Technical questions

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm a moron, but I have a few questions I hope somebody here can answer.

The first couple are about this site:

I was cleaning out my accumulated messages about new posts from my e-mail. One of them, when I clicked the link, I got a message that it wasn't a valid address; that means the thread got deleted, right? But another one gave me a message that either I wasn't logged in (I was) or I didn't have access to that thread. What does that mean?

For people who have an icon with their names, how do you get pictures for that? I picked one from the list, but lots of people have things from other places. Where did you get them and how did you add them to your info?

The other one is for AOL instant messenger users:

Where do you get the icons for buddy images for that? Maybe I'm just too picky. The sites I've seen seem to have only 10 or so images. Does it make a difference if I'm on a Mac? Maybe there's fewer things available.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, so I can't be of much help but I can tell you that it is possible to change your avator to something that isn't a choice. You know who you need to talk to is Deb25. Not only did she change my avator to something that isn't a choice, but she has a MAC. As far as icons for IM, you can do a search. I've been able to load up my own, so it's not hard.

sorry I wasn't more help

G

ghostuser

Sunlion....

I made my own avatar in a graphics program. They have to measure 50x50 pixils in size. They can be added by going to your user panel and selecting "edit profile". You will find the place to add it at the bottom of that list of stuff. Same place you went to add the one you are using now.

Hope that helps some but it has been awhile since I did mine and really dont remember exactly how I did it.

Meme

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by sunlion
Okay, I'm a moron, but I have a few questions I hope somebody here can answer.

The first couple are about this site:

I was cleaning out my accumulated messages about new posts from my e-mail. One of them, when I clicked the link, I got a message that it wasn't a valid address; that means the thread got deleted, right? But another one gave me a message that either I wasn't logged in (I was) or I didn't have access to that thread. What does that mean?
Perhaps you cleaned the cookies out from the site. Cookies: data stored in your computer from websites so that you can access that site in a much more efficient manner. Space is used on your hard drive if you don't clean out your temporary files every now and then where cookies are stored. Doing so can help your computer run quicker.

OR

Maybe you copied and pasted a the proper link to take you to that thread. At times, there's more than one link when we receive our mail.

I did my own avatar from another pic I reduced using a photo editor...you can pic one out if you'd like and I'd be more than happy to help you. You can use a regular pic of your own or you can find avatars and download them to your hard drive or disk. If you detail what you're looking to do, I'd be more than happy to help.

Go to your AOL buddy list setup...on that you'll see where you can add buddies/remove...you have a privacy setting...options for IM's and then you'll have another tab for the icons; unfortunately you are limited to the icons available on the Instant Messenger feature. I think they have about 100...but, they're not for everyone :laughing2
I think your personality is conveyed more through a personal avatar here, moreso than the AOL IM icons by far!

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is what I have tried to do. I found a design that I would like to add to my signature. I found it in www.pcfonts.com. The instructions were to right click on the picture, then go to Save As Picture, then choose a filename, then click on ok. I did that. Then I went back and I tried to retrieve it using Microsoft Photo Editor. First it said that no file format information can be found in the Registry. I click on okay and it puts me on the program. Then I go to open it as z0204.gif. I got a message that says that the Photo Editor cannot find or open it. Or I tried to copy it so that I can send it to one of you that can put it on for me. I am so frustrated I am pulling my hair!
Can anyone help me? The site has two pictures one of which I want to add.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! Now, how do I keep it there? I also liked this one. Tell me which ones do you like best and I will keep it or both. It was hard to deside between the two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catarina,

Are using a pc or maybe a different version of AIM? On my buddy list window, I have a tab for who's online and a tab for set up. The icons folder is in my preferences file, which is a pull down menu from the edit option in the bar across the top of my screen.

Anyway, there were only about 20 icon choices, and about 5 of them are icons that are credited to buddies of mine. For example, hubby has a Daffy Duck icon, and it shows up in my icon folder under his screen name. But I don't want the same icon someone else is using! I want my own avatar! {grin}

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just my personal opinion, but I like the second one. the first one makes me dizzy after awhile. it's too busy, but that is just my opinion.

i have no idea how you keep it up
but i'm sure you'll figure it out. you've done a great job so far.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so wonderful that it worked. I will see what everyone else thinks. If I can do this, maybe I can do the photos of Rascal. I just need to use the scanner and see how I can cut the images. I am learning, slowly but I am. Meme, how did you put the image of the flag with your signature?

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by sunlion
Catarina,

Are using a pc or maybe a different version of AIM? On my buddy list window, I have a tab for who's online and a tab for set up. The icons folder is in my preferences file, which is a pull down menu from the edit option in the bar across the top of my screen.

Anyway, there were only about 20 icon choices, and about 5 of them are icons that are credited to buddies of mine. For example, hubby has a Daffy Duck icon, and it shows up in my icon folder under his screen name. But I don't want the same icon someone else is using! I want my own avatar! {grin}
Hi Sunlion,

I'm using AIM95 which is the updated version and will usually have updates to download if need be. It's actually grown in size! I didn't realize all the cool choices of icons on there with so many different categories. I have AOL, but right now, I'm just using my AIM cause I'm on DSL with BellSouth. It's much faster and I can't stand the resources AOL pulls out of my RAM.

Tell me what are you using, AOL IM or AIM95...
..we'll get down to the bottom of this yet! :LOL:

Love & Peace,
Cat

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing Colby, the first pic is cute, but the flashing bothers me. I'd go with the second one.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally was able to put an avatar though I would prefer to be from my disk, but I don't know how to reduce it. And I still have to figure how to put the picture with my signature.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be happy to reduce the pic for you, Nena. In fact I am more than happy to make avatars for anyone who wants one.

Just attach the pic to a post. Do you want your name on it or anything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catarina,

I think I am using AOL Instant Messenger, which hubby always calls AIM. It does not seem to be AIM95. We don't use AOL for anything else, it's not fast enough and I find it limited. (So I have excite! which is the next thing to bankrupt, as if that's better!
)

We have DSL, too. We have 3 computers online so it's nice to have the bandwidth.

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And to get a photo to stay in your signature, you'll have to go get some webspace to upload it to. The tricky art is finding free webspace providers which still allow you to cross-link images! I use f2s, but you need to be familiar with FTP to be able to use it.

Linking images from another server to show up here uses bandwidth, and bnadwidth costs a server money, so most free providers have made it so people can't do this anymore. It's also bad to cross link and image from a page whose owner you don't know, BTW (just for info's sake)

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunlion, to get your own avatar on AIM, you need to save a 50X50 pixel photo somewhere onto your computer (like into the AIM program's folder under program files) Then you go to My AIM --> Edit Options --> Edit Preferences --> Buddy Icons. There you will see the list of standard ICON, but you will use the little button that says "Browse PC" Then select where your little picture you saved is stored. Viola!

But if you ever move this picture to another folder, you'll have to do all this over again.