snow. I love walking on the snow.
Well, you'd like it here! 6 months of winter...I can tell you we're pretty sick of it by the time April comes around! Walking on snow is fun at first, then it get old. And slippery.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

The reason I am curious is because my DH has been corresponding with them, and I feel nervous about it. (No offence to any JW, the only thing I knew of the religion was the 'cultish' reputation they have)

DH is a Christian, and a fairly devout one. (I am still figuring all of that out for myself)

Anyway, the JW came to our door one day, and DH started talking about the bible with them. Then he started going out for coffee with them, and now they have invited him to a bible meeting this weekend.

This bible meeting with them was making me feel uneasy, so I decided to seek out info on them.

Thanks everyone for your help.
What came of it? Did you talk to him about his interest in this religion?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What came of it? Did you talk to him about his interest in this religion?
I was wondering the same thing!