Techie question - external hard drives

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys. I ended up getting a WD 500gb ext hard drive - the desktop type that runs while the computer is running. I gave it a lot of thought and decided a semi-permanent one would be better. And sometime in the near future, should I need a portable drive - to take large presentations to clients, etc., then I will invest in one of those as well.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How large are your presentations? You may be able to just use a USB drive for those. Very portable and solid state.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

How large are your presentations? You may be able to just use a USB drive for those. Very portable and solid state.
They come in all sizes. I use a 2 GB one for school, hubby's got an 8 GB one for his music, and I know you can get ones with 16 or 32 GB.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hey, guys. I ended up getting a WD 500gb ext hard drive - the desktop type that runs while the computer is running. I gave it a lot of thought and decided a semi-permanent one would be better. And sometime in the near future, should I need a portable drive - to take large presentations to clients, etc., then I will invest in one of those as well.
I think you made the right decision. How do you like it?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had it shipped from Circuit City. Hasn't arrived yet.

Right now, presentations are not that large, but if I do a large PPt or there is the prospect of video... I'm not sure that would fit on a flash drive. How big to they get? I've seen them as large as 16 GB...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm seeing info for ones up to 64gigs - priced at a couple thousand dollars though!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm seeing info for ones up to 64gigs - priced at a couple thousand dollars though!
Yikes!!!! I"m better off getting a portable ... 320-500 gb for 100-129... with USB plug n play..