teeth falling out

wskline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found my cat, Max's, front tooth yesterday. Now there is a hole where it was. My finance had been saying max's breath stunk but I thought nothing of it until I found this tooth. Should I be concerned? He is still eating well and doesn't seem to be in pain. Help!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Older cat or 5-7 month old kitten? If Max is a kitten, it's normal - that's the only time it is normal for a cat to have teeth fall out.

If Max is an adult you must get him to the vet ASAP. Surely you know how serious infections in the mouth are to a human? (can cause organ damage, coma, death) It is no different for a cat.
You need to find out why a tooth was lost to begin with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wskline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we figure Max must be about 15. I will call vet and get him in ASAP. I've had cats all my life and never had this happen so guess I'm kinda stupid when it comes to their teeth.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're teeth are just like ours. They need dental care to help keep them in good shape (or regular brushing), the teeth need to be checked during checkups, and if a kitty has really bad breath, yellow-plaque covered teeth or worse, redness around the gums and so on, they need to see a vet.

Since he's old, maybe it could just be a tooth lost through old age. But there's now an open wound in his mouth that will need some antibiotics.

I'm very glad to hear that you're getting him in to see the vet!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so partial to animals named Max. Give the big old boy a hug. I hope he will be okay. How wonderful for him to arrived at 15.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor guy. I hope he is doing ok. He might need a good dental cleaning but with his age the vet may not recommend it. Periodontal disease is very common in cats which unfortunately can cause tooth loss. I will be sending good thoughts your way. Chester Cheetah hopes he feels ok too!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found one of Holland's teeth a couple months ago on my carpet, she is well past losing her baby teeth. Her breath had always been pretty stinky too, but I never thought much about it either. I took her in and she was diagnosed with stomatitis and had to have ALL her teeth pulled. It just killed me - she's not even 2 years old yet. But since her surgery she has been like a whole new cat, and at least I don't have to worry about any dental problems in the future!!

From what my vet told me, stomatitis is pretty common in cats, and in my Holland's case, she said it was genetic. I still feel bad that she has no teeth, but she eats like a champ now, and I can tell she feels better than she ever has.

I hope Max is OK!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wskline

I found my cat, Max's, front tooth yesterday. Now there is a hole where it was. My finance had been saying max's breath stunk but I thought nothing of it until I found this tooth. Should I be concerned? He is still eating well and doesn't seem to be in pain. Help!!
Any news on Max? Have you gotten him in to the vet?

Originally Posted by Winchester

You might want to talk to your vet about FORL - feline ondoclastic resorptive lesion. Just to be on the safe side.

Here's a link for some more info: http://www.dentalvet.com/vets/cats/f...y_and_care.htm

Good luck with your Max.
Tolly has had FORL a couple of times. A very painful condition.