Teacup/munchkin kittens & servals!

meaghan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so im new to this site. But i really want to get a teacup persian kitten and a serval kitten. I have done so much research on them but im not quite sure where to buy them at. I know all the laws about servals. I dont want to spend an outrageous price on them, but any advice would help so much! Thanx

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, there is no such thing. A "teacup" is simply breeding runts to runts.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cheap specialty breed cats and kittens often come from irreputable breeders.

All the research you did didn't lead you to any breeders? Are you sure it is a good idea to own both a Serval and a teacup kitten?

You will end up paying thousands of dollars.

Plus you will need to think about how expensive the enclosure will need to be for your Serval, I do believe most places have laws that require you to have a secure enclosure that must meet specific guidelines before you can own a wild animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaghan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

Cheap specialty breed cats and kittens often come from irreputable breeders.

All the research you did didn't lead you to any breeders? Are you sure it is a good idea to own both a Serval and a teacup kitten?

You will end up paying thousands of dollars.

Plus you will need to think about how expensive the enclosure will need to be for your Serval, I do believe most places have laws that require you to have a secure enclosure that must meet specific guidelines before you can own a wild animal.
Yes my research led me to alot of breeders, but i would like advice from anyone who might breed them or has one to lead me to a reputable breeder thats not going to rip me off or anything.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I've been here for a few months now and I don't think anybody on here breeds Servals or owns one.

The closest I think we have is a member who has cougars.

Have you considered a Savannah instead? They are much easier to obtain. It's all the excitement of owning a wild cat, with many domestic personality traits.
They are beautiful animals and look a lot like their Serval parent.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reputable breeder and Teacup do not go in a sentence together.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Reputable breeder and Teacup do not go in a sentence together.
To be honest, I've never heard of a "teacup" kitten... I've heard of Munchkins as being abnormalities in normal litters of kittens. Like the dwarves of the cat family, but I've never heard of them being "bred".

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teacup Persians are not a real breed.
It is made up and can not even be shown.
You are asking for trouble if you get one.
You can always get a Savannah which is part serval.
My sister wants one and has wrote a few breeders.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

"teacup" any breed (cats or dogs) is a rip off and poorly bred animal with a lot of health problems and short life span.

You do NOT want to buy from anyone selling so called teacup pets. You need to do a lot more research. Only backyard breeders and puppy/kitten mills will breed them and take your money and run at the first sign of trouble.

I disagree with breeding Munchkin cats, but that's my personal opinion. Servals are WILD cats - they are not meant to be pets and some people are trying to breed them into domestic lines. Savannahs are probably what you really are looking on (and there is contraversy about them too).

Avoid so called breeders who advertise "teacup", "micro/mini", "doll-face" or any other marketing ploy and are breeding cats outside the normal standard of the breed. Maybe research on what the breed is supposed to look like and then find breeders who breed TO the standard, guarantee health, and show their cats and know what they are doing.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People breed munchkins, so I'm sure you could find one. I don't think this type of cat should exist and be called a breed, but I don't make the rules.

Why would you want a Serval? Fine in the house as a kitten, but once it grows up, you'll have to put it in a pen outside.
Servals are large hissing wild cats, that spray buckets of urine like a waterhose.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Why would you want a Serval? Fine in the house as a kitten, but once it grows up, you'll have to put it in a pen outside.
Servals are large hissing wild cats, that spray buckets of urine like a waterhose.
Too funny! You made my day with that. . . I'd also be very afraid of a Serval mistaking a Persian runt for a fluffy snack!

If you like the wild look of the Serval, have you considered one of the many breeds available that have wild looks but gentle personalities? Afterall, I'm sure you want a pet more than anything else. If not, be prepared to spend tens of thousands of dollars for the actual Serval and appropriate housing. I'm sure you'll also have to look hard for a vet who specializes in exotic pets--not sure you can take a Serval to just any practice!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to ask why you would want an actual Serval as well? If anything, you should get a Savannah. I personally don't like the look of Servals, but Savannahs, WOW they're gorgeous!

sammyp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, owning a serval is definetly not an impossibilty, however it may well be a lot more than you've bargained for. I would suggest volunteering at a sanctuary or some other place that keeps servals and finding out about every aspect of owning one that way. At a later stage, when you're truly certain a serval is an animal you're able to keep, you could look into getting one. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but many people who keeps these animals have to make life-style changes to accommodate them, including not being able to go on holidays, and making provisions to keep them seperate from other pets (which they very well may not get along with.) Educate yourself FULLY before considering a wild cat.

angela289

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Munchkins are becoming more and more common as a breed. However, they are not TEACUPS - I breed them myself, and all of them are the exact same size as my other domestic cats, they just have short legs. Anyone breeding teacup anything is asking for health problems and this happens in lots of breeds of dog and cat, not just the Munchkin. I've never had a health issue with any of my Munchkins, unless you own one, don't judge them from what you read on google. A lot of research has been done before they were accepted as a breed. It's when people cross them with other purebred cats (they should be crossed to domestics ONLY) that they inherit problems such as kidney problems from persians etc.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Munchkins are becoming more and more common as a breed. However, they are not TEACUPS - I breed them myself, and all of them are the exact same size as my other domestic cats, they just have short legs. Anyone breeding teacup anything is asking for health problems and this happens in lots of breeds of dog and cat, not just the Munchkin. I've never had a health issue with any of my Munchkins, unless you own one, don't judge them from what you read on google. A lot of research has been done before they were accepted as a breed. It's when people cross them with other purebred cats (they should be crossed to domestics ONLY) that they inherit problems such as kidney problems from persians etc.
Well this is an old thread

Where do you find the domestics that are used? And are they tested for anything?

I don't agree with them as a breed, nor do I agree with Scottish Folds etc. But not my place to tell others not to breed them, I just don't own or breed those breeds.