Teeth extraction recovery

cactor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I had to take my cat in for a teeth cleaning and the extracted two teeth. She has little stitches where they teeth were and she's on antibiotics now to prevent infection.  She had this done on Wednesday and she seems to be healing fine, but today it looks like it's a little more swollen than it was. Is this common? I haven't given her any dry food since the procedure, but I wanted to start her back on it, but this concerns me. Does anyone have any advice? I'd greatly  appreciate it. Thanks!!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little swelling is normal but usually happens within the first 24-48 hours.  I would consult your vet tomorrow about it.  Keep her on canned food, it's healthier for her than dry.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Cactor! Love your kitty's Christmas outfit. Too cute! I'm glad your kitty is healing well after the extractions. My Simon had to have a lot of his teeth extracted and he stayed on soft food for 3 weeks after the procedure. He isn't a big fan of can food so he also got very well watered down Fancy Feast dry. Did the vet give you any instructions about how long to keep your kitty off of the dry food?

Will (s)he allow you to look at her gums? My boy stayed swollen for over a week, but he had a lot of teeth removed. As Cprcheetah suggested, a call to the vet sure wouldn't hurt anything. Hope (s)he gets along  well and please keep us posted. Don't forget to post some pictures when you get the chance.

Last edited: