Teaching "old" cat new tricks

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear Mupcat, the thing about toilet training a cat takes a lot of time and patience, and then you have to allow for spray that doesn't quite make it. I did not see the articles mentioning how you manage to get the cat to remember a good position for defacating. I was thinking the other day that it would be convenient to invent a potty chair for cats that would give their legs proper support at the proper angles. The fact that a cat can manage to hit a drain opening in a wash basin is proof to me that with the right design it would be a possibility.

The thing is, time for training and then reinforcement of training. If I had had one or two cats, I would have thought it worth the effort just because it was interesting to see if one could do it successfully. But I have in excess of 14 cats at the moment. You might find some articles on how to do the training on the internet.

I confess most of my cats will happily use a sort of community litter box quite comfortably, and even, I think, with a certain pleasure that they are covering over each other's scents. Of course, a community litter box needs to be dealt with as a priority job several times a day. It only comes to that during wet weather, when none of our desert-familiar cats wants to go outside. Cats, like people, are very individual about how they conduct their intimate activities, and the best thing is to go along as you can.

I have a small window that is perpetually open. The cats can jump up to the sill from inside and out, and thus have access to food, the airconditioner in the summer and the warmth in the winter. Some cats prefer to stay in most of the time, and others do not. Some want to go off for days or weeks at a time, and then they suddenly appear through the window and stick around for some weeks or months. I think a cat door is a very good idea if you don't mind the cats going out. If you have a cat-escape-proof fence around your yard and a cat door for the house, then you have the best of everything.

I would continue to try Hissy's idea of the litterbox with dirt. The intention is not a huge depth, but something that resembles the ground outside. Then doggedly putting her into the box if she wets in the house. My extended family is proof that ferel cats can eventually become indoor cats with proper manners, but sometimes it takes a long time. Patience.

Peace,