Teen Angst Versus Aggression?

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy (neutered) is about to turn 1! He's gotten a lot of spunk in his personality as he's grown up, which sometimes crosses the line into aggression.

Last night, he and I were sitting in a window watching a big storm roll in. He was a little squirrelly (maybe anxious about the storm?), but when I pet him a bit to try and reassure him, he was fine and then started trying to bite my hand. I stopped petting him, went back to just watching the rain roll in, and he lunged at my arm, scampered away, then cycled back. He sat in front of me, sort of hovering off his butt, eyes big, ears slightly back, a single squeaked meow before he tried batting a paw at my shoulder. He's been doing this more the past couple months, where he'll just attack like that, sort of squaring up beforehand.

Do I just do my best to divert him to toys in this situation? I put him in his carrier in the moment, which was a darker and quieter space in case the storm was scaring him. I don't think that he's necessarily scared every time he does this, though.

Any ideas?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he is playing but like all teenagers pushing the limits of what is okay. A firm no and then removing yourself should stop him. Or give him a kick type toy the next time he looks like he is ready for a tussle with you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would divert his attention if at all possible. A kickeroo works great. He may be displaying redirected aggression with that storm approaching ,where they transfer their fear and aggression towards whatever is nearest, in this case you. Redirection or leaving the area works great here. He is at that age where he may be developing overstimulation tendencies too, a few of my cats have had this, where they tolerate only so much 'stimulation', like petting or handling before they lash out. My Chrissy tolerated two strokes, no more or you got a scratch as many of my relatives who didn't believe me found out. Watch for dilated pupils, a swishing tail, puffed fur, or low growling, then back off. In your case, ears back and the crouching. Redirect him or leave him alone. All the luck!