Teeth & Gums

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Giacometti

I understand the concept of raw food can be scary, and certainly for people who eat little or no meat themselves.  Properly done however, it's a lot safer than commercial foods that have caused thousands of deaths (for example melamine contamination in 2007 I think the year was) and terrible illnesses to cats and dogs.  It's because of, as you say, the food companies going for profit above ethics.  Simply freezing the raw meat for 3 days kills off all the bacteria and parasites, and because we use human grade meat, the contamination with pesticides and chemicals that are present in commercial foods are just not there - not to mention when we do raw, we control our hygiene, don't let it sit uneaten to attract pests or go off, and clean the floor properly (bain of my life!  But so satisfying to see him munch like a lion).  There have been countless infringements and recalls of pet food because of contamination due to poor hygiene in pet food plants.  Anyway, if you do become interested, there's so much info in the raw forum and it that is properly researched - even coming from vets - so when and if you ever feel interested, it's there for you.

Certainly sticking with canned food can be a good option - just look at the labels and avoid grains (rice, maize, corn, wheat etc) and carageenan (or vegetable gum407).  I hear your frustration about 'maybe its chicken made with plastic' lol!  There is a way of reading labels that can be helpful and this vet explains it on her site.  And hey presto,  Dr Lisa Pierson also lists some food choices to make it easy for us.  Just scroll right down to the bottom and there is a huge list of commercial foods and her thoughts/analysis.  If you are interested in understanding nutrition and labels etc., then read all of it, but if you want to get to the list, scroll to the bottom:  http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

It sometimes feels so frustrating because of course we want to do the best for our cats, yet there is such rubbish and confusing marketing and many 'bought' people around.  I still advocate for no kibble.  Just go with a good wet food.  Feel free to supplement the diet in terms of SAFE kitchen scraps - raw meat is best, cooked ok but make sure all of it is free of any recipe additions/contamination.  For example, onions and garlic can kill your cat. There are many sites you can google to find what people food is toxic for cats, oh, and by the way, flouride is on that list; definately not something you want to give a cat!

Enjoy your kitty and best wishes :)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Giacometti!

As long as you buy fresh meats from the market and freeze it before you feed, there is no risk of diseases for your cats. And as long as you remember to wash your hands, the risk for you isn't any more than when you cook meat for yourself or anyone else.
:nod:
Pets have actually only been eating commercial foods for the past 100 years. Not nearly enough time to change their diet; the companies would just like you to think that. ;)

If you would like any more information, you can always join the raw forums. :wavey: