Teeth problems? Need advice.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Sam is having a major problem with his teeth. I'm not exactly sure how to explain this but heres it goes. I checked him over the other day and his bottom teeth between the two canines are completly being eaten away. He has one left and a very thin one that is loose and about to fall out. His teeth are all very white and looked generally healthy. The last time they were checked was about three weeks ago and they were all in tact. Have any of you had this type of problem with your cats? I am honestly baffled by it. He is a year and four months old so it couldnt be baby teeth.

Thoughts? Sugestions?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not terribly unusual for young cats to lose their incisors (the little teeth in the front). The roots are very small so any inflammation in the gums can push the teeth right out.

If he seems healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry too much, but it would be worth calling the vet to ask his/her opinion.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get him to my vet for an accurate diagnosis. Better safe than sorry.

Lei

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

It's not terribly unusual for young cats to lose their incisors (the little teeth in the front). The roots are very small so any inflammation in the gums can push the teeth right out.

If he seems healthy otherwise I wouldn't worry too much, but it would be worth calling the vet to ask his/her opinion.
So will he be without teeth then for the rest of his life? I have been concerned about him eating like this. hum

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats adapt very well without teeth, and if they are loose and falling out the are probably causing some discomfort anyway, so he his happier without them. Inscisors are not used for chewing food anyway, the molars are (the big teeth in the back).

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can thrive without teeth. Do a dental search on the forum. You will get a lot more info.
You need to have kitty checked out by a vet ASAP.
Good Luck & keep us updated.

Lei

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the main concern is not how the cat will do without the teeth, it's to find the cause of WHY the teeth are falling out on their own. If it's gum disease, this can effect the entire cat's health, not just his teeth.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He seems to be loosing weight by the day as well. The loose teeth havent fallen out all the way yet. The vet said he is pretty healthy but recomended a food change. We picked up some Natrual Choice Indoor formula and started him with that mixed with some of his old food. He doesnt seem to much like it... but the kittens do lol. Sam is actually picking out his old kibble and eating it rather than the new stuff.

stormysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Did the vet give you any explanation at all of why this is happening and how to either prevent it from spreading to his other teeth or to slow the progress?

~gf~
He said it is most likely a vitamin def. problem that has caused the roots of his teeth to loosen. Thats why he sugested the change of diet. Sam's teeth are healthy other than the front few being loose. We are suposed to have a return visit in two weeks to check progress.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to know what you were feeding him too.
It is difficult to imagine a food that is so bad that this would happen.
Did your vet do a full blood panel?