Teeth cleaning under anesthesia

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued my cat eight months ago.  His teeth were in decent shape, a little bit of tartar and he was given a clean bill of health at the time.  He was checked recently and the vet said his teeth have tarter and his gums are showing early signs of disease.  She recommended a deep cleaning under anesthesia at a cost of $834.

I thought I was taking care of his teeth by adding a dental treatment to his water every day since I got him.  Only problem is that he doesn't drink that much water.

I am hesitant to put him under anesthesia.  If I do go ahead and get the deep cleaning done this time, then how can I maintain his teeth care so that he doesn't have to keep going through this?

Is anesthesia the only option of getting his teeth back to prime condition, or are there any other options?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like humans some cats have good teeth some have bad teeth. Some like my cat have odd facial anatomy that doesn't provide for adequate natural rinsing of the back of the mouth after eating. She has to get dental cleanings 2 times a year. There really isn't any other way to remove the tartar other than to put them under. There are cat tooth brushes you can use to keep up dental health. Arm & hammer makes cotton swabs pre filled with tooth cleaner I have had luck with. $800 is kind of steep for a dental cleaning though. I have multiple cats and the only way I could afford to have their teeth cleaned yearly is through Banfields health plans. I have never had any issues with my clinic and the monthly payment plan allows me to give my cats the care they need. Once cats get to a certain age they do need claiming a yearly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to look for those swabs.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can have blood work done before the dental, since you're worried. My cats cleaning came to about $300 with no extractions. After the dental, you should start brushing his teeth daily with an enzymatic cat toothpaste. I use CET. I heard that the water dental additives make the water taste weird and makes the cat stop drinking? Also, you can give him raw bones or raw meat to chew on to help clean plaque. Good luck.

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  He just had blood work ($350) because the vet thinks he may have early signs of asthma.  Everything came back fine.  How easy is it to brush their teeth and how do you do it?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my kitties have had dental work done, one has had it done twice.  The cost of dentals vary widely by area, I know where I live the cost seems higher than average from what I have seen here.  The most I have spent is almost $1600 which included multiple extractions.  Your vet may be including one or two extractions in the estimate, it is very common to find teeth that need extracting after they get started with the work.

They do make little latex type finger covers that have a rough side on them.  Many kitties will tolerate those where they won't tolerate a brush no matter how small they are.  All you can really do is start trying it and doing as much as kitty will let you do.  

Last edited:

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.  I took him to a person who does cleaning without anesthesia, but he wouldn't stay still so she couldn't do it.  Looks like he will have to go under and get it done.  Like everything else, I'm learning that pet dentistry is fairly new and not all old school vets are up on it.  I'll find the best vet possible then get it done.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thanks.  He just had blood work ($350) because the vet thinks he may have early signs of asthma.  Everything came back fine.  How easy is it to brush their teeth and how do you do it?
You can definitely ask you vet to show you how.  My vet always demonstrates nail clipping and teeth brushing as part of the normal examination. 

Also, there are a lot of How to videos on Youtube.  

First of all, start slow.  Your cat may not like you touching her mouth and may squirm.  The videos outlines some steps well. My cats are still learning to tolerate it.  Use lots of treats as bribes!  Lol.  Also, I've heard that other cats really like the taste of the CET poultry flavor.  I have the seafood flavor, which smells awful, and my cats don't seem to like or hate it.  I have the Poultry flavor coming in the mail now.  

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought the C.E.T. cat cleaning kit, comes with a "cat toothbrush" and a sample of toothpaste.  It was only about $9 on ebay.  Even if you can't brush and can get a bit of the toothpaste on your finger into his mouth that will still help, the toothpaste alone can make a difference :).  $800 is extremely expensive for a dental!  Did they include any extractions, bloodwork, anesthesia catheter in that price??  At the clinic I work at a basic dental for a cat is $140 (not including bw, extractions, ancath), and I've had people complain about the price!  I know it is different depending on where people live and whatnot but that seems awfully hefty.