teething?

ucsb robert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When do kittens loose their baby teeth? Is this normally a time for biting on things more often than usual?

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they actually LOSE their teeth or do their teeth just grow??
I'm curious too cuz I have a 3 month old.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They lose them, usually when they are eating. Baby teeth fall out at about 12 weeks of age replaced by permanent teeth.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reall, 12 weeks? Cause I was told around 5 months? Which would mean both of my cats are younger than originally thought. I guess I really should take them both to my vet since the guy that did thier original exam at the shelter is a vet I don't trust.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They start falling out at 12 weeks old, they should have all their permanent teeth by 7 months. They should have 30 teeth total by 7 months

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not sure Jordan has lost any of his baby teeth, certainly not his eye teeth, but two weeks ago when I first met Levi he had lost one of his eye teeth & has since lost the other. I'm trying to get a good idea of their age because I want to make sure they are both neutured before they being spraying, but my vet won't do it before 5 months of age. Thanks for the info. I was going to talk to my vet about the cost of fixing the boys & find out what they require them to have as a part of it. Jordan has his first 2 distemper shots & Levi had his 1st. I know some vets require rabies as well. I'm actually quite supprised as the cost of all of this. The distempers were done by the shelter before I got the kittens & I will finish up their series there at a pretty low cost. They were also tested for FIV & FeLv, but once again the vet that did it I don't have a whole lot of confidence in. Well enough rambling, thanks for the info.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah! Saki is about 14 weeks. Does that mean I should be seeing teeth laying around?

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine finished getting new teeth around 5-6 mths. I was looking for loose teeth, never saw any. They went thru a kinda teething thing where they need to chew on things, especially Mozart. His front long teeth didn't grow directly over the old ones, so for a week or so he had 2 pairs of long teeth side by side, then the old ones were gone.

Factoid: The teeth are usually swallowed so as to not leave evidence of themselves behind.

sandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found several of Charms teeth when she started losing them around 3-4 months old. I found one by her food dish - guess the hard food forced it out and 2 more (I don't recall how). I've saved them to put in a scrapbook I'm making of all my pets. I saved my hedgehog's quills for the same reason.

I didn't ever find any of Lucky's teeth - but maybe she was older and had already lost them by the time we rescued her. Ditto for our older cat, Kitty - she may have already lost hers by the time she found us.

I gave my girls straws to chew on (the bendy ones are great) - of course, we always supervised them. Actually, I got that tip from this site - and my girls still like to play with straws occasionally.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have to say I'm glad I know this now because I think I would have majorly freaked out if I saw a tooth on the ground

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three of Spike's baby teeth.
I have a little collection box I need to put all-things-Spike into, so they'll go in there. I couldn't bear to toss them, they were part of my baby!

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, that is too cute. Sicy, sorry I had to laugh, could just see you picking up a tooth and "#@#!! is that?!" I was looking for their teeth, was hoping they'd miss one, and was disappointed.

Back to the topic, they bite anything at hand. I got a lot of soft stuffed toys for them, but they really appreciate the slightly harder yet springier texture of rubber-like or soft plastic things, those toys are available also.

skyeyoung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure how old my kitty is but I looked up in the net the size suggest it is around 18 weeks old. Just recently I saw the second teeth the longer ones are emerging out but the older ones still intact. Does that mean the older ones will fall out after the newer ones fully developed? He bites me alot and I made a lot of chewy toys too. but this becomes more frequent and more hurtful too when he bites me when I wrestle him.

Last edited: