Teaching cats to be handled

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had my kittens since they were six weeks old, and both are very social and friendly, but I've never done much "manhandling" of them. Miami is naturally very agreeable and will tolerate having her paws touched and squeezed (gently) and rubbed, and will let me look at her teeth and ears and rear end just fine.

Cairo on the other hand turns into a hell kitten as soon as I try to do any of those things with her lol.

I've started picking them up when they are sleepy and going over their paws, claws, ears, rear ends, tummies, and mouths so they get used to being handled like that, but is there anything else I can do to help them get used to the idea?

Should they ever need medical treatment and care I want it to be as easy for me and stress free for them as possible

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing the right things.  Honestly, ideally, these behaviors would have been started sooner but given where you are now, you are doing the right stuff! Just try to take it at their pace and be consistent!

Good luck 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sounds like you're doing everything right! If you do handle your kitties when they're awake. reward them with treats. you're checking a paw? give them a treat. Checking the other 3 paws? give them 3 treats, one for each paw. checking the teeth? give them a treat, etc. Over time, if even your Cairo doesn't like being handled, she will at least be calm and tolerate it, even without the presence of treats.

Be patient and consistent. and good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tolusai, I meant to do this from day one but it was a roller coaster ride with them at first and then I just sort of never did.

Cairo let me check her ears and teeth and paws today though with minimal protesting. I'll wait til she's good about it asleep before I do it awake. Treats are a good idea though :)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tolusai, I meant to do this from day one but it was a roller coaster ride with them at first and then I just sort of never did.

Cairo let me check her ears and teeth and paws today though with minimal protesting. I'll wait til she's good about it asleep before I do it awake. Treats are a good idea though
Treats worked out well for me. trimming their claws USED to be a huge headache for me. I would need another set of hands to help me. I literally used to clip one claw...and give one treat...and then slowly to...clip one paw, give one treat. Now I can trim both my kitties claws alone. i don't need help. They both wait patiently for me to finish so they can have their treats afterwards. lollll. Aside from the occasional meow, they don't fight it anymore. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's encouraging!! I'll definitely try it with treats next time I try with them awake :)