Teeth Brushing And Teeth Cleaning

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot is having his dental done next Friday. We usually brush our cats teeth every day. Is there a point where we should stop doing this prior to his dental? How long should we wait after it to resume?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can brush the teeth right up to the day of the dental. It won't cause any issue. I'd wait a few days post-dental to resume. If teeth were removed, you probably should wait longer to avoid irritating the areas where the teeth used to be. You can ask the vet howl ong you should wait before brushing again.

How do you brush his teeth?

With pet toothpaste and a small pet toothbrush and lots of patience and treats :) Here's a video of how to brush a cat's teeth: Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you brush his teeth?
My husband holds him and I use cat toothpaste and a baby toothbrush. All of our cats get their teeth brushed. And they get a treat when they are done. They don't love it, but its easy enough.

You can brush the teeth right up to the day of the dental. It won't cause any issue. I'd wait a few days post-dental to resume. If teeth were removed, you probably should wait longer to avoid irritating the areas where the teeth used to be. You can ask the vet howl ong you should wait before brushing again.
The cleaning is mostly just going to be to take out the tartar that built up on the back teeth before we even got him. He shouldn't be losing any teeth. I will definitely ask when we pick him up. The vet is very big on people brushing their pet's teeth so they'll probably know.