Teaching Appropriate Play/Curbing Aggression

ZukoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m a first time cat owner of a sweet boy named Zuko. He was brought home at 4 weeks old, and is now almost 4 months old.

I am concerned about teaching him to play nicely and properly socialize him as he didn’t have any litter mates or his mother from an early age.

We don’t have any other cats, and although we do have a 4 yo Golden Retriever he plays with; She is so much bigger and a dog, so she doesn’t really scold him if he chews, kicks, etc. She plays rough with her without her really caring so I don’t think he will learn much from that.

We do our best to redirect his attention to toys or yelp when he bites us; We’ve tried holding completely still, pushing our arm towards him, slowly moving it away. I’ve read so many articles about what to do, but he doesn’t seem dissuaded and will immediately bite us again no matter what.

Sometimes it’s out of nowhere. We’ll be sitting on the couch and he pounced. Sometimes it will be that he’s playing with a toy and turns on us. When we walk around the house he often nips at our ankles.

When he is getting sleepy but hasn’t been able to nap really (keeps getting woken up by us moving or the dog) or is trying to fight going to sleep (which like a toddler he sometimes does) he gets particularly bite-y. These bites are often harder and more aggressive feeling too. They might leave whelps through our sweater.

He really is a sweet boy; he loves to cuddle up and he does love to play with toys as well, and although he used to scratch me often, he has learned not to use claws on us. The biting I’m at a loss for however.

Any advice would be helpful!!

Proof he can be a nice boy 😂
7EB2A6AF-6E27-468F-BB9C-6D1A2647EF87.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm my first suggestion would be to get him a kitten Buddy of the same sex, around the same age & with a similar temperament/energy level.

My second thought is to a high pitch wailing ooooooowwwwwwww every time you get the slightest hint of fang or claw. Over react & really sell it that humans are furless wusses who can’t take claws & fangs.

Learning to read his body language a bit better may help. If your moving will disturb him like “I gotta get up” then move. It is what I do with my cat when I need to get up & he is on me.

I’m not sure if this will help or not. My cat really missed rough housing with his brother. So I would wrestle him with my hand under a comforter. He loved it until I got the “bright” idea that he should sometimes loose! 🤣

So this is Nick (black) & Jackie. They are littermates and were always bff. So I includdd a kitten snuggle picture, what their play fights look like picture & lastly a picture of them just snuggling. They taught each other boundaries, how to pull their punches and not to bite each other’s balls during a play fight (that was a rough 2 weeks! 😉) Plus my scaredy cat Jackie is braver when his calm brother is around.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and around 4 months their energy levels are insanely high. You need to tire their minds to tire their bodies. Harness training (after he is vaccinated) or a catio might be ideal. If not bird feeders by a window he can look out of us great. (You can open the window & let them look out the screen when the weather is good.)

I have a hyper adult cat. You have to tire out their minds to tire out their bodies. Simple puzzle feeders so he works for his dry food. Also on rainy days I pull out 2 hexabugs (you could 4 down) & let the kitten go wild. They move and navigate themselves around and work on any hard flooring (avoid the kitchen they go under the fridge or dishwasher.) That way he can use his brain and not be so wound up.

I buy lots of interactive toys and put them out of his reach most of the time. I pull them out on rainy days.

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
At his age he is just full of himself, has way too much energy and no cat friends to correct him when he gets too rough. If you push him away and yelp and he comes back, two things for you to try. First put your hand on his scruff and gently hold him down for a minute. This is what mama cat would do with an a
obnoxious kitten who is biting her. Another is to simply pick him up and hold him for a few minutes. I used to take my wild child for a walk around the house. Holding her let her know I was the boss, and when she was in that crazy mood, being still for a few minutes was the last thing she wanted.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm lucky that my cat learned fast what it means when I say no at a normal tone. Try clicker training.no yelling or using your hands. Instead he's getting more hyped up. It may be that when your dog is not interested in playing,he tries to play with you the same way. Pull out a wand toy,through a ball, turn on the TV or use your tablet to make noise so he is distracted

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
will take time lots of time and patience alot of patience took me the better part of 2 years and then some. to get graycie to learn to play nice no claws and gentle bites. that dont leave marks good way is just walk away deny thim attention only for a lil bit he is a child still after all doesnt know better as yet. he will get the idea in time."We’ve tried holding completely still, pushing our arm towards him, slowly moving it away." i would advise against doing that your offering your hand as prey to hunt then(teasing him) and worse he will get the idea your hand is a toy. ok to bite swat etc.a cat will snag/swipe/claw and draw blood faster than you can snatch your hand away and even if you get away you give him the impression of like"hey they leave me alone when i do that' you dont want your cat to communicate that way with you.its better with an annoyed meow to warn you off before any bites or claw swiping